Bursting the administrative bubble

Bursting the administrative bubble
By Mary McConnell
educatingourselves.blogs.deseretnews.com
Friday, October 26, 2012 at 8:47 am MST

Several blog readers have responded grumpily to my posts suggesting that states might be better off investing incremental education dollars in raising teacher salaries rather than hiring more teachers. Fair enough. But one point many of us have agreed on is that too much of the education budget has gone to hiring more and more administrators. I’ve linked to at least one study that supports this point. Now I’ve got much better ammunition!

According to today’s edition of the Education Gadfly Weekly (published by the Thomas B. Fordham Institute), a new study has found that:

[quote]Between 1950 and 2009, the number of K-12 public school students increased by 96 percent. During that same period, the number of full-time equivalent (FTE) school employees grew by 386 percent. Of those personnel, the number of teachers increased by 252 percent, while the ranks of administrators and other staff grew by 702 percent—more than 7 times the increase in students.
[/quote]
This is a blog, commenting on a news story. One thing I wish it would have delved into, at least some, is why adminicrats/educrats have multiplied so. A significant share of the blame would have to go to Federal and state regulations, which require people to grind out the paper on an ongoing basis to demonstrate that schools and school districts are in compliance with the regs. I suspect the courts have not helped either, indirectly, in the form of collecting data as a preemptive defense against lawsuits. It would be interesting, as long as I’m skewering sacred cows, to know the kind of administrative overhead burden unions force in order for school districts to discipline inept and wrong-doing teachers.

No correlation between teacher pay and student performance.

Our schools are bad and getting worse there is NO way to turn this around until 2 things happen:

1. NO UNIONS

2. NO FEDERAL GOVT control[LEFT][/LEFT]