“Cabbagegate”, Georgia farmer fined $5K for growing too many veggies

Government gone wild.

GEORGIA: DeKalb County is suing a local farmer for growing too many vegetables, but he said he will fight the charges in the ongoing battle neighbors call “Cabbagegate.”

Fig trees, broccoli and cabbages are among the many greens that line the soil on Steve Miller’s more than two acres in Clarkston, who said he has spent fifteen years growing crops to give away and sell at local farmers markets.

“It’s a way of life, like it’s something in my blood,” said Miller.

In January, Dekalb County code enforcement officers began ticketing him for growing too many crops for the zoning and having unpermitted employees on site.

Miller stopped growing vegetables this summer and the charges were put on hold as he got the property rezoned.

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2010/09/14/georgia-farmer-fined-5k-for-growing-too-many-veggies/

Wait a minute… I thought we were being encouraged to grow ‘Victory Gardens’.

We need a victory garden like the White House has. Oh wait they do not eat any of that anyway.

Didn’t they find contamination of some sort?

[quote=“Tiny1, post:4, topic:27555”]
Didn’t they find contamination of some sort?
[/quote]I believe sewer slunge was used on it for fertilizer.

Toxic Sludge Taints the White House | Center for Media and Democracy

Yeah,all the greenies were advocating that crud. I investigated it, prompted by a co worker, and found a danger of pathogens. I’d use it on ornamentals, but never anything consumable. My veggies are fed by my own homemade compost, as well as an organic compost produced at a nearby organic farmer. If I need more, I use fish emulsion and seaweed extract.

Our garden did pretty well this year without any kind of fertilizer. Heck we grew to many peppers, we had to start giving them away because they were taking up space in our freezer. Over all it was a good year despite the heat.

I had an extremely good pepper harvest. We were a bit dry, here,so my bell peppers could have been a bit bigger, but were adequate sized. My cayennes went berserk. I pickled 6 jars and dried about 1/2 bushel. My pablanos, serranos and jalepenos were awesome.
All my heat loving crops were great,but my brassicas and lettuces suffered with the heat. You are correct, though. 'Twas a very good harvest, overall.

We had Jalapenos and Tabasco peppers. My grandmother makes hot sauce with them. She made some one day with the peppers we picked and my goodness it was hot. Out tomatoes didn’t do half bad and okra was ok. We didn’t get much squash or cucumbers though. Our blackberry and plum harvest was excellent though. Time to get ready for winter.

I got slammed with summer squash. I grow 3 types. Yellow, zucchini and patty pan. I still have enough frozen to last the winter. We have wild blackberries and they always do well. Plums are another story. I planted a Santa Rosa tree 2 years ago,and this year, it gave up the ghost. It had many challenges ranging from being a dear rub, to squirrels jumping all over it. I also have 4 types of apples, 2 varieties of pears, peaches, 3 types of grapes, and pomegranates. My asparagus gave us enough spears that I had to give some away. Ran out of room in the little chest freezer.
I’d be lost with out my garden.

Dang you have a lot. Lets see what did we have in our garden:

Vegetables:
Yellow patty pan squash
Jalapeno and Tabasco peppers
Tomatoes
Okra
Cucumbers
Peas(purple hull)

Fruit:
wild blackberries
wild plums
pears
figs
peaches
pomagrantes

We have enough veggies to last the winter but we go through fruit like wildfire. We have a garden because we do not trust the stuff you get at the store. The only things we get from the store are grapes and bananas and occasionally lettuce. We used to hunt our own meat but my grandfather got enfezema and I never got to learn the tricks of the trade from him. I have eaten all kinds of things from deer o snakes to coons. All tastes like chicken to me.(except the deer)

Hunting isn’t hard,cleaning the game can be.

I grow three crops per year. About Feb 1., I start brassicas (broccoli,cabbage,etc.) Collard, mustard and turnip greens, Sugar snaps, and sweet peas, radishes, onions(3 kinds), beets and Carrots. They harvest between April and May. As I harvest, I replace with the summer crops; tomatoes, corn, green beans, squashes, peppers, eggplant, cukes, cantaloupe and honeydew, spaghetti squash and ground cherries. Then, as Fall approaches, I go back to the cool weather crops, and add kohlrabi, and cauliflower.

Well, at least they don’t have to go far to get it.

Hello remember the AAA? (Hint:FDR, New deal)