California votes for more taxes

In approving a ballot measure sought by Gov. Jerry Brown to raise taxes for several years, Californians took a step toward improving the state’s fiscal situation and avoiding education cuts.
According to the California Secretary of State’s website, 53.9% of voters backed the measure, Proposition 30, while 46.1% voted against it, with all votes counted except for provisional and some mailed-in ballots.

California Voters Approve Higher Taxes - WSJ.com

A state drowning in debt which sees more perks given to illegals with no plan to cut spending. Does anyone believe that these higher taxes will pay off the debt? No they will be used to fund more projects that this liberal state will want and in the end they wil want the rest of the nation to pay for it.

[quote=“samspade, post:1, topic:37000”]
In approving a ballot measure sought by Gov. Jerry Brown to raise taxes for several years, Californians took a step toward improving the state’s fiscal situation and avoiding education cuts.
According to the California Secretary of State’s website, 53.9% of voters backed the measure, Proposition 30, while 46.1% voted against it, with all votes counted except for provisional and some mailed-in ballots.

California Voters Approve Higher Taxes - WSJ.com

A state drowning in debt which sees more perks given to illegals with no plan to cut spending. Does anyone believe that these higher taxes will pay off the debt? No they will be used to fund more projects that this liberal state will want and in the end they wil want the rest of the nation to pay for it.
[/quote]Spot on.

Just wow.

In Illinois they increased income taxes by 66%. Did it help solve the debt? No is the answer because industries left and the state while talking about pensions and other stuff also talked about funding a third airport and high speed rail among other projects it has in mind.

BTW the third airport deal has been going on for 20 years or better and the airlines have said they want nothing of it.

As for pensions, the politicians do not want to reduce their pensions.

This should serve as an example of what will happen in California

Idiot CA voters - of whom I’m not one, I voted against Propositions 30, 38 and 39, the tax increases - made another couple of slashes in their suicide-by-a-thousand-cuts. “Rich” people will move to other states, “rich” businesses will close their doors or move to other states, and the non-“rich” people of CA will pay the taxes of those businesses that stay, in the form of higher prices. The net effect? CA won’t collect anywhere near the extra revenue they fantasize they will, and may actually lose $$ due to businesses leaving, people leaving, and people changing their investment strategies (see my signature quote).

Meanwhile, the spendaholic pols think they’ve gotten a new fix, and will be wrangling over how many times they can spend each “new” dollar. CA voters still haven’t learned, but the tomfool pols in Sacto will keep demonstrating the stupidity of feeding their spendaholism.

The rich can afford it, Pete. Cali will be three classes soon, the dependent poor, the super rich with beautiful mansions overlooking the ocean and public employees who facilitate transfers from the super rich to the dependent poor. At least for awhile.

I wish there was a way to cut the coast from SF to LA off of the state. The rest of the state has some sanity but we are dragged along with the leftist coast.

In addition to the tax increases, the Democrats also have a super majority in the legislature. They can now pass any tax increase they want, override a veto and put a constitutional amendment on the ballot.

This state is now owned 100% by the government unions. Let California’s carcass be a lesson to the other 49 states.

[quote=“RightOnLeftCoast, post:7, topic:37000”]
I wish there was a way to cut the coast from SF to LA off of the state. The rest of the state has some sanity but we are dragged along with the leftist coast.

In addition to the tax increases, the Democrats also have a super majority in the legislature. They can now pass any tax increase they want, override a veto and put a constitutional amendment on the ballot.

This state is now owned 100% by the government unions. Let California’s carcass be a lesson to the other 49 states.
[/quote]There is the San Andreas Fault

[quote=“samspade, post:8, topic:37000”]
There is the San Andreas Fault
[/quote]:coffee_spray:

why don’t people just move out of there and leave it for the illegals?

Cali will be three classes soon, the dependent poor, the super rich with beautiful mansions overlooking the ocean and public employees who facilitate transfers from the super rich to the dependent poor.

I think even the Hollyweirders and other miscellaneous wealthy Progressives will get out before being totally plundered. And I wonder what happens if the life-long dependency class realize that the bureaucrats take a 75% cut off the top of social programs.

My plea to the less insane states: DO NOT bail out California! Don’t compound the error of bailing out the UAW by bailing out California’s government workers’ and teachers’ unions!

There is the San Andreas Fault.

Who is San Andreas and why is it always his fault?

Probably because he voted for Bush…