Campaign denies Melania Trump's speech plagiarizes parts of Michelle Obama's

Campaign denies Melania Trump’s speech plagiarizes parts of Michelle Obama’s - CNNPolitics.com

This is clear plagiarism. If I did the same in University in an essay I would have been suspended or placed on notice.

Whoever was her speech writer needs to be fired or placed on suspension. You can’t pretend to be the “law and order” candidate while allowing such blatant abuses of rules, and furthermore it as an insult to his wife. My guess is that there is alot of yelling going on inside the campaign, and are hoping the embarrassment will just pass.

Oh, BS. There is nothing proprietary about the phrases she used. I’ve used them myself–completely without knowing that Moochelle had ever spoken them, since I did NOT see her speech or any rehashings of it.

AFAIK, laws regarding plagiarism have to do with commercial usage, i.e. copyright violation. And then there’s academia. As best I know, political speeches do not fall within those fields.

I’ve heard A-B comparisons of the relevant 5 or 6 or 7 sentences of Melania’s and Mooch-chelle’s speeches. Some sentences are pretty much identical, and some of the words are pretty distinctive. So I disagree that far with Dave. BUT, the sentiments Mooch-chelle and Melania expressed have been fodder for pols’ speeches for most/all of the history of the US. And as some have pointed out elsewhere, the MSM ignored similar “plagiarism” by BHO in 2007 (of MA Governor Deval Patrick). That doesn’t speak to Melania’s speech, but it does demonstrate that the MSM are, as usual, applying the one real standard they have, a double-standard.

Whoever wrote Melania’s speech deserves a good talking-to, and should be required to apologize publicly.

Indeed. I really feel sorry for her, most certainly these specific passages would have to have been picked out by someone. She would have her own words and expressions and then the speechwriter would “spruce it up”. She was already extremely nervous and now she has to feel that her speech has become a sideshow to a very important convention. Noone wants to see this happen to someone who is already out of her comfort zone making such high profile speeches. Apparently, Donald and his children are pissed too, so it must have been an interesting breakfast this morning.

Whoever wrote it needs to own up, or, the campaign should tell the media, at the least, “we are dealing with this internally and there have been consequences”. I don’t care if this is a day of docked pay, or a rebate for services rendered. Something has to take place, noone should allow their significant other to flap in the wind over this. If it were me, I would certainly be taking numbers and throwing body checks. What is worse, how could even the laziest speechwriter think taking a speech: from another First Lady, who made the speech in recent times, who is from the opposition party, who’s is married to the man who is still in the Whitehouse and actively campaigning for his opponent; would somehow be a gamble worth taking for effect? It is about as careless as one could be and I would be asking ALOT of questions of this person.

For the record, she appears to be an intelligent and even keeled individual. Whatever lazy speechwriter made this decision needs to be held to account. Otherwise, how is anyone to know if she didn’t do it herself? He can’t allow her to be thrown under the bus like this, it’s not becoming of a strong, Conservative leader as far as I am concerned.

There’s no plagiarism there at all. No one needs a talking to. These are cliches. If you aren’t getting creative, it’s hard to avoid them. The only talking to needed is to tell speech writers to avoid cliches. But then, politicians live in the cliches, repeating the things they think people want to hear over and over.

As usual, the conservative talking point is wrong. It happened during the primary contest with Clinton, Clinton made it an issue, the media covered it, and Obama was forced to backtrack:

"NILES, Ohio — With the next round of voters set to weigh in on the Democratic presidential race, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign on Monday accused Senator Barack Obama of committing plagiarism in a weekend speech. Mr. Obama dismissed the charge as absurd and desperate. Mr. Obama told reporters he should have credited Gov. Deval Patrick* of Massachusetts, a friend, for a passage in a speech he delivered on Saturday in Milwaukee. But Mr. Obama said his rival was “carrying it too far.*”

Uh huh. How many times have you used the phrase “the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and the willingness to work for them.”

I’m guessing never.

Obvious plagiarism is obvious: "Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus said Tuesday he’d “probably” fire the author of the speech Melania Trump gave Monday night at the party’s national convention."
Priebus: I’d ‘probably’ fire Melania Trump speechwriter | TheHill

So what you are saying is obama got caught and tried to weasel out of it. Now the left ignoring their own malfeasance attack Trump proving once again they have no morals.

I am sorry but I have been reading your stuff and you seem to prefer democrat goals while claiming to embrace republican ideals.

This whole plagiarism by Melania outrage is nothing more than faux outrage by the Hillary campaign and pushed by the Clinton media.

Why?

Just look at Melania and then look at Hillary!:angry:

As a general rule, women (I admit to being one) admire and gravitate to beautiful, attractive women and the likelihood that women will vote in greater numbers for Trump because of Melania is NOT lost on the democrats and liberal media.

JUST LOOK at the following:

*John Heilemann came up with a strange way to defend Joe Biden and Barack Obama, and to attack Melania Trump, for the plagiarism in speeches each of them gave.

On today’s Morning Joe, Heilemann argued that Biden and Obama’s plagiarism wasn’t as bad, because they ripped off fellow liberals: Neil Kinnock and Deval Patrick, respectively.*

MIKA BRZEZINSKI: So it’s worth remembering that in 2008 Hillary Clinton’s campaign accused Barack Obama of plagiarizing then Massachusetts Governor Duval Patrick during a speech in Milwaukee. Obama said he should have credited it to him. And in 1987, remember this, Senator Joe Biden plagiarized a speech by British Labor party leader Neil Kinnock, leading to more revelations —

**JOE SCARBOROUGH:** But it was a good speech. Seriously, if I were going to plagiarize a speech it would have been Neil Kinnock’s speech.
 **JOHN HEILEMANN:**  Can I just, can I put out the reason that this person is going to need to be fired, because they’re too stupid to be employed. For Joe Biden to plagiarize Neil Kinnock is wrong. **But Joe Biden is a Democrat, Neil Kinnock is a Labor party politician.**
**JOE SCARBOROUGH:** Right.
**HEILEMANN:** The same thing’s true with Barack Obama and Deval Patrick. Somebody got it in their mind when they were under pressure, stressed out, trying to get this speech together for her to cut and paste Michelle Obama’s speech at the Trump campaign! **What are–I mean, it’s one thing to be a plagiarist, it’s another thing to be a moronic plagiarist.**

melania trump | plagiarism | rnc speech | blame | obama

Remember, Biden ripped off his speech … word for word.

No, I am not excusing Melania’s speech!

What I am NOT excusing is the faux outrage!

Taking direct sentences from other speeches is wrong, regardless of the political leaning. Furthermore, refusing to at the very least acknowledge those small number of occurrences with at least some accountability for the speechwriter is not a sign of strength.

Someone was lazy and messed up, acknowledge it and move on. Even Christie stated as such last night. A small amount of it was incidentally the same as M. Obama’s speech. Should we just pretend that wrong isn’t wrong?

Ummmmm … DHL, did you notice that I cited 2007, not February of 2008? There was indeed an incident in 2/2008, which BHO acknowledged, but I was referring to an earlier incident in November of 2007. I know, my link is to a page on Hannity’s website, but it has the video clips embedded.

[quote=“DHLiberal, post:7, topic:49105”]
Uh huh. How many times have you used the phrase “the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and the willingness to work for them.”

I’m guessing never.

Obvious plagiarism is obvious: "Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus said Tuesday he’d “probably” fire the author of the speech Melania Trump gave Monday night at the party’s national convention."
Priebus: I’d ‘probably’ fire Melania Trump speechwriter | TheHill
[/quote]Never understood how quoting someone without citation is a problem. It’s a weird issue that only a handful of brainwashed PhDs and people who dream of being PhDs give one flying flip about.

Okay when obama did it he was innocent but when Trump’s speech writer did it then it was evil==GGGGGGot It

He did it several times, but nobody caught him because who was paying any attention to Deval Patrick in 2006? It was a lot harder to catch this stuff 10 years ago, and Obama in Nov. 2007 wasn’t getting coverage like the spouse of a nominee during prime-time at a national convention.

When Team Clinton did catch on, it was dutifully reported, and Obama took his lumps (it helped that Patrick was Obama’s buddy). Trump could have handled this the same way: mistakes were made, it shouldn’t have happened, so-and-so is fired, whatever, let’s move on. Instead, they tried to pretend it didn’t happen, nobody’s been held accountable (and nobody will be, because Trump), and everybody had a field day with it because the plagiarism was so obvious.

As is usually the case in politics, the cover up is worse than the crime.

Im not sure why you assume my opinion on the Obama incident Samspade. I haven’t given an opinion and just now understood what he did back then. In my opinion, if you make a mistake or copy someones words you need to apologize or, explain what is being done about it in the case of a speech writer making this mistake as I assume is the case with the speech last night.

If Obama apologized, so be it. If he took someone elses words and passed it as his own he should have apologized, without question. As Rubio stated, Trumps wife isn’t a politician, she is someone who came out and expressed herself and even if the words were similar to Obamas wife, one can’t doubt her beliefs and intentions through the words. In the end this isn’t a huge deal as Trump himself didn’t do this, but the inability for Trump to correct these issues or offer something is worrisome to those who want strength, but also accountability. One without the other is as dangerous as a feeble leader.

As I stated, a simple statement that it is being dealt with internally and there are consequences would have been a good response imo.

Since major politicians almost never write their own speeches, they pay someone else to write them. So thinking is this: It’s good for someone to give a speech written by a speech writer. However, if one of the phrases came from a different speech writer, this is immoral and a huge deal.

You just won the logic award. Heck, I think we just disproved mathematics with that one.

I incorrectly quoted cwolf instead of Samspade who I meant to respond to. :Thud:

See, sometimes incorrect activities can occur in “speech” hah.

[quote=“shockedcanadian, post:1, topic:49105”]
Campaign denies Melania Trump’s speech plagiarizes parts of Michelle Obama’s - CNNPolitics.com

This is clear plagiarism. If I did the same in University in an essay I would have been suspended or placed on notice.

Whoever was her speech writer needs to be fired or placed on suspension. You can’t pretend to be the “law and order” candidate while allowing such blatant abuses of rules, and furthermore it as an insult to his wife. My guess is that there is alot of yelling going on inside the campaign, and are hoping the embarrassment will just pass.
[/quote]These people can’t run a lemonade stand much less the White House. This is a riot.

Agreed but I would use the word “Axiom” in place of “Cliche”.

Michelle Obama most certainly does NOT have any claim to those Axioms, my grandparents drilled them into my parents and my parents drilled them into me.

I can understand how Liberals would be completely unfamiliar with these specific words arranged in this specific order since Liberals hate the United States and would NEVER recognize the truth about what is possible and unique to the United States, but to be so dense as to not at least research it a little bit before exposing their ignorance is laughable; and proof that when Liberals say these things they really are just reading what their speech writers wrote down.