Can anyone make sense of this?

I didn’t know what thread to put this in, so I thought this one would be the most appropriate. Can anyone decipher through the political jargon and explain to me what this means? Project 21, btw, is a political organization consisting of black conservatives.

Voting Rights Act Section 5 Reform Supported as Supreme Court Hears Arguments Wednesday

Preclearance is when certain states with a history of discriminatory voting practices have to get approval from the Department of Justice before changing their voting standards. Such states include Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, most of North Carolina, and some of Virginia. The case deals with the constitutionality of preclearance and the issues of discrimination in other states besides those that discriminated during the times of civil rights battles in the 60s and 70s, as well as possible abuse by the president by way of abusing the act in certain minority or majority-centered counties.

Project 21’s Cooper pointed out: “The Voting Rights Act was never intended to be a tool for preferring one race over another or one political ideology over another. Using preclearance to obtain either goal is antithetical to equality and – I believe – unconstitutional.”

Thanks for the clarification, Trekky! I am going to keep a close eye on this issue now!

Why is Alaska on the list?

Apparently there was discrimination of Inuits.

Are you serious?

Serious.
“Ifill pointed out why section 5 is so valuable citing a case in Alaska where a jurisdiction attempted to move a polling place before an election from a native Alaskan village that would require those voters to take a plane or boat to vote. Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act allowed the Justice Department to step in and prevent this from happening.” and

"By 1975, when Congress extended the act for another seven years, **the law was broadened to include discriminatory voting practices against language minorities. For example, states were flagged for offering ballots only in English where language minorities made up more than 5 percent of the voting-age population. (That’s how Alaska, Arizona and Texas got federal oversight. **It’s also the reason why parts of Florida, Michigan, New York and South Dakota are included.)Why the Supreme Court May Rule Against the Voting Rights Act - ProPublica

Well, that’s terrible.