Canning

Fill 7 sterilized quart jars with peeled, sliced apples.

4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Stir together with 10 cups water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Heat to boiling, stirring continuously. Pour the mixture over the apples, put on lids and process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

I always have to let them cool for a while before removing from the water, otherwise, the filling is still boiling, and will force itself up under the lid, making sealing uncertain.

1 dozen ears of com
1 head of cabbage
1 or 2 peppers (optional)
1 or 2 onions (optional)
1/2 tsp ( or more) turmeric
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed

A little sugar
Thickening made with flour

Cut corn off cob. Shred cabbage, cut up other veggies.
Cook everything except the thickening in vinegar weakened to suit taste. Add the thickening. Put in sterilized jars and seal.

I’ve only made this once, and I got it a little too sour. Also, my mother’s original recipe didn’t include onions. A neighbor was giving me a lot of veggies, he had far more than he could use, and when I said I was going to make corn salad, he said, “Oh, you need some onions for that”.

Large cucumbers (I prefer Straight 8, or something similar)
Cut in half lengthwise, remove seeds, peel & then cut lengthwise into fourths or eighths
Soak in salt water (about 1 tbs per gallon of water) for at least 2 hours (I usually try to soak them overnight)
Empty salt water and rinse
Cook in pure vinegar until they start to become translucent
Add sugar and stick cinnamon to taste (break the stick cinnamon in pieces).
When fully cooked, put in sterilized jars & seal.

Please post canning recipes and tips in here.

Bumped so you can find out how to make cinnamon pickles!

I’ve never had cinnamon pickles before. I’ll have to try some.
I sometimes buy these spicy pickles called zingers, really good!

Unfortunately, this is a recipe that isn’t exact, so every batch will come out slightly different. Same way with the corn salad.

Susanna have you ever canned peppers before?

No, I don’t like peppers well enough to even think of it. But there are peppers in the corn salad. I’ll check to see if my cook book has a recipe for canning peppers.

Edit: nope, no pepper recipes. But there were 2 recipes for pickled veggies that my mother used to can, although I daresay they are different from the way she did them - chow-chow and piccalilli.

oooh post one of those pickled veggie recipes. I love that stuff.

Aaaaack! I thought I posted a response to this! Must have hit the wrong button.

No, I’ve never canned peppers - never cared enough for them to even consider it. I checked my cookbook, and it had no recipes for canning peppers. It did have instructions for a couple of old-time pickled-veggie recipes that my mother used to can, though they are probably different from her recipes: chow-chow and picallili.

You did post a response to it. The pickled veggie recipe sounds like it will good. :smile:

Weird - my original post & your response to it didn’t show up even when I reposted, but they did when I came back to the forum. I’ll post the recipes later - I’m sure they aren’t copyrighted. I bought my replacement copy of the Cookbook on Amazon in used books (had them also in antique books, but they were higher priced, and not in as good shape). I bought my original copy new in 1955 (I think) with trading stamps. The later one I got was a revised copy, and was printed on much better quality paper.

1 gallon chopped cabbage
1 dozen chopped onions
1/2 dozen chopped green peppers
1/2 gallon chopped green tomatoes
1/2 dozen chopped red bell peppers
1 gallon vinegar
2 lbs. sugar
1/2 cup ground mustard
6 tablespoons white mustard seed
3 tablespoons celery seed
1 tablespoon cloves (whole cloves)
Salt

Put cabbage, onions, green peppers, tomatoes, and red peppers in alternate layers in an enamel pan. Sprinkle each layer with salt and top with a complete covering of salt. Let stand 12 hours. Drain. Put vinegar, sugar, mustard, mustard seed, and celery seed in enamel kettle. Tie cloves in cheesecloth and add to mixture. Bring to boiling point. Add vegetable mixture and simmer slowly until all are tender, about 1/2 hour. Remove cloves. Pack mixture into hot, clean (sterilized) jars. Seal at once.

1 peck green tomatoes
5 pounds cabbage
6 sweet peppers
4 medium-sized onions
1 cup salt
3 pints vinegar
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 lb mustard seed
2 tablespoons celery seed
1 tablespoon ground horseradish

Chop and mix tomatoes, cabbage, sweet peppers, and onion with salt and let stand 12 hours. Mix vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed and horseradish. Bring to boiling point. Add vegetables and warm through. Pack into hot, clean jars. Seal immediately.

Note - when canning “open kettle” - that is, no processing, either pressure or hot water bath - the jars should always be sterilized.

Guess I misspelled “picalilli” in my first mentions of it.

Looks good thanks for the recipes. :smile:

the illuminati :ninja:

[quote=“Spearhead, post:18, topic:382”]
the illuminati :ninja:
[/quote]Nah, just the pixelgiest.

Please stop all the food postings. They’re driving me crazy !!