Canning

Then you won’t like it if I post some food pics then. :grin:

thank god she didn’t…

Preacher has posted a recipe for canning peppers on The Upper Room, here

Thanks!! Now if I can just get my pepper garden to grow.

How does your garden grow ?.

With silver bells and cockle shells ?.

It doesn’t grow, that is the problem. :sad:

I’m growing new grass in my yard right now. No…not the type you all are thinking about either.

It’s time to make up some salsa again. Anyone have killer super hot recipe? I want something I can use for dip or take paint of the shed.

Just throw a can of stewed tomatoes into a blender with some cilantro, 2 cloves of garlic, a slice of onion, a dash of lemon juice, a dash of balsamic vinegar and about 4 habaneros with 2 serrano peppers.

Remember that scene in the movie Alien where they spill the alien blood and it ate through two decks of the space ship? What really happened was one of the film crew spilled this salsa during lunch and it ate through the set so they decided to film it.

I have the dumb question of the day. Our salsa recipe calls for seeded hot peppers. Does that mean take the seeds out or include them? I would think for a hot salsa which is what we want we need to leave some in.

Leave the seeds in if you want it hot.

My wife mixed up some pepper plants in out garden. She thought some plans with very small, red peppers were some sweet peppers given to me by a co-worker. Those small red peppers were so hot they nearly burned my tongue out. When I kised my wife good night hours later, she said that my kiss was “hot”, even more so than normal.

I just ran through this forum to find this recipe. I have it somewhere (I just do it by memory, as there is nothing really hard and fast to it). I just wanted to print it out for someone else. But as I was looking through this forum, I was hit with nostalgia and sorrow when I noticed so many recipes by Sarah.

Start with making a batch of apple sauce. Apple sauce is just apples cooked (on the stove top) until they are all soft, and maybe some sugar added, depending on the tartness of the apples. I always put mine through a food mill, to make it smoother and more uniform.
You should have the apple sauce done the day before, because the apple butter is cooked for a long time.
Add sugar, cinnamon, and cloves to taste. Put in a “slow” oven (about 250 degrees F.), and cook at least 5 hours. Leave the lid off for the last hour or two of cooking, to evaporate some of the liquid.
Put in sterilized jars and seal.

If you think that’s a lot of work, here’s how the old timers did it (and some people still do):
Make a fire outside and put your applesauce (with the spices added) in a big brass kettle, and set it on or hang it over the fire. Most recipes call for adding boiled-down apple cider. I’ve never put cider in mine. Cook the apple butter all day long, stirring constantly. That will no doubt be done in shifts! We used to have a special paddle for it - the paddle part has holes in it, and is attached at right angles to the handle. I think it’s that constant stirring that makes it so smooth. Mine is never that smooth. But when I put it in the oven, I pretty much ignore it until I’m ready to take it out and can it.