‘Carrying a Gun Saved My Life’: Meet Ryan Moore

‘Carrying a Gun Saved My Life’: Meet Ryan Moore
by Paul Hsieh

1/30/13

On December 11, 2010, in Conyers, GA, 22-year-old Ryan Moore was at a friend’s house for an evening of leisure. He borrowed a friend’s car to drive to the nearby grocery store, where his handgun saved his life. I interviewed Ryan Moore over e-mail about that evening.

How much time did you have to react?

It took a few seconds for me to realize what was happening. Once it dawned on me, I made the decision to fight back.

I grabbed the knife and pulled it away from my neck. After a brief struggle, I managed to push him away allowing me to create a few feet of distance, where I was able to draw my revolver from concealment and to fire in defense as he came back towards me with the knife.

What were you carrying, and how many rounds did you have to fire to stop the attacker?

I had a five shot Taurus 651 snub-nosed .357 magnum loaded with magnum defensive ammunition. After drawing, I fired three shots in about two seconds before the attacker with the knife turned and collapsed after taking a few steps. I then turned around expecting the second attacker to be there, only to see him fleeing the scene.

What do you carry now, and why?

My current everyday carry gun is a Glock 21, a large framed Glock semiautomatic pistol chambered in .45 ACP with a standard capacity of 13+1 rounds. Fortunately it only took three shots from my revolver to stop the threat. However, the thought that I had only two remaining in the event the second attacker didn’t flee or had backup didn’t sit well with me, especially given the fairly common incidents of crime involving multiple assailants.

You have an AR-15-style sporting rifle. What do you use it for? How do you answer when anti-gun people say: “No one needs a rifle like that”?

The main reason I have it is for home defense. It is among the best tools for the job of protecting my life and the lives of my loved ones. The AR-15 is lightweight, maneuverable, and offers effective stopping power while reducing risk of over penetration through common building materials with the proper ammunition.

It is easy to add lights and optical sights to the rifle, making it more likely you will identify what you are aiming at and thus avoid shooting someone by accident. The rifle has manageable recoil, allowing shooters of all physical condition to handle it effectively.

Here’s the kind of person gun-grabber Congress Critters do not want testifying before their show-trial “hearings” and "investigations and “commissions”!

Its truely sad that the mainstream media fails to report stories like this since it opposes their agenda. I could read these all day.

There are many people with very similar stories. Thankfully I’ve never had to pull mine as a civilian.

I’ve yet to hear a Democrat mention the real purpose of the Second Amendment.

The Armed Citizen column in the NRA’s American Rifleman and American Hunter periodicals contains (or did last I saw; I imagine it still does) a page or two of news snippets of civilians using guns to thwart violence/felonies.

Yeah I know that. I want it published in ALL of the mainstream media. The good needs an equal amount of coverage as the bad.

The comments in the article are as good as the article! :smiley: