Carson campaign pushes back at report questioning candidate's West Point claim

Carson campaign pushes back at published report questioning candidate’s West Point claim | Fox News

Will this destroy Carson? Will Rubio be able to survive the “vetting” process? Or will this pass over and his narrative and policies lead the day?

Republican strategists who spoke with FoxNews.com following the revelations Friday said this could be more than just a hiccup for the Carson campaign. The candidate’s backstory has come under increased scrutiny as he enjoys the top slot in many of the latest primary polls.
“When you’re not a politician and you don’t have a voting record, and you are running on your own narrative (like Carson) … then this is all fair game,” said media strategist Pete Snyder.

“I think people realize that people who run for office tend to embellish, but they don’t take kindly to fabrication of military service or West Point applications,” he added. “This is dangerous ground for Ben Carson.”

Fight back, Ben - you’re in the right about this.

“When you’re not a politician and you don’t have a voting record, and you are running on your own narrative (like Carson) … then this is all fair game,” said media strategist Pete Snyder.

Obviously voting records aren’t considered either, seeing as how the ZERO got in twice!!!

… and the classless Trump also jumps on the hatewagon.

Absolutely.

Despicable Politico Lie Spreads Around the World as American Media Attempts a Political Assassination of Dr. Carson - The Rush Limbaugh Show
Despicable Politico Lie Spreads Around the World as American Media Attempts a Political Assassination of Dr. Carson**

Anyone else on the hatewagon, in your opinion? Or is it just Trump?
He’s not the one who brought all this up.

Here’s my problem: Carson has handled this so piss poorly.
He had the power right now to REALLY kick the left wing media in the nuts with this. It could have made him a hero and maybe send his poll numbers through the roof. This would have been the perfect opportunity for him. Hell, if he had even one TENTH the outrage of Rush Limbaugh he could have wiped this out and really humiliated Politico (which by the way engaged in a similar lynching of Herman Cain four years ago).

I heard him on Sean Hannity this afternoon. Hannity gave him plenty opportunity to let loose with both barrels. And he hemmed and hawed and tried to say that he didn’t remember a lot of it.

I’m sorry if you think this is hateful, but **THE MAN IS FRIKKEN RUNNING FOR THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. ** He may be the most intelligent man in the race, so YOU’D THINK HE WOULD HAVE ANTICIPATED THIS WHEN HE PUT IT IN HIS BOOK.

He hemmed and hawed about it on Hannity, so WHY IS IT IN HIS BOOK?

And don’t DARE fault THE DONALD for anything. Trump is just being Trump. They aren’t running mates. They are RIVALS. They are running for the same position. They are COMPETING. Trump didn’t put that stuff in his book. This is ALL on Carson.

If he can’t handle what appears now to be a self inflicted wound, how in the name of hell is he going to handle the job of Commander In Chief?

ANSWER THAT, PEOPLE! (Dog, this isn’t just aimed at you.)

Trump is not going to pull a Bernie Sanders bit about “tired of your damned emails” and just hand the race over to the only candidate who is nipping at his heels right now. He wouldn’t be worth two cents as president if he didn’t take advantage of this opportunity.

And remember, Trump didn’t cause this. Carson caused it. Trump is just competing, like any other smart political rival.

I heard today on Fox that Carson has ADMITTED that he had NOT received any correspondence from or scholarship offers from West Point. Are THEY lying, too.

It’s not just Trump on the hatewagon, it’s the media. Trump is now using the same media that he attacks when they attack him. If it helps Trump, he will do it. No other candidate is using this stuff for traction, but Trump. When he comes out with a platform that I believe in and I think that they believe in, that’s what I want to hear from them. This is how Trump competes, fine. I think it is an example of his character. I don’t believe in, or believe Trump, anyway.
If this is the nail in Carson’s coffin, whatever. I’d still be happy to vote for Cruz.

Ben Carson Never Applied to West Point, Campaign Says - NBC News
I hadn’t heard about this blow up, until now. This is a big deal?

Politico Admits Fabricating A Hit Piece On Ben Carson
It is a big deal, just not in the way intended.

This is the best thing that could have happened for Carson, the media just ran wild with a complete lie in an election year where literally everyone has figured out that they are just the propaganda department for Statism.

Carson will get many hours of national free advertising and pick up lots of support from those who are tired of politicians who are afraid to call BS on the media.

This type of lie would be damaging on the typical Establishment candidate because they would not go into attack mode over it, they would discuss the lie as if it was worthy of credibility and try to “get to the next news cycle”.

But Carson (like Trump) is not stupid enough to fear a toothless enemy like the media who have no audience that trusts them, the biggest gift a candidate can receive is an attack from the media; this gift is magnified ten fold if the attack has zero truth in it.

I bet Carson picks up 5 points over this.

Hey now; “present” lives- er, votes matter…

It’s not just Trump on the hatewagon, it’s the media.

DUH!!!
There is no hatewagon from Trump. This is politics. This is a race for the nomination. This is what you do when you want to be elected.

Trump is now using the same media that he attacks when they attack him. If it helps Trump, he will do it
The problem is how poorly Carson is handling this. Don’t blame Trump for this.

No other candidate is using this stuff for traction, but Trump.

No other candidate is ahead of Carson. No other candidate is really serious about winning.

When he comes out with a platform that I believe in and I think that they believe in, that’s what I want to hear from them. This is how Trump competes, fine. I think it is an example of his character. I don’t believe in, or believe Trump, anyway.

We have had Trump’s platform ever since he got into the race. There is nothing phony or dishonest about what he’s doing right now. There’s nothing out of character about what he’s doing.
I would have thought exactly what you’re thinking but I just saw Trump on Bill O’Reilly. And you KNOW O’Reilly doesn’t let Trump get away with anything. There is ZERO fawning hero worship from Bill. I saw Trump saying what needed to be said.
Carson put this stuff in his book, KNOWING he would be running for the presidency, KNOWING that the lynch mob Politico would use it. This is REALLY bad judgment on his part.
He’s a very nice, very likable man. But if he can’t even handle these small details, how in the name of Zeus’s BUTTHOLE is he going to handle the presidency.

If this is the nail in Carson’s coffin, whatever. I’d still be happy to vote for Cruz.

If Trump doesn’t want it, Cruz would be my first choice out of all those who are running. But Hillary would beat him.

Just remember, the next president will either be Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

From the article edog linked:

Politico Admits Fabricating A Hit Piece On Ben Carson
NOVEMBER 6, 2015 By Mollie Hemingway
thefederalist.com

In a story published early on Friday, Politico’s Kyle Cheney authored a piece headlined “Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship” with a subhed “Carson’s campaign on Friday conceded that a central point in his inspirational personal story did not occur as he previously described.”

There were at least five major problems with the story:

• The headline was completely false
  • The subhed was also completely false
  • The opening paragraph was false false false
  • The substance of the piece was missing key exonerating information
  • The article demonstrated confusion about service academy admissions and benefits

Roughly none of this is true. Ben Carson’s campaign did not “admit” that a central point in his story “was fabricated.” Quite the opposite. The central point of the story is falsely described by Cheney/Politico as being that he applied and was accepted at West Point. Carson, in fact, has repeatedly claimed not to have applied. So any claim regarding the absence of West Point records of such an application would not debunk Carson’s point. And, again, Carson’s campaign never “conceded” the story was false at least in part because the story, as characterized by Politico, is not one he told. Further, Cheney is unable to substantiate his claim that Carson told this story. Nowhere in the article does he even explain, with facts, where he came up with the idea that Carson has ever made this claim.

Politico stealthily edited the inflammatory headline and lede, after the damage was done. They made changes without adding a note about what was corrected. They didn’t update the piece or add an editor’s note. …

It’s always easier to refute facts one’s opponent never made. So beyond Politico and Kyle Cheney publishing a near-totally-false (Ben Carson does exist, and did meet Gen. Westmoreland) deceitful and deceptive hit-piece, Politico and Cheney revealed that they view Dr. Carson as their opponent! IOW, wrt Carson, Politico is Full Bias Ahead!

Rs, especially R Presidential candidates, need to understand that the MSM are, largely, partisan actors, and most MSM “reporters” and editorialists are partisan operatives not paid by the Ds (yet?). The Rs, Carson especially, need to wrap this hit-piece and CNBC’s shameful debate debacle around the MSM’s throat and kick them where it hurts, access. All R Presidential candidates need to refuse all Politico, CNBC, and ***MesS***NBC “reporters” any greater access than what is given to reporters from junior college newspapers (less, if the JC reporter is given interview time). This should be announced publicly, with the reasons spelled out, bluntly.

Carson, Cruz, and maybe Trump and Rubio, might do this. I don’t see the rest of the candidates or the R Party having this kind of courage, though I’d dearly love to be surprised.

Further, Carson, Cruz, and Rubio need to fully realize and be ready to act preemptively and responsively to the basic fact that they will be targets for all manner of smears and hit-pieces. For the blatantly obvious reason. Remember Herman Cain? Remember how his accuser suddenly went quiet and disappeared after he dropped out? For her and the MSM it was, “Mission Accomplished”!

Perhaps you’re referring to @#$% like this?! “Hatewagon” may be a little kind. Trump’s most dangerous enemies are his own tongue and impulsive opportunism. If he doesn’t control those he will be his own undoing, and, unfortunately, there is no guarantee that Trump will be kind enough to shoot his own foot off before the heart of Primary season.

Remember, Politico was the scum outfit who manufactured that hit piece on Herman Cain, four years ago.

Whether it’s the KKK or Fugitive Slave Laws, or lynchings of Clarence Thomas, the left has always endeavored to keep their blacks in line.

I don’t see how Trump could do that. I thought his run was finished with the “he’s not a war hero” bit about McCain. Even Hannity suggested in a friendly way that THE DONALD apologize for that remark and move on. Yeah, right. Moving on would mean picking up the pieces of his shattered campaign and heading out the door.

The reason why he is on top of all the polls (besides the fact that he is absolutely right on the most important issues) is because people know that he is not scripted. He occasionally makes a gaffe or even a grammatical error here or there. His supporters, THE SILENT MAJORITY, not only will forgive him for those, they like him even more. They know he’s not a phony.

Carson, if he plays this right, can generate lots of new support AND take down Trump. This is the media shamelessly and deliberately and dishonestly trying to take down a pious black conservative, their ultimate bogeyman. Trump and the media can and should be equally cast as beneath contempt.

Carson’s story is one of redemption. That’s a sophisticated concept that persons of faith grasp more easily than others.

Remember what I said. Trump has too tight a bond with the SILENT MAJORITY. He can only be taken down by someone better. And we’ve seen evidence over the last three months that there is no one better in the current crop of candidates.

I agree that this Politico ambush was typical left wing sleaze tactics. Tell me something I don’t know. And Carson should have known that the combination of black skin, high poll numbers and an R by his name makes him a target for the NEO-KKK, better known as the left wing drive by media.

He’s not going to survive this. I think what they’ve done to him is wrong. I think they’re LYING. Problem is, he’s handling this all wrong. He’s starting to look indecisive and incompetent. That tanks whatever he thinks will work against THE DONALD, because Trump scores in the high seventies for leadership.

The game is over. I’m sorry it had to happen to Carson. Probably Ted Cruz would have been a more qualified running mate, but Carson on the Veep ticket would have guaranteed a LANDSLIDE victory against Hillary.

As I posted above:

Remember Herman Cain? Remember how his accuser suddenly went quiet and disappeared after he dropped out? For her and the MSM it was, “Mission Accomplished”!

It only takes two or three such incidents for a pattern to become recognizable, to those paying attention and willing to see it.