CBS Sued Over ‘Judge Judy’s $47M Salary & Profits From Syndicated Series

EXCLUSIVE: UPDATE with Judy Sheindlin statement: This certainly won’t end up in Judge Judy’s court, but a scathing multimillion-dollar lawsuit filed today against CBS has no-nonsense host Judy Sheindlin, her syndicated series and its spinoff Hot Bench in the legal spotlight. Seeking widespread unspecified damages, plaintiff Rebel Entertainment Partners claims that that it has been denied contractually obligated payments since 2010 from the net profits of the 19-season CBS Television-distributed Judge Judy because it supposedly is “losing money,” while paying Judge Judy herself up to $47 million a year.

What interests me in the whole thing is I usually see stories where some star has been cheated out of his/her pay. Here is a guy telling us that 21 years ago he mentioned a show and expects pay for finding it and even wanting pay for a new show developed by Judge Judge.

I used to watch Judge Judy but after awhile her responses do get on one’s nerves. The show pays all rewards.

Several stars through the years have fought networks claiming a loss while apparently reaping huge profits. James Garner comes to mind with the Rockford Files.

I love Judge Judy! She would be an excellent president, wouldn’t she?? :whistle: She certainly is a no nonsense judge. She seems to be able to see through liars, especially kids, like no one else. I like the fact that she doesn’t have any qualms about needling a black person just as she does to white persons. I’ve been watching “Hot Bench” too. It’s pretty good. The three judges are pretty much like Judge Judy, especially the male judge, Judge Bakman (I think that’s his name).

Linky no worky. Wish I could see the article 'cuz you’re stating from 21 years ago, while what’s printed here says, “since 2010.” IOW, just 6 years ago.
IAC, if Judge Judy’s contract says she gets $47 million/yr., then that’s what she gets, regardless of the shows profits. (If that’s how the contract reads.) And if the guy who’s suing has a contract that states he get a percentage of the profits, then that’s what he gets - IF there are profits.
So I guess what needs to be investigated is whether CBS is garnering profits or not. If they are, which will no doubt be hard to prove, then CBS needs to pony up.
(Yeah, I know: Innocent until proven guilty. But we are talking CBS here.)

*Not sure what you’re saying about James Garner. (My hero. :)) That the network was burning him out of money owed?

As far as Judge Judy goes, I still catch her show upon occasion. I’ve noticed that she’s toned down giving her personal opinions of litigants whose lifestyles didn’t meet her approval. (Didn’t bother me much, but drove my husband nuts.) Something tells me she was told to, or else.

However, she still does pick and choose which laws to apply to whom and when. So yeah, if there’s anything that bugs me about her, it’s her inconsistency.
That, and shutting people down before they get to state their case. (Yes, I get the times when fools obviously don’t have one, but that’s not to what I am referring.) Gotta love it, though, when somebody yells out in frustration, “But I have evidence!” - and it causes her to turn around and say, "OH? Well then, let’s hear it!"
Ya think? :eusa_think:

I read where the show only pays the fines if it can be proved that the losing party does not have the means to pay it.

I don’t know about Judge Judy’s show, but on Judge Mulan’s (or however you spell her name) The People’s Court, they pay the traveling expenses, (almost positive Judy’s show does, as well), plus the fine, plus pay the people for attending their court.

Knowing that the show pays the fines, I used to wonder why people fought so hard to win. Learned that that people who win get paid more. Substantially more, IIRC.

(FWIW, my sister who had a pending lawsuit was contacted by People’s Court. She turned them down, but that’s how I know the ‘skinny’ on that show.)
[Want a laugh? (Yeah, at her expense. It’s okay. We share.lol) She called me all incensed six way to Sunday asking how some stranger got a hold of her “private” information!
She finally calmed down when I informed her that all law suits are a matter of public record. Filed court documents are the very source these people use to find people to invite to be on their show.
Yikes, you’d think a woman in her 50’s would know that. At least that suits are a matter of public record, I mean.)

The judge you are referring to is Judge Milian–pronounced MILL-EE-YAHN. She’s Cuban from Florida. I used to watch her a lot. I love when she rattles some very fast Spanish at the litigants. Cubans tend to speak very fast. But, I had such a wonderful experience with them when I lived in south Florida. That is the part of living in Florida that I loved.

Yes, Judge Judy does pay for the transportation and hotel for the litigants. I think some of them seem to think that they can “con” her plus get their 15 minutes of fame. NOT. I haven’t seen a single case where someone got over on her. She’s a fire cracker!

I grew bored watching court TV awhile back. I used to watch people’s court and smiled when ever some idiot would come up and speak spanish and figured they could get away with it. Reminds me of a story once about a couple of mexicans in a store speaking derogatorily about people while figuring no one would understand them and a woman turned to them as they were leaving and spoke spanish pointing out not everyone is as dumb as these two.

I liked Milian and Mathis.

Judge Mulan doesn’t appeal to me, as I’m not a fan of cross dressing.

I don’t like Mathis. He’s made too many left-wing comments and derogatory comments about conservatives. I stopped watching him. I always liked Judge Joe Brown. Don’t know whatever happened to him. BTW, who is Judge Mulan?

I don’t remember much about it, I only saw it a few times, it was called divorce court. And of course, all they heard were divorce cases. I just vaguely remember one. The man was complaining that his wife had got fat, but he had no room to talk. His excuse for his weight was that he had to do a lot of heavy lifting, and “you can’t be a puny man to to that.” Then he attacked her for getting pregnant when he told her not to. The woman said, “Your Honor, did you ever hear of a woman getting pregnant by herself?”

I heard Jesus was born that way :slayer:

Divorce Court is actually still on, but with a different Judge. Don’t remember the name, but she is a black judge. Not very interesting, IMO.

No, Mary’s Spouse was the Holy Spirit. So, she didn’t do it by herself. :wave:

I was expecting a response from someone like Sam’s, all ready to respond with, “No, she didn’t do it ‘all by herself.’”

I do have a sense of humor :devil:

Proof that Mary didn’t do it “all by herself:”

(Luke 1:29) And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.

(Luke 1:30) And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.

(Luke 1:31) And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

(Luke 1:32) He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

(Luke 1:33) And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

(Luke 1:34) Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

(Luke 1:35) And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

(Luke 1:36) And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

(Luke 1:37) For with God nothing shall be impossible.

(Luke 1:38) And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.