Census shows slowing US growth, brings GOP gains

Republican-leaning states will pick up a half dozen House seats thanks to the 2010 census, which found the nation’s population growing more slowly than in past decades but still shifting to the South and West.
The Census Bureau announced Tuesday that the nation’s population on April 1 was 308,745,538, up from 281.4 million a decade ago. The growth rate for the past decade was 9.7 percent, a slower pace than the 13.2 percent population increase from 1990 to 2000.
Only one state, Michigan, lost population during the past decade. Nevada, with a 35 percent increase, was the fastest-growing state.
The new numbers are a boon for Republicans, with Texas leading the way among GOP-leaning states that will gain House seats at the Rust Belt’s expense. Following each once-a-decade census, the nation must reapportion the House’s 435 districts to make them roughly equal in population, with each state getting at least one seat.

Census shows slowing US growth, brings GOP gains - Yahoo! Finance

It is a conspiracy I tell you. How did the republicans gain seats when the world was told that the republican party was a thing of the past?

[quote=“samspade, post:1, topic:28663”]
Republican-leaning states will pick up a half dozen House seats thanks to the 2010 census, which found the nation’s population growing more slowly than in past decades but still shifting to the South and West.
The Census Bureau announced Tuesday that the nation’s population on April 1 was 308,745,538, up from 281.4 million a decade ago. The growth rate for the past decade was 9.7 percent, a slower pace than the 13.2 percent population increase from 1990 to 2000.
Only one state, Michigan, lost population during the past decade. Nevada, with a 35 percent increase, was the fastest-growing state.
The new numbers are a boon for Republicans, with Texas leading the way among GOP-leaning states that will gain House seats at the Rust Belt’s expense. Following each once-a-decade census, the nation must reapportion the House’s 435 districts to make them roughly equal in population, with each state getting at least one seat.

It is a conspiracy I tell you. How did the republicans gain seats when the world was told that the republican party was a thing of the past?
[/quote]While the Gop states gained six, states that voted for Obama lost six. A 12 vote swing.

Considering Obama’s census did not reguire citizenship to be on it, this must be a big blow to Obama.

Hey, that’s right. I never did complete mine,and when they came to the house, I told them how many,and then my dog scared them away. And, He ain’t no poodle.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:4, topic:28663”]
And, He ain’t no poodle.
[/quote]:howler:

Yay, let the gerrymandering begin!

I fear democrats are moving to well run states, THEN try to turn them into liberal run states. :freaked:

I would hope that, if they were forced to move,they would understand that Liberal Economics don’t work.:eusa_think:
But,we are talking about Liberals , aren’t we.:banghead:

After the last census IN lost a district. We are now at 9 Congressional districs. We used to have 11 even further back in time.

Don’t forget all of the state legislatures across the US that are controlled by Republicans. The state Republicans need to have a spine and draw up districts that’ll benefit Republicans. It’s time to fight fire with fire.

Not necessarily: Even red states have blue districts. I’d think an 8 vote swing would be more realistic.

EDIT: Another thought: The blues states losing districts have to redraw district lines too…that means they can gerrymander away a red district or two, as well…and that’s exactly what I expect them to do. So, yes, the Republican state legislatures should be absolutely as brutal as they can, gerrymander as ruthlessly as possible. That’s the game the democrats have played for decades, now it’s time to beat them at it.

EDIT: Another thought: The blues states losing districts have to redraw district lines too…that means they can gerrymander away a red district or two, as well…and that’s exactly what I expect them to do. So, yes, the Republican state legislatures should be absolutely as brutal as they can, gerrymander as ruthlessly as possible. That’s the game the democrats have played for decades, now it’s time to beat them at it.

The democrats have cheated and gerrymandered their way to control for decades, but the republicans will never get away with it because it’s racis’ to gerrymander the democrat districts.

I was speaking in terms of electoral votes.

Let them cry racism the same way that the Boy who cried Wolf. The Republicans need to start giving the Democrats a taste of their own medicine.

true enough.

Is this to say that everyone except Mexicans are having abortaions? (Watch out for believing that Republicans wll pick up votes. :wink:)

Only one state, Michigan, lost population during the past decade.

People have been leaving MI in DROVES. And I’d say who, but it’d sound racist of me to point out that those leaving were in search of work.

Nevada, with a 35 percent increase, was the fastest-growing state.

Those fleeing California?

I’ll believe this is a boon to Republicans when I see it.

The 2010 count represents the number of people – citizens as well as legal [SIZE=3]**and illegal immigrants **-- who called the U.S. their home on April 1.[/SIZE]

308,745,538, up from 281.4 million a decade ago

So the question is; how many are illegal immigrants ??? and they get representation in congress. :eek:

Even the legal immigrants should not have representation in Congress.

Over 12 million were illegal in 2006-2008. So I say, close to 24 million now?

Either way, I think a slowing population growth is a VERY GOOD sign for the Republican Party. I’m a Demographics buff, and It’s not rocket science to know that less growth = GOP Gains, more Growth = Democratic gains.

So, our gains in states, like Texas, and S. Carolina may have shifted 2 to 4 points more democrat overall, but still very much republican.

ANYWAYS…

I’d be lying if I said, I didn’t support Gerrymandering!

So Go GOP Legislatures!

I’m guessing that you mean those without citizenship status.