Checking Notification

Yesterday and today I had some notifications . . . today there were 4, yesterday it was 2. Typically, it’s either PM’s or Thanks notifications. Both times, clicking on the drop down took me directly to that new “Thanks” page where it shows the graph, etc., NOT a listing of CURRENT thanks or the PM in box if it’s PM’s.

So today I also went to RET’s link in his sig for “Check Your Thanks” and got the same result . . . that new Thanks page ONLY. It’s a php page, but it goes directly to “http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/thanks.php”.

You guys were recoding for that new @ thing on notifications also, so I’m wondering if that’s what’s causing this.

What gives? I can’t get to the current listing of thanks received. I can get to my in box, but I don’t have any new PM’s, so it must be thanks.

Coincidentally, checking subscribed threads, I DID find some new thanks on my posts, so that was probably the notifications.

[quote=“BobJam, post:1, topic:44087”]
Yesterday and today I had some notifications . . . today there were 4, yesterday it was 2. Typically, it’s either PM’s or Thanks notifications. Both times, clicking on the drop down took me directly to that new “Thanks” page where it shows the graph, etc., NOT a listing of CURRENT thanks or the PM in box if it’s PM’s.

So today I also went to RET’s link in his sig for “Check Your Thanks” and got the same result . . . that new Thanks page ONLY. It’s a php page, but it goes directly to “http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/thanks.php”.

You guys were recoding for that new @ thing on notifications also, so I’m wondering if that’s what’s causing this.

What gives? I can’t get to the current listing of thanks received. I can get to my in box, but I don’t have any new PM’s, so it must be thanks.

Coincidentally, checking subscribed threads, I DID find some new thanks on my posts, so that was probably the notifications.
[/quote]I scrolled down, and there they were.

1 Like

Yes, but it is very confusing–too much information, IMO. Is it possible to get both?

Bobjam: I’m going to send you a pm. See if you can open it.

1 Like

What Tiny said; if you scroll down on the new “thanks” page, the most recent “thanks” are displayed. The post number isn’t there, although you can get it by just putting the cursor on the link and seeing the post number in the URL at the bottom.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:2, topic:44087”]
I scrolled down, and there they were.
[/quote]Yes, I see that now.

There seems to be a part of this that is significantly different from the way it used to be, but I can’t put my finger on it right now. Perhaps it’s just that it “looks different” and once I get use to it, there really will be NO difference. It’s just too early for me to draw any accurate conclusions.

Have to try what is apparently a “new way”. Conservatives are not always the best at dealing with change, so maybe that’s my problem.

Too, I may have missed the heads-up on this, and the fact that it took me by surprise may have something to do with my befuddlement. Had I seen the heads-up on this, I probably would have been in a more “adaptable” frame of mind.

I miss the old simplicity and especially the post number.

1 Like

It seems like when I get notification of thanks, when I scroll down to where the recent thanks are, there’s no way to tell which ones I’ve looked at already and which I haven’t. Some are greyed out (which would indicate I already looked at them) and some are colored, but the dates are wrong. So, I’m all confused. I, too, like the other way, but I guess we just have to adjust to new things. I hate when that happens…:crybaby:

Seems like there may be some kinks in this thing, OR it’s just that some of us need to “get with the program”. In any case, I too, like RET and CT, miss the “old way”.

Apologies for two things:

1. Not alerting everyone to the sudden change.
  2. Not being around this week to quickly iterate on & respond to feedback. (unexpectedly was afk more than i anticipated)

Zedd has made some changes based on feedback in this thread and is waiting for me to put them in place. I won’t have time til this weekend.

Sorry, traveling all week and can’t give more of an update other than that at the moment. We’ll get this to a place where it’s easy for everyone to use, and easy for Zedd and me to maintain+integrate into the new home page.

Thanks for your patience :ranger:

4 Likes

No real biggie. More of a just-so-you-know…

I’m getting thanks for what others have said in threads I haven’t even participated in. Bit of a hoot, actually.

[quote=“BobJam, post:5, topic:44087”]
There seems to be a part of this that is significantly different from the way it used to be, but I can’t put my finger on it right now
[/quote]I think I can put my finger on it now.

The top most in the listing DOES NOT necessarily reflect the most recent . . . sometimes you have to go hunting for it.

It IS sorted according to date, but within the date it is not necessarily sorted by the most recent. The old listing DID show the top most as the most recent.

1 Like

Very confusing…

Yeah, I noticed that too, and found it confusing. On the other hand, RO never used to even have the “thanks” function.

I got 5000 thanks the other night. Must have made an impression. :slight_smile:

A few small changes were pushed to the thanks page today:

• Your recent thanks now appear on the top, while the graph appears on the bottom half of the page.
  • Post ID# is included in the post title.

What we’re still working on:

• revising the header to be the exact same as the forum
  • verifying the precise order of the thanks you received today
5 Likes

WIJG: Just wanted you to know that the new “Thanks” is great! It’s much easier to see! Thanks again!

1 Like

[quote=“WhoIsJohnGalt, post:15, topic:44087”]
A few small changes were pushed to the thanks page today:

• Your recent thanks now appear on the top, while the graph appears on the bottom half of the page.
  • Post ID# is included in the post title.

What we’re still working on:

• revising the header to be the exact same as the forum
  • verifying the precise order of the thanks you received today
    [/quote]I know you and Zedd have bigger fish to fry and there are greater priorities, AND as FC said, there was a time when RO didn’t even have the “thanks” function . . . so in a way I don’t feel this is that critical, but . . . it is bothersome.

The “thanks” has yet to be sorted so that the most recent shows on the very top line.

Let’s say you have 5 thanks. If it comes in all at once, there’s no problem . . . those links are shown as never visited and who cares about the order, because you’re going to click on all the links anyway.

But lets say another 1 dribbles in ON THE SAME DATE . . . which is actually typical. (If the date has changed, it’s easy to spot.)

And let’s say it’s on a post you already got a thanks on for THAT DATE . . . so that link is already marked as visited. And let’s say it’s by a person that already thanked you on another post . . . so that person is already listed.

Now, since that thanks is NOT necessarily on the top line, you have to go searching the links you already visited, or find where a person’s name is listed twice (“Hmmmm . . . which person was only listed once last time but is now listed twice? No, not THAT one . . .”)

This very example has happened to me several times and it’s maddening (certainly not a deal breaker . . . I can live with it, but as I said it’s an annoyance).

If they were sorted by date AND TIME, the most recent being the topmost, the problem would go away.

Not a big deal, and not something that should make you guys drop everything and attend to it, but if you can squeeze it in (and the fix seems like it would just be a sorting command), I’d be grateful.

TIA

4 Likes

[MENTION=12020]Zedd[/MENTION] have you already prepared and/or pushed a fix for this to our dev server? Please PM me when / if it’s already there

I can understand how that could be maddening [MENTION=10945]BobJam[/MENTION]. :eusa_think: [MENTION=10090]WhoIsJohnGalt[/MENTION], I will look into that this weekend and get it fixed. I had just been busy with my 9 to 5 and the upcoming home page that I haven’t been able to do much otherwise. :banghead:

3 Likes

[quote=“Zedd, post:19, topic:44087”]
I can understand how that could be maddening [MENTION=10945]BobJam[/MENTION]. :eusa_think: [MENTION=10090]WhoIsJohnGalt[/MENTION], I will look into that this weekend and get it fixed. I had just been busy with my 9 to 5 and the upcoming home page that I haven’t been able to do much otherwise. :banghead:
[/quote]No big deal . . . just as long as you’re aware of it. If you attend to it when you’re so inclined and have the time, I thank you.