China to engineer GENIUS babies...

Pretty scary stuff. Sample here…the whole story at the link.

"
It’s not exactly news that China is setting itself up as a new global superpower, is it? While Western civilization chokes on its own gluttony like a latter-day Marlon Brando, China continues to buy up American debt and lock away the world’s natural resources. But now, not content to simply laugh and make jerk-off signs as they pass us on the geopolitical highway, they’ve also developed a state-endorsed genetic-engineering project.
At BGI Shenzhen, scientists have collected DNA samples from 2,000 of the world’s smartest people and are sequencing their entire genomes in an attempt to identify the alleles which determine human intelligence. Apparently they’re not far from finding them, and when they do, embryo screening will allow parents to pick their brightest zygote and potentially bump up every generation’s intelligence by five to 15 IQ points. Within a couple of generations, competing with the Chinese on an intellectual level will be like challenging Lena Dunham to a getting-naked-on-TV contest…

**How will the research be applied?**
Once you’ve got that information and a fertilized egg that’s divided  into a few cells, **you can sample one of the cells to figure out the  expected intelligence** if it’s implanted and becomes a person.

**What does that mean in human language?**
Any given couple could potentially have several eggs fertilized in the  lab with the dad’s sperm and the mom’s eggs. Then you can test multiple  embryos and **analyze which one’s going to be the smartest. That kid would  belong to that couple as if they had it naturally, but it would be the  smartest a couple would be able to produce if they had 100 kids.** It’s  not genetic engineering or adding new genes, it’s the genes that couples  already have.

**And over the course of several generations you’re able to exponentially multiply the population’s intelligence.**
Right. **Even if it only boosts the average kid by five IQ points, that’s  a huge difference in terms of economic productivity, the  competitiveness of the country, how many patents they get, how their  businesses are run, and how innovative their economy is.**

China Is Engineering Genius Babies | VICE United States

Now this is all preliminary AND based on finding most of the genetic contributors to intelligence…but it is technically possible.
Question: Assuming this research in China is fruitful…What should the USA response to this be??

Intelligence is relative. You can sit there and call me stupid, for believing in God, for denying man made global warming, for believing a human becomes a person upon implantation, etc. I can call you stupid for not knowing how to rebuild your transmission, which fish bite at night, or what building codes apply to a home remodel.
I have no respect for intellectuals, mainly because they give themselves too much, to begin with. Common Sense does not appear to have any tie, to IQ points. In fact, they seem to be, in effect, opposites.

So you believe a nation that had an average population two full standard deviations smarter than our own population would actually be at our mercy because we’d have the common sense? I see…did you used to work for the Neanderthals and convince them of the same thing? :smiley:

Note: I don’t disagree with the notion that knowledge of various kinds…practical fishing tips…to orbital velocities is valuable. Depending on the situation you might rather have a plumber than a physicist. Knowledge of plumbing served me much better than knowledge of Kant. And some profs. can be ill suited to the real world. On balance though…you don’t find double digit IQ’s at the top of the food chain…you find them working for the people at the top. Just common dense.
If China ever gets a 15 point edge…we’ll all be working for them…without a lot of say in the matter.

Common sense isn’t what drives scientific development, understanding of how to manage the inner workings of a State, etc. The Chinese (assuming this is successful) will simply be on average better, in everything that requires innovation, organisation, things like that, breeding smarter scientists and more calculating politicians.

I think positive eugenics-like programs such as this are a good thing, as long as the parents are doing it voluntarily. It’s a smart thing to do.

I agree. Some people may call it wrong but I find nothing wrong with the betterment of humanity. Natural selection will weed out the weak regardless of intelligence though.

It may backfire. They may create a “monster” that will overthrow their system.

We would hope that SMARTER people would!! :smiley:

I said none of that.
I said intelligence is relative. I had a father in law who helped put Voyager into space, but couldn’t manage his own checkbook. He could talk above your head on any scientific subject, but couldn’t explain to a 12 year old, how to fix a bike chain. I have worked in the field building complex structures, like high rise buildings, bridges, etc. The engineers would come out on the job, with all their degrees flapping in the wind, and proceed to make utter fools of themselves, concerning the building of a structure, according to their own plans. The laborers could understand the difficulties certain situations presented, better than the college grads who couldn’t hammer a nail straight, if their lives depended on it.
Yes, people with real low IQs, won’t ever be CEO at Apple, but I know a guy right now, who can barely spell his own middle name(Dean), but make 300,000/year fixing Jet Skis and boats. My neighbor is an architect, but needs me to help him put an element in his hot water heater.
It takes all types to make this country great. Judging from the college level intellect running around this site, intelligence of the book learned variety, is over rated. How many bosses do we need? Someone who can actually DO the work, is just as important as he who planned the work. Not everyone, very few actually, is suited for cerebral greatness.
Granted, their are many skilled and wise intellectuals out there, but I’d venture to say that there are no more of those, than there are uneducated success stories.