Christmas Dinner

What is on the menu in your house?

My family always has a Mexican Christmas. This includes:

Tamales
regular and Cheese Enchiladas
Stuffed Peppers
Dirty Rice
(other stuff the in laws bring that they think is mexican lol)

For dessert all I know is banana pudding and chocolate pie.

[quote=“Seravee, post:1, topic:42057”]
What is on the menu in your house?

My family always has a Mexican Christmas. This includes:

Tamales
regular and Cheese Enchiladas
Stuffed Peppers
Dirty Rice
(other stuff the in laws bring that they think is mexican lol)

For dessert all I know is banana pudding and chocolate pie.
[/quote]oooo, I love Tamales.
Stuffed Peppers? Is this like a Chile Poblano/Serrano, or like jalapeno poppers?
Enchiladas usually give me heartburn, but I so love to eat them. My low carb lifestyle, won’t let me have any of that, but sounds delicious.
I am frying a turkey at my Dear Sweet Gray Haired Mother’s house, since mine won’t be completed until the middle of January. We are making low carb stuffing, with Carbquik, low carb green bean casserole and lower carb cranberry/apple relish served on baked pear halves. (not truly low carb, but we’re using artificial sweetener). Salad and low carb rolls.

The peppers are jalapeno. My grandmother makes them and makes half without the seeds and leaves the seeds in the other half for the rest of the family that can handle alittle heat.

Whats the taste difference with low carb stuff?

[quote=“Seravee, post:3, topic:42057”]
The peppers are jalapeno. My grandmother makes them and makes half without the seeds and leaves the seeds in the other half for the rest of the family that can handle alittle heat.

Whats the taste difference with low carb stuff?
[/quote]Very little difference.
If you are used to sugar, you’ll probably notice some difference, but it would not be disgusting or anything like that.
Carbquik is like bisquik, but with less carbs. So, we make bread with the carbquik, and turn that into large croutons, from which we make the stuffing. If I didn’t tell you, you’d likely not notice. Same with the casserole. The cranberry relish would be the only “giveaway”, but I still enjoy it, immensely.(and it isn’t truly low carb, with all the fruit.)

We’re doing a ham, mashed taters, apple pie. Instead of a salad, we’re doing “Heavenly Rice,” which is almost another dessert. It’s one cup of rice (which cooks to 3 cups), a can of crushed pineapple, drained, a half-pint of whipping cream, whipped, with sugar to taste, all mixed together. Very tasty!

I seldom do any kind of pie other than apple since we have lots of home-canned apple pie filling.

Susanna a tip about rice, I have cooked rice in orange juice instead of water also used apple juice. I have combined this in a porkchop casserole with mushroom soup topping.[tried tang years ago, that was awful so I stick with plain juices]. great presentation. delicate flavor and color.
Our Christmas dinner is a glazed ham, candied yams and a new greenbean and pearl onion recipe. not sure exactly what we are doing yet with this. And with my famous cornbread. Sally and I usually share cooking chores, but this kitchen is a bit small we still work together but tough staying out of each others way.

Hmm, cooking rice in juice, that sounds good! It might even do for the rice dish I mentioned. But for just plain rice - we have a lot of it that has been sitting there for years, and we don’t use it much, so maybe that would be a way to use it up more quickly. Although we mostly don’t buy regular juice, but the “juice cocktails.” Of course, they’re nothing like Tang.

I hope that we have our traditional fessenjoon.

Seravee, we’re having sausage and peppers, along with some other appetizers and goodies. My husband loves sausage and peppers. We’re having a cozy gathering of friends, family and neighbors like we do every year. Today I’m going to prepare the sausage and peppers. Cheesecake and cookies for dessert along with lots of other appetizers on trays.

I went to the grocery store last night and they were packed and it was raining. I got the last two packs of finger rolls left on the shelf and it was just enough thank goodness. LOL

Going to toss some logs on the fire today, even though it’s not that cold outside for this time of year. The hubby worked a long 12 hours yesterday so he’s still in bed snoring this morning. LOL

Have a wonderful Christmas Seravee! :wave:

Typically we have a big ham or steak with all the trappings and all 30+ members of the extended family. This year, however, we’re flying to London on Christmas (tomorrow) night, so we just had shrimp Fra Diablo as our family meal with my Nana and aunt.

Merry Christmas to all (and to all a good night).

Have gone to the same Japanese restaurant for the last 3 years. Probably keep the new tradition going!

We usually have the kids and foster kids here sometime on Christmas (either for lunch or dinner) and one thing is ALWAYS on the menu…Pappadave’s world-famous mashed potatoes. I peel and chop up 5 pounds of potatoes and cook until tender, pour off the water, add 1/4 pound of real butter, one block of Philadelphia cream cheese and hand-mix until smooth, adding salt, coarse-ground pepper and 3/4ths to all of a pint of sour cream. No milk. Occasionally, I’ll add half a cup of buttermilk ranch dressing. My kids and grandkids DEMAND it every time they eat here. Not exactly heart-healthy, but much in demand.