CISPA Passes in House

North Korean hackers and the Boston bombings might not appear to have much in common. But not according to some American lawmakers, who are using both to justify passing a controversial cybersecurity bill that civil liberties advocates claim “undermines the privacy of millions of Internet users.”

Yesterday, the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA, was approved by the House of Representatives by a vote of 288 to 127. The law was first introduced in 2011 and approved last year by the House, though it died in the Senate after an outpouring of opposition from privacy and civil liberties groups. But it has been resurrected and is heading to the Senate for the second time. Predictably, the storm of criticism has also reappeared. Rights groups have consistently raised concerns over how CISPA would allow corporations to pass unanonymized user data to federal government agencies for vaguely defined “cybersecurity” purposes—and be covered by full legal indemnity when doing so.

Mike McCaul cites Boston bombing as a reason why CISPA should be passed.

Obama has pledged to veto CISPA if it passes through the Senate.

Good bill. Much changed from SOPA which I opposed. I think it is NEEDED in terms of cyber-security/trade secrets/DOS etc. and now has sufficient individual rights protections, oversight and volunteerism to not be a risk to individual rights.

I don’t like it because it makes any sort of privacy statement by any website moot, since a simple vague reason of “cybersecurity” will result in the release of your data.

Ya I am with Trekky on this one. In another thread I referred to why I support the 2nd Amendment in that the rights of the people must be protected even if that means risking individuals from abusing those freedoms. The same must go for the internet, in many ways the last free place on Earth. I am no stranger to the risk of computer hacking, my system got hacked a few years back and all my important information possibly stolen. My tax info, my personal info, my work stuff, etc. How I responded was better security software and more awareness of my privacy and personal information on online sites. I dont have accounts anymore on any site, preferring to purchase things as a “guest” and taking the extra 15 mins to fill in my relevant detail. The thing we should be pushing is investing in software and infrastructure that fights hackers and viruses, not a system that can monitor to you in case someone tries to hack you. Already the big name companies have been investing millions in cybersecurity systems, and this is important and I applaud those measures. But the government should not be diving into every single website, company, or forum, monitoring them in case of hacker activity. God knows power corrupts.

It was improved from SOPA but not worthy of passing.
CISPA Explainer #1: What Information Can Be Shared?
CISPA Explainer #2: With Whom Can Information Be Shared?
CISPA Explainer #3: What Can Be Done With Information After It Is Shared?
CISPA Explainer #4: Is There Anything Besides Information-Sharing Hidden in CISPA?

Some of the most conservative Republicans voted no on the bill, showing that Tea Party Republicans care more about civil liberties and privacy than Bush era Republicans:

Republicans who voted nay:

Amash
Bentivolio
Bishop
Bridenstine
Broun
Davis, Rodney
DeSantis
Duncan (SC)
Fleming
Garrett
Gibson
Gohmert
Gosar
Hall
Herrera Butler
Huelskamp
Kingston
Labrador
Marchant
Massie
McClintock
Meadows
Posey
Rigell
Rohrabacher
Sensabrenner
Stockman
Yoho

It’s an awful bill

What a disgusting bill. I cannot believe that any “republican conservative” would vote for this. My internet history, cache, cookies etc. are wiped every night with a Gutman pass. I do not leave information behind for anyone to steal.

Here is some government hypocrisy for you.

US Senate, CIA, House of Representatives Caught Downloading Pirated Content - Softpedia

Cybersecurity is very defined and very narrow, read the bill

Your boy Broun voted YES for CISPA last year

H.R. 3523 (112th): Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (On Passage of the Bill) – GovTrack.us

He got it right this year.

You mean he has a senate primary coming up