City hikes taxes on Sandy-hit houses

Homeowners in an exclusive waterfront enclave in Brooklyn thought Hurricane Sandy was as cruel a blow as they could suffer — until the taxman proved them wrong.

The city is claiming that property values have actually shot up for many homes in Manhattan Beach and it’s going ahead with hefty tax hikes for the houses devastated by the October superstorm, shocked property owners told The Post.

Homeowners in other neighborhoods hit by Sandy, including Coney Island, the Rockaways and parts of Staten Island, also said they’ve received increases.

“This is totally insensitive and heartless,” said Ira Zalcman, president of the Manhattan Beach Community Group, which has received more than 30 complaints from residents about the hikes.

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2013/02/11/news/web_photos/11.1n007.manbeach--300x300.jpg

[RIGHT][COLOR=#777777][FONT=arial !important]Paul Martinka[/RIGHT]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
“We just sustained one of the worst national disasters in our nation’s history, and now the city is delusional, claiming our property values went up.”

EXCLUSIVE: Hurricane Sandy damaged homes in New York City see property-tax assessment increases in spite of damage - NYPOST.com

Happy Valentine’s day guys. Voting for Obama really counted

Remind me again who voted against the Hurricane Sandy Relief Bill…

I’m amazed at Sam’s wit at blaming Obama for Hurricane Sandy suffering…

Did you read the article Trekky? The taxes and Sandy are separate.

Finance Department spokesman Owen Stone said any tax hikes are part of a capped, state-approved five-year formula for setting assessment levels.

Just who is it again that runs New York and Albany that forgot these hikes were coming? The state will be flooded with reassessment requests that they can never complete before their own deadline. In the meantime the homeowners are stuck with the bill.

And they have until March to appeal to the city. I’m sure their taxes will go down if they show the city that their property values have in fact gone down.

But that really isn’t the point. Sam makes it his mission to blame Obama for everything he can think of. I don’t like him either, but he recently blamed him for an elderly woman being left at a nursing home. Are you kidding me? And now he’s laying the blame on him for the suffering of families struck by Hurricane Sandy? That is absolutely shameful. 179 Republicans in Congress voted against Sandy relief funds, and yet he wears blinders, as always, and ignores that, instead blaming everything on Obama while his ideology and party are perfectly free of blame. It’s ridiculous, and I will point out that hypocrisy as long as he does it.

So how exactly is Obama to blame for tax increases in New York, which aren’t even tax increase. They’re increases in estimated values on homes that can be disputed. It’s shameful hypocrisy.

[quote=“tperkins, post:4, topic:38186”]
Did you read the article Trekky? The taxes and Sandy are separate.

Just who is it again that runs New York and Albany that forgot these hikes were coming? The state will be flooded with reassessment requests that they can never complete before their own deadline. In the meantime the homeowners are stuck with the bill.
[/quote]I am not even going to look at trekky’s posts, he probably is talking about any subject other than what the article is about –as usual.

This is why state constitutional provisions - ala CA’s much maligned and misrepresented Proposition 13 - are absolutely essential. Otherwise pols see citizens properties as little more than sources of revenue to be milked. And milked. And milked. Until people get taxed out of their homes

They didn’t vote against the bill dammit! They voted against the pork riding shotgun on the bill!

I don’t cotton to Sam blaming Obama for every tick on the windshield, but if his point is to throw back everything from the sun not shining being blamed on Bush, then I get his point.

That aside, you’re being just as silly by blaming Republicans for voting against the Sandy bill when someone as involved as you seem to be pretends to not know WHY they voted against a bill that had so much pork it included funding ‘cattle fences in Wyoming.’
(Do I really need explain why that’s put in semi-quotes?)

Every bill has pork. That’s not an excuse, and it wasn’t the excuse the House gave. The Republicans said they wanted the relief paid for, i.e. they weren’t about to give aid unless they got the cuts they wanted. Disgusting.

If Sam wants to be taken seriously, he needs to blame the people actually responsible, namely the New York government and tax authority. If he’s going to blame Obama for every little thing, I’m going to point out the flaws in his ideology as well. I’m simply tired of it. It’s impossible to have an actual conversation with such extensive blinders on.

It was a homeless shelter where the lady got dropped off to be precise. And really, if everything going wrong in this country for the last 20 years is somehow George Bush’s fault according to Washington and the MSM than a little balance is fair lol

When have I ever said everything was George Bush’s fault. I certainly haven’t, and I haven’t even seen George Bush mentioned in almost five years. If Sam is trying to make a point, he surely did it four years ago. But the truth is that’s not what he’s doing. He genuinely wants to blame everything on Obama, and if he’s going to, I’m going to point out why he’s wrong. The faults of others blaming Bush five years ago have no bearing on his behavior now.

I didn’t say you blamed Bush, but you’re looking at Obama through blinders if you haven’t heard him blame Bush. I know you said you don’t have a TV but read his interviews and speeches. Also what the news feeds have said.

He also has a computer, and internet access.