Civilian Hero Thread

Please post anyone you know of that is a civilian hero. Its only right to start this thread off with these fine Americans. Brings tears to the eyes…:flag:

Knowing they were next, the passengers voted to fight back and launched a counterattack, attempting to wrest control of the Boeing 757 back from the hijackers. During the struggle, the plane slammed into a field near Shanksville in Somerset County, a rural area roughly 80 miles south of Pittsburgh.

The final words of several passengers have become almost legendary.

<!–startclickprintexclude–><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=220 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><!–===========IMAGE============–>

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/US/09/11/ar911.memorial.pennsylvania/story.bell.pool.jpg

<!–===========/IMAGE===========–></TD></TR><TR><TD><!–===========CAPTION==========–>At 10:06 a.m., the time of Flight 93 crashed, a bell tolled 40 times for each person aboard the flight. <!–===========/CAPTION=========–></TD><TD width=15> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!–endclickprintexclude–>
Passenger Todd Beamer used an onboard phone to call the FBI and at the end of the call, the operator overheard him say, “Let’s roll.” Before hanging up on the fourth and final phone call to his wife Deena, passenger Tom Burnett told her that he and others “are going to do something.”

According to a recently published book about the flight, “Among the Heroes,” flight attendant Sandy Bradshaw told her husband Phil that she was boiling water to use in the attack. She ended the call by saying, “Phil, everyone’s running to first class. I’ve got to go. Bye.”
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/09/11/ar911.memorial.pennsylvania/

Thanks, Pale Horse, for starting this Thread.

I strongly agree with your choice of civilian hero. There were several on that flight. God bless them. Their selfless choice saved many lives.

To reiterate my Post on another Thread:

Of very few humans that might be considered godlike, I started thinking who I admire more than anyone else.

He was [one of the] truest heroes in civilian life I’ve ever come across. Read what he did, what he did without concern for himself, as if motivated by some inner strength resident in only a handful.

This hero was the late Arland D. Willims, Jr. who gave his life to save others until there were no others to save, and then simply sank [and drowned], his last bit of strength gone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arland_D._Williams_Jr.

I think about this guy and every other civilian I’ve ever heard promoted as a hero seems like a nobody.

Does anyone else know of someone like Williams? Who did what Christ taught: “No greater love has any man than he would give up his life for his friend”.

Williams extended the meaning of the word “friend” to anyone whose life would be lost without the intercession of someone with uncommon courage and will power to help him live regardless of the mortal danger to himself.

not skeptical about Williams<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=“95%” align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

<CENTER>Buford Pusser

Dec. 12, 1937 - Aug. 21, 1974
Sheriff of McNary County Tennessee
1964 - 1970
"He Walked Tall" </CENTER>

Buford Hayse Pusser was the McNairy County Tennessee Sheriff from 1964 - 70. His heroics resulted in two books and three “Walking Tall” movies. The man’s life, both before and after he became famous, can be examined up close in the former Pusser home in Adamsville, Tennessee. He was described by his friends and family as a quiet, kind and caring man, a gentle giant. Pusser stood 6 feet 6 inches tall and weighed 250 pounds. His shadow cast across the nation one of the tallest in law enforcement history. He was a rugged symbol of justice who became an American folk hero, a legend with world-wide recognition.

http://www.beyondthebadge.com/bufordpusser.htm

I would say Law enforcment can be put here also. Seeing it is none military.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I can’t really argue with your choice of Pusser. I’ve seen all the movies based on his life, including the latest with “The RocK” as Pusser. Bad.

Pusser didn’t directly sacrifice his life for the people he served. He acted as much out of personal outrage as heroism.

But, he had enormous courage and selfless determination to clean up his neck of the woods, and died in the process.

And he didn’t even make it through Marine basic training! :smile:

He was born with his “take-no-prisoners” attitude, I imagine.

Whatever his motives, he was the kind of man of which we have far too few.

skeptical first

PS. I liked Jo Don Baker’s portrayal of Pusser most. Jeez, that was 33 years ago!

I liked Bo Svenson. I havent watched the one with “the Rock”. Beside the fact he cant act, I dont think the old series can be beat. It was awesome. Baker was good as well.

You do know that Svenson was the second to portray Pusser?? He was good.
I think you should see Baker’s version if you haven’t already. It’s a great film.

“The Rock” is, of course, a poor actor in or out of the ring. But he is one big dude.

Pusser himself was 6’6" and 250#.

sf

This thread is a good idea, although I am ashamed to say nobody comes to mind to add to it right now.

PH, you can sticky it if you’d like.

Chiune and Yukiko Sugihara

In the course of human existence, many people are tested. Only a few soar as eagles and achieve greatness by simple acts of kindness, thoughtfulness and humanity. This is the story of a man and his wife who, when confronted with evil, obeyed the kindness of their hearts and conscience in defiance of the orders of an indifferent government. These people were Chiune and Yukiko Sugihara who, at the beginning of World War II, by an ultimate act of altruism and self-sacrifice, risked their careers, their livelihood and their future to save the lives of more than 6,000 Jews. This selfless act resulted in the second largest number of Jews rescued from the Nazis.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/sugihara.html

What an awesome story! I never heard of this gentleman before. There is one I have heard of who saved the lives of a lot of Jews, but I don’t remember his name. He was Himmler’s private doctor. Himmler was subject to severe back pains (I think it was back pains), and this man had a touch with massage that could relieve him, and he was the only way he could find relief. The doctor would sometimes make Himmler promise to do something that resulted in the freedom of a lot of Jews, and Himmler would acquiesce, knowing that otherwise he would not get relief for the pain. My daughter had a book about him from a local library when she was in grade school. I can’t remember the exact title, but it was something like “The Man with the Magic Hands.” Not sure of the word “magic,” it may have been another adjective, but that is the essence of the books title.

Felix Kersten and the Secret Plot to Turn Himmler Against Hitler

To his credit, Kersten used his unique vantage point to gather
information to pass along to the OSS (the U.S. Office of Strategic
Service) and to steer Hitlers chief executioner into a somewhat less murderous direction. In 1941, he persuaded Himmler to disobey Hitlers order to resettle 8.5 million Dutch and Flemish citizens by
convincing the head of the SS that he would collapse under the stress
of such a massive effort. He also talked Himmler into saving the lives
of Swedish nationals arrested by the Gestapo in Poland and
Germany, as well as refraining from demanding that the Finnish
government round up and turn over to the Nazis all Jews in Finland.

By the end of 1942, Himmler understood that Nazi Germany
would ultimately go down in defeat and that he would surely be tried
as a major war criminal. Fully aware of Himmlers apprehensions, Kersten called on him to plot in overthrowing Hitler and to allow German troops to surrender to the Western Allies. Towards the end of the war, he convinced the "the narrow chested, weak chinned, and spectacled" mass murderer of the wisdom of an "eleventh-hour action" to help the Jews as a way of achieving some sort of "absolution." In his greatest achievement, Kersten arranged a crucial meeting between Himmler, Norbert Masur, a member of the Swedish branch of the World Jewish Congress, and himself at the latters own
country home, Harztwalde, ten miles from the Ravensbruck
concentration camp, which resulted in Himmlers reluctantly agreeing to decline Hitlers order to kill the remaining 60,000 Jews
left in Nazi concentration camps days before their liberation by the
Allies.

http://www.jewishpress.com/page.do/2156/Review%3A_The_Devil%60s_Doctor%3A_Felix_Kersten_and_the_Secret_Plot_to_Turn_Himmler_Against_Hitler.html

OK, yeah, now I remember, it was his stomach that caused the problems that only Kersten could relieve. The book noted on that site was not the same one; I believe the one my daughter read was written with a youth audience in mind. Many of the same incidents were presented, though.

“America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships. It has aggravated the derogation of the father’s role in an increasingly fatherless society. It has portrayed the greatest of gifts – a child – as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. It has nominally accorded mothers unfettered dominion over the independent lives of their physically dependent sons and daughters”
And, in granting this unconscionable power, it has exposed many women to unjust and selfish demands from their husbands or other sexual partners. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being’s entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign." (Mother Theresa – “Notable and Quotable,” Wall Street Journal, 2/25/94, p. A14)

http://www.gargaro.com/mother_teresa/teresa1.jpg

The dean of heroes.

http://www.moviestar-photos.com/graphics/tn/252/252937.jpg

A tireless advocate for victim’s rights and missing children, John Walsh has turned his passion for justice into the nation’s number-one crime-fighting show, America’s Most Wanted: America Fights Back. Walsh is no stranger to violent crime; in fact, his incredibly successful career as a host of a nationally televised program, and as an advocate for victim’s rights, was a career Walsh never anticipated.

In the summer of 1981, Walsh was a partner in a hotel management company in Hollywood, Florida. He was living the American dream. He and his wife, Reve, had a beautiful six-year-old son, Adam, the joy of their lives. They never thought crime could touch them. But that joy was shattered on July 27th, 1981, when Adam was abducted and later found murdered. The Walshs’ have never received the closure that America’s Most Wanted has brought the lives of so many crime victims. The prime suspect in Adam’s murder, Ottis Toole, was never charged in the Adam Walsh case; he died in prison while serving life for other crimes taking the truth to the grave with him.

http://www.tv.com/john-walsh/person/2580/biography.html

A civilian hero!!
Well, that indeed is my daughters Godfather. He is a Marine but not active in the military anymore. He served in the War on Terror a few yrs back and came home safely. Now he is a Civilian Security Contractor. You do not hear much about those guys. They deserve just as much support and prayers as the military does. He is one of our True American Heroes!!
I am not posting his pic due to his job!!

:flag:

Frank Hamer: Legendary Texas Ranger and the man who hunted down Bonnie & Clyde

TEXAS RANGER DISPATCH Magazine

Thank-you, thank-you.

I love reading about history and learning about his makes me angry that history in school is treated like a second class citizen. So much could be accomplished in teaching history…SO MUCH…and it just isn’t.

I agree…so awesome–and I, too, have never heard of him.

I know that movies can make things melodramatic or water them down…but there are some really great historical movies out there (or mini-series like John Adams and Band of Brothers) that are great historical gifts. If done right this would be awesome movie that would not only inform people about someone who was not even a Jews and was technically part of the enemy helping save people. He didn’t look at who they were other than that they were human and needed his help.

That was also a great point about the Japanese Americans in the war…while at “home” not treated kindly.

The link no longer works.

Why did you choose him?

:cowboy:

***THIS ***(among other things) is why I’m back in. 9/11 is IMHO when Gen X grew up. We now have our Gettysburg, our Peleliu.

AO2 sends

Rick Rescorla.

Fr. Mychal Judge.

Todd Beamer has been mentioned.

343 heroes of the FDNY.

(having a difficult time, need to go take a break)