Clinton, Sanders at odds over Philly soda tax plan

Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Sen. Bernie Sanders have waded into America’s great soda debate – and it has nothing to do with whether it should be called "pop."
Clinton this week publicly endorsed a proposal by Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney that would place a tax on soda in order to help fund universal pre-Kindergarten in the city.

Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Sen. Bernie Sanders have waded into America’s great soda debate – and it has nothing to do with whether it should be called "pop."
Clinton this week publicly endorsed a proposal by Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney that would place a tax on soda in order to help fund universal pre-Kindergarten in the city.

Sanders And Clinton Fight Over Whether Soda Should Be Taxed… | Weasel Zippers

I do not understand what purpose pre-kindergarden does except provide a baby sitter. Kindergarden was supposed to prepare children for 1st grade.

Sanders said this:

> “Making sure that every family has high-quality, affordable preschool and child care is a vision that I strongly share,” Sanders said in a written statement. "On the other hand, I do not support paying for this proposal through a regressive tax on soda that will significantly increase taxes on low-income and middle-class Americans. At a time of massive income and wealth inequality, it should be the people on top who see an increase in their taxes, not low-income and working people."
What amazes me is that they don’t question the connection between a soda tax and preschool. Why should people who drink soda have to pay for preschool? Maybe we should have universal Internet service. We can tax frozen pizzas to pay for it. How about universal water and sewer service funded by a tax on BluRay discs? What is wrong with these people?

One guy called on the soda companies to just pay the tax and not pass it on to the customer. What? An idiot. It’s a cost of doing business. It’s part of the price. If the soda company fails to profit, then it will stop making soda, and they won’t pay any taxes whatsoever. Maybe corporations should just send in all profits and make stuff out of the goodness of their hearts.

I really hate government. I hate government by the people too. People are stupid, especially in committee.