College: Fire professor who forced students to vote for Obama

College: Fire professor who forced students to vote for Obama
Robby Soave

2013/02/18

A tenured professor who forced her students to sign pledges that they would vote for President Barack Obama last November should be fired, the college’s president recommended.

Sharon Sweet, an associate professor of mathematics at Brevard Community College in Florida, is guilty of electioneering, harassment, and incompetence, according to a three-month investigation into her classroom behavior leading up to the November election.

The Board of Trustees will hold a hearing on the matter, and then vote on whether to adopt President James Richey’s recommendation that Sweet be fired.

I’ll be optimistic. I’ll put the chances of this professor being canned for this egregious violation of FL law in the 60%-70% range. And the chances this college president will be disciplined for this recommendation down in the 5%-15% range.

She’ll be fired

In Florida, now, I will be pleasantly surprised if they do fire her.

My guess is that they will not.

Maybe my expectations are skewed by having lived in CA most of my life, BOP. In CA the two percentage ranges I suggested would be reversed … the college president would likely be fired …

Are the kids so unable to think for themselves? Even if i signed it I would not follow through. Hell I would of brought it up to a higher power beforehand. No saying that the teacher should get off free but the kids here need to take some responsibility here.

Yeah. If I were one of the students, I’d be pushing big-time of Federal prosecution and a Federal lawsuit- against her personally- for attempting to disenfranchise me.

I’m sure they did what you would have done

Copy the pledge, get a couple witnesses to go along(tape would be nice, students these days are recording most of their classes), sue the University for enough to cover your tuition and books. Free education on Obama!

What I want to know is what got this so-called ‘teacher’ tenure in the first place.

Teachers often try to use scare tactics on their students, particularly at the pre-college level. I saw that happen in East Peoria, IL, when the school system was pushing for a school levy. Not only did they instruct the students to tell parents how bad things would be if the levy didn’t past, in one precinct (there were two), the counting was lopsided. The levy won by 4 votes, and a recount was refused. In the precinct where they won, they had 40 “spoiled” ballots. In the other precinct, they had only 14 spoiled ballots. Tell me the education lobby wasn’t working overtime!