college is pretty much a total waste

Nearly half of the nation’s undergraduates show almost no gains in learning in their first two years of college, in large part because colleges don’t make academics a priority, a new report shows.
Instructors tend to be more focused on their own faculty research than teaching younger students, who in turn are more tuned in to their social lives, according to the report, based on a book titled Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses. Findings are based on transcripts and surveys of more than 3,000 full-time traditional-age students on 29 campuses nationwide, along with their results on the Collegiate Learning Assessment, a standardized test that gauges students’ critical thinking, analytic reasoning and writing skills.

Good news: Study confirms that college is pretty much a total waste of time « Hot Air

In the IT industry, college is far behind certifications in actual importance.
“Time on the bench” is the next most valued.

:sad: Aww.

It depends on what area you are getting into.

This was starting 'way back in the '50’s when I was in college. A certain amount of research was required, at least in some options, and I heard one professor say that the name of the game was “publish or die.”

I suspect that they didn’t talk to very many engineering students. The first two years are just the foundation for the rest. By the end of my sophomore year, I was taking very high level physics. The first two years are the weed out years.

Of course, that was almost 30 years ago. I’ve been seeing some sharp young engineers in the past few years. They must be learning it somewhere.

The report mentions that students are taking classes that require less work than in the past. I think that there has always been a tendency by some people to take the easiest way out–which can be different from taking a path that is less difficult. While taking courses that are difficult and require lots of work, one can find more efficient ways to accomplish that work which is not an easy way out.

As stated before, I would like to see the breakdown of majors of the participants of this study. I would also like to see a general breakdown of majors for students nationwide. That would give us an idea of the real picture of present student scholastic activity as well as the validity of the study.

From what I note, the first two years in college, are spent on bringing the students up to par on WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE LEARNED IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!
From what I also note most “professors” are people who have relational problems on the outside, have no idea what the practical use of what they teach is. I have had young people fresh from college on staff and found that a high schooler could adapt more quickly to the work needed to be done that their college counterparts.
It’s also noted that after f our or five years with a Batchelors or seven or more years with a Masters, most graduates wind up with a career different that their degree.
[doesn’t that say a bookcase full]

Amongst engineers and other technical/scientific fields, the career shift that you mention is more product or employer related than professional. Meaning that an engineer or a physicist is more likely to change employers but, perform similar job functions. The other major shift is when these types decide to move into management. However, they are usually still working in a similar field.

Don’t tell me that(the op), my daughter is half way through her Junior year and I’m counting on her to support me in the manner I’d like to become accustomed to.

No! Go! Go rack up some horrible student loan debt and be under the thumb of those at the top for years. I’m sure you’ll have a good job suitable for someone with your skills/knowledge, when you get out…

I’ve got a weird impression of US universities from watching movies…is it possible to be studying psychology and be doing a class on ‘ancient egypitan art in modern cinema’ or something completely bogus and unrelated? Dou you do a common first year and then branch off into major-specific subjects?

I did a Commerce degree with a double major in Public Relations and Marketing. Because it was through the Curtin Bsuiness School I had to do a load of common 100 subjects, micro economics, macro economics, accounting, information systems, marketing, business communication, legal framework and business law. In second year i started choosing my major units from a load of marketing and PR specific ones but could choose areas to focus on, like international themed subjects or more creative or more analytical. In the PR stream i was in classes with people who were studying PR through the school of journalism as the two are nearly identical and people change between through their careers.

Is this what US college is like? When i did communications at ECU i could do one weird subject per semester I think like myth, ritual and magic or religion (i did those lol). I didn’t go there for more than a year because Curtin had a way better course IMO (and everyone elses)

OH and i saw a fascinating thing on SBS last nite about Cuba that was very ‘look where communism got them’ and i had to share. So, in Cuba you get staples from the government but they are very basic, if you’re on a government wage you get like $100 a year and live a very simple existence

For consumer goods you need access to money from outside Cuba, friends and family etc. The ppl you see living it up in bars and fancy restaurants are often taxi drivers or other servicepeople who get tips from foreigners…some are on $100 a day. So ppl do everything right, get an education, get a government job (teacher doctor lawyer etc) and the ppl who don’t put in the work get the payoff!! Hahaha I thought of RET immediately, if you have a moustache i bet it would have been twitching at the thought of this totally upside-down class system that’s been created thanks to communism.

I find it ironic that an education system which doesn’t emphasize or require courses in logic and critical thinking is perplexed as to how its students could be failing to gain and increase said skills.

The Baby Boomers raised their children to go to college as if this would guarantee success. People are now starting to understand that people, in the past, that went to college were successful not because of their college but because they were motivated.

It is not so much the college education and degree that gives increased wages but the person and their level of determination, intelligence, problem solving ability, and drive.

My wife has a college degree… in education. She’s not working in that field, she’s a 911 dispatcher.

I make almost 4 times what she does, and yes, I do rub it in.

What do you do? O_o

Enterprise Server Administration, and Information Assurance.

College isn’t a waste, and sorry to break it to the anarchists, and libertarians who oppose education, Education is important.

Depends - if you take a solid curriculum - something that can’t be easily made into brainwashing liberalism, yes, education is important. But not all education is in the classroom, either. I have a cousin who “bragged” that he didn’t have an education, and didn’t need one. But thinking it over, I’d say he had an excellent education. He had problems learning in school - some of us are convinced that he is/was dyslexic, and could never learn to read properly. But he’s been a good farmer, and a good businessman. I’m sure his wife helped him in the areas in which he had comprehension difficulties.