Could Israel become oil production leader?

THE JOKE has been told by generations of Jews, most famously Golda Meir, the former prime minister of Israel: ‘Why did Moses lead us to the one place in the Middle East without oil?’

But an updated version may be required if Harold Vinegar and his colleagues get their way. Dr Vinegar, the former chief scientist of Royal Dutch Shell, is at the centre of an ambitious project to turn Israel into one of the world’s leading oil producers.
Israel Energy Initiatives, where Dr Vinegar is chief scientist, is working on projects to extract oil and natural gas from oil shale from a 238sq km area of the Shfela Basin, to the south and west of Jerusalem.
Oil shale mining is often frowned upon, not least by the environmental lobby, as a dirty process that is both energy and water-intensive. IEI believes that its technique will be cleaner than that of other operators because the oil will be separated from the shale rock up to 300m beneath the ground. Water will be a by-product of the process rather than being consumed by it in large volumes.

Cookies must be enabled. | The AustralianThis brings two thoughts to mind.

I am sure the Muslims who hate Israel would love to have those oil reserves.

Those in this country would complain even more that Israel should be forsaken.

I googled “could israel become top oil producing country” and nothing came up besides stuff saying could America become top oil producing country. So I’m gonna assume that no, Israel is not going to become a top oil producing country.

Why Israel will rule the new Middle East

The sensationalism and bias of the article hurt my eyes.

Israel has oil? I thought their only oil production was back in the 70s when they were occupying Sinai? (some oil to be found under/around the Red Sea if I’m not mistaken)

I dunno, but I remember hearing about someone reading in the Bible that “Asher shall dip his foot in oil,” and they looked and found oil in the area that was designated as Asher’s inheritance.

I remember something about the foolish virgins wasting all their oil and begging the wise virgins for oil for their lamps so they could see the way to the wedding. It was a parable concerning the end times.