Court Defends Church's Freedom Against Fired Gay Employee

Court Defends Church’s Freedom Against Fired Gay Employee

In a victory for religious freedom, a federal judge ruled in favor of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago against a former employee, Colin Collette. Collette sued the church for discrimination last year after being fired as a result of announcing his same-sex “engagement” on Facebook in 2014.

“Colin Collette knew what the house rules of the Catholic Church were before he announced his ‘engagement’ to his boyfriend in 2014, so he should not have been surprised when the parish he worked for fired him,” Catholic League President Bill Donohue declared in a statement praising the ruling. When Collette was dismissed in 2014, then-Archbishop of Chicago Francis Cardinal George said the gay man was fired for his “participation in a form of union that cannot be recognized as a sacrament by the Church.”

Collette, who served as music director at Holy Family Catholic Community for 17 years …

On April 18, 2017, U.S. District Court Judge Thomas P. Kocoras ruled against Collette, dismissing the lawsuit and upholding the church’s religious freedom over hiring and firing. (The decision was announced last week.) Kocoras rooted the church’s freedom in the First Amendment, but he also cited the 2012 Supreme Court case Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church and School v. EEOC.

This lawsuit was so fundamentally wrong it should never have gone to trial, and from the fact that the judge dismissed the lawsuit, it may not have. If gay activists or an ACLU-type group are behind this lawsuit, it could go all the way to the USSC.

The article doesn’t mention this case as having been cited by Judge Kocoras, but it’s virtually identical to the Collette case.

Obviously the church is homophobic and must be stopped. The absurdity of many gays’ political beliefs is overshadowed only by their followers’ absurdity – Who is the more foolish, the fool or the one who follows the fool? Glad this judge ain’t one of them.

Easy to solve. Restore common courtesy and remove all special “Protected Class” of citizens in the US. Their SEX life is NONE of my business, do not make it my business. This is America, our Constitution opens with “We the People”! It does not say You the LGBT, Black, Brown, and etc, everybody except whites. Giving ANYONE or class of people special rights and priveldges over another is WRONG and only creates divisions in our society.

Sexual deviant groups [LGBT, etc.] would never, ever, do what you suggest. How dare, you promote allowing people to be free to mutually agree in their contracts and associations.

The fact is, our sexual deviant crowd masks its desire to compel those who do not want to associate with them as a “civil rights” issue when its ultimate aim is to impinge upon the inalienable right of people being free to mutually agree in their contracts and associations.

You are absolutely correct in promoting an end to all special Protected Classes.

I have no serious problems with the LGBT crowd–EXCEPT for their tendency to claim “rights” that simply don’t exist. Just for example, gays have ALWAYS enjoyed the IDENTICAL “right to marry” as anyone else. That they don’t WANT to exercise them because of their sexual deviancy is immaterial. Those “rights” have always existed for them in the precisely identical fashion as they’ve existed for anyone else–and with the identical restrictions. Any gay man or woman who wants to marry has ALWAYS been free to marry any competent adult of the opposite sex who is not a close relative who’ll consent to marry them…JUST like any hetero man or woman can. I also object to their demands to have access to our children as if they somehow have a “right” to talk to or interact with them regardless of parental wishes. This is the ONLY group of people who self-describe themselves based solely on what bodily orifice they chose to use for sexual release. I’ve worked and even socialized with people I believed to be “gay.” I have a beloved aunt who I’m virtually certain was at least “bi,” may she rest in peace. I prefer not to concern myself with ANYONE’S sexuality which SHOULD be a private issue==and KEPT private.

CONCUR…which why I support getting the govt out of the marriage business altogether. What right or by what ‘point’ in our Constitution creates a basis for a/the govt to dictate rules of marriage outside of freewill consenting adult.

Live YOUR life as a free and sovereign human being. Transgenders have the RIGHT to wake each morning and decide to be man or woman, a RIGHT that has been bestowed upon them by our GOVt and courts…WTH??? This is INSANE thinking.

In a discussion I had only a short while ago, I told that to a Tg and then I said, IF YOU want to wake up and be a man or woman, that is YOUR private choice and I fully support you in that PRIVATE choice…but here is a few words of advice and I STRONGLY suggest you take heed: DO NOT under any circumstances follow my 10 year old daughter or my wife into a bathroom, my support of your private choice just ended for you and I assure you it will be a day you will not soon forget.

Kinda like this:

I caught so much crap from, well, everybody for saying this a few years back.