Court-martialed for Being a Christian

The military’s highest court ruled yesterday that men and women serving in the U.S. Armed Forces can be punished for exercising their religion if judges deem the practice not religiously “important.” The ruling upholds the government’s criminal prosecution of a U.S. Marine for refusing to discard personal notes that had Bible verses on them. The case may now be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
In 2014, Marine Lance Corporal Monifa Sterling was ordered to remove from her workstation three pieces of paper with a paraphrase from the Book of Isaiah, “No weapon formed against me shall prosper,” even though co-workers were permitted to keep nonreligious messages on their desks. She declined and was court-martialed. A lower court upheld Sterling’s court martial, rejecting her argument that her faith was protected by the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Weasel Zippers | Scouring the bowels of the internet | Weasel Zippers

Recall the muslim that preached hate and killed several people at Fort Hood? He was allowed to express his views and it was judged work place violence.

On the basis of that it looks strange. But I’m here to tell you that no matter what you read about this story that wasn’t WHY she was court martialed. I put in 20 & that’s not how it’s done. They were looking to throw her out for “something” & that was the first “handy” charge that they could catch her with. My guess is that they also charged her with failure to follow a lawful order. Many times when the military goes after you they do so with a pile of charges that they throw on top of the first charge. I know one guy that got caught doing something illegal (he was guilty) & he ended up being charged with a total of 6 different things.
In the military’s defense it is a restricted lifestyle & it’s explained to you in fine detail starting from day one of your service. Military members do not have the same rights as normal every day citizens & mostly the public doesn’t “get” that they don’t. Back in the old days bouncing a check would pretty much end a career & just might get you into prison. So what it comes down to is if your going to argue with “the system” you better make sure that your right. This person wasn’t.

Saw that many times. So the CM did not ever address the the notes on her desk or her religion at all, just that she failed to follow a lawful order…