Cowboy-style cap gun gets 5-year-old suspended from school in Calvert County

Cowboy-style cap gun gets 5-year-old suspended from school in Calvert County
By Donna St. George

Published: May 30

A kindergartner who brought a cowboy-style cap gun onto his Calvert County school bus was suspended for 10 days after showing a friend the orange-tipped toy, which he had tucked inside his backpack on his way to school, according to his family and a lawyer.

The child was questioned for more than two hours before his mother was called, she said, adding that he uncharacteristically wet his pants during the episode. The boy is 5 — “all bugs and frogs and cowboys,” his mother said.

“I have no problem that he had a consequence to his behavior,” said the mother, who asked that her name be withheld to protect her son’s privacy.

“What I have a problem with is the severity,” she said, and the way it was handled.

The family’s attorney appealed the suspension late Thursday, asking that the action be reversed and the child’s record be expunged.

This is utter fruitcakery! Keeping the TOY gun in the office, with the requirement that he and a parent pick it up at the end of the day should have been the most extreme “consequence”! Schools seem to be so bent on using @#$% like this as aversion therapy that the only solution might be aversion counter-therapy by parents - an avalanche of lawsuits over stupidity like this! When school adminicrats feel parents’ heat maybe they’ll see some light!

When I was in 7th-8th grade I went through an army phase where I’d wear camo everywhere.One day I brought a hollowed out pineapple grenade that I bought at the local army surplus to school. A teacher saw me showing it off in the hallway. She took it away from me and that was that. If that had been today, the school would be placed on lock down, bomb squad called in and I’d be locked up for the rest of my life.

Naaaaah, just till you turned 18.