Cruz official apologizes over Rubio video alleging Bible diss

Cruz official apologizes over Rubio video alleging Bible diss | Fox News

A top campaign official for Texas Sen. Ted Cruz apologized Sunday after linking to a video that wrongly depicted Florida Sen. Marco Rubio as trash-talking the Bible.

Campaign spokesman Rick Tyler also told Fox News on Monday that the post was a “mistake.”

Tyler originally had linked to a story showing a video of Rubio walking by a Cruz staffer and Cruz’s father Rafael, who were reading the Bible in a hotel lobby. The original subtitles on the video showed Rubio saying to the staffer, “Got a good book there, not many answers in it.”

But after Tyler linked to the story, Rubio communications director Alex Conant tweeted out the same video with what he says are the correct subtitles – and they tell a very different story.

In them, Rubio actually says of the Bible, “All the answers are in there.”

Tyler told Fox News on Monday that the campaign made a mistake.
“I posted in haste, I should not have done it,” Tyler told Fox News’ Martha MacCallum. “It was a mistake and I would not knowingly post something I knew to be false.”

Is there any vetting process at Cruz headquarters at all? It’s pretty difficult to hit someone any lower than their own words against their own faith.

In defense of Rick Tyler, he said he took this from Daily Pennsylvania website and acknowledged that he knew it to be incorrect and clarified what Rubio had actually said. The problem with this and the other such ads and misrepresentations is that they are creating a particular pattern.

I assume most people are supportive of second chances, but one only has so many cheeks to turn…

Hand palm to one’s cheek w/an, “Oh! I’m so sorry! I hadn’t realized!” excuse IS getting a little old, isn’t it?
Apology after the fact? Again?

I wish I’d quoted you first time. This is getting more than old. Is there some new saying now, “POST in haste; repent at leisure?”

Yes there is a pattern, and the answer is one of two:
Either
A) the Cruz campaign does this purposely, (knowing the withdrawal will be on pg. 56, in bottom, right hand corner, OR

B) the Cruz campaign is so out of order and control that the left hand doesn’t know what the right is doing.

Either way, the question of good judgement on who to hire - or not - comes into play. That’s serious, whether people choose to accept it, or not.
I, for one, care.

Yep, "I love it when a plan comes apart."
This is why I back Trump. He may be a lot of things, and some of them unsavory. But, he owns what he says, and doesn’t walk it back. Cruz, Rubio and the like are Washington Insiders. They don’t realize they are seen as dishonest. They are coached to think the American voter is stupid, and they can do/say what ever they will, and no one can touch them. We see, now with the intro of Trump, they cannot anymore. And, Trump continues to shatter boundaries that are set up, predicting his demise.
In SC, he was facing three large demographics. Military, evangelical, and Bush Family supporters.
In spite of having previously dissed McLame, had words with the Pope, and called GWBush a liar, he won all 50 delegates. But, they still just do not get it. Amazing.
In the next 14 primaries, he is leading at least 10. A good Super Tuesday, and he’ll be hard to stop.

Just updated in News. Cruz has fired/forced a resignation of Mr. Tyler.

There are mistakes, such as dropping a carton of eggs when you are a cashier at the local grocery store, and then there are “mistakes” that attack someones core beliefs, slander them while in a federal election AND after the boss says he will clean up those bad employees in government.

Cruz really sucks at talking about other candidates. He’s gotten burned for it numerous times, with literally zero good hits. He’d be well advised to skip talking about other candidates - at all. He is not good at it. Trump has been effective at leveling body blows that knock his opponents back. Cruz has not demonstrated a skill to do this. The more he talks about other candidates, the worse he does.

He had a lot of potential to carry that Iowa momentum with him into other states and really be a contender. He’s now an underdog, and it’s going to be tough to claw his way to the top after a string of losses.

As I posted nearly 2 weeks ago, Cruz needed to nip this kind of BS in the bud the minute he learned of the Ben Carson “kneecapping” by his campaign staff in Iowa. Unfortunately, he did not take appropriate action and his campaign has since been painted with the dirty tricks label.

He has now held someone accountable - he fired his communication director. Unfortunately, Cruz is two weeks too late. In short, there is a price to pay when you choose not to immediately confront dishonesty.

2CENT - she NAILED it with her two points in the above post. At some point the BS is no longer just a mistake - it becomes a pattern. As she implies, at some point Cruz himself may be judged/held to account by the voters - after all, he is in charge of his own campaign; he hired and chose to retain these people.

I have a sinking feeling this race might be about to narrow down to Rubio and Trump.

What a freakin’ fiasco!!

Agreed. Cruz made a HUGE mistake in trying to copy what was working for Trump. The expression, “To thine own self be true,” isn’t famous because it isn’t rock solid advice.
I forget the name(s) of who his advisers are, but they’re giving him really sorry advice. Worse, he’s listening to it. One would think that Cruz would be smarter and of stronger character than to fall for trying to put on a charade. Did he really think the general public so dumb and shallow that we wouldn’t see right straight through him acting like a teenager who wants to look ‘cool’?

Nonsense, Tiny1. Trump “walks back” his mistakes all the time. He doesn’t apologize. He just says something diametrically opposite to his “mistake” the next time he speaks. Cruz’s campaign did NOTHING WRONG in the Carson incident. One of them saw a CNN story about Carson deciding to go home to Florida before the vote was even counted and (RIGHTLY) interpreted that to mean his campaign was cratering in Iowa, so passed that along to their workers to alert others to that and try to get Carson voters to switch to Cruz. There was no REASON for Cruz to “fire” anyone over that. His only “mistake” in that incident was apologizing for it! It wasn’t a “dirty trick” at all, though Carson, Trump and, most of all, the MEDIA portrayed it so. In the latest incident, Cruz took the APPROPRIATE action and fired the guy responsible immediately.

There WAS NO “KNEECAPPING” in the Carson incident. What Cruz’s campaign did was perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. His only “mistake” was apologizing for it.

Mike, it’s refreshing to see someone willing to admit “his guy’s” mistakes. It’s been no less frustrating out of Trump supporters than it is out of Cruz supporters that they refuse to do this. (And they gripe about the congresscritters not being honest?)
The first step in fixing a problem is to admit where you went wrong. Like you say, Cruz may well have started two weeks too late because now it looks like he did it more for show than out of sincere disappointment in an employee.

I haven’t lost all respect for Cruz. Far from it. However, I’m beginning to question his judgement in choosing a good cabinet when he can’t even choose good advisers on a campaign as important as this one.

Yep, I agree 2cent. Dirty tricks of one form or another are a fact of life in campaigns. To a large extent it’s what the one in charge does or doesn’t do about them that reveals character. At least Cruz has finally reacted by taking action. Unfortunately, I sense much damage has been done. Is it reversible? Maybe, but the way the 24/7 news cycle focuses like a laser on such stumbles and magnifies them, I think it more likely his campaign begins to weaken and eventually dies of a thousand cuts. Sad, but as I write this missive, that’s my assessment

More like a joke. The fact that we may be reduced to a vote for Cookie-Cutter Princess Rubio and I Carry a Big Stick/Mouth Trump is laughable. At first I was fine with Trump but he is now acting more and more like a Democrat.

[quote=“Pappadave, post:10, topic:48323”]
There WAS NO “KNEECAPPING” in the Carson incident. What Cruz’s campaign did was perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. His only “mistake” was apologizing for it.
[/quote]Pretty much. He shouldn’t have apologized, as his staff didn’t do anything wrong. And it made no difference. Once he apologized, he basically legitimized the claim. But the root was still talking about other candidates. Just like the Rubio Bible incident.

Not even close to being the same thing. In the first incident, a staffer quoted a news report and drew the logical conclusion and passed it along. In the second, the staffer FAKED a conversation between Rubio and Cruz’s father. The campaign’s response was proper in the first and seriously wrong in the second.

C’mon. Trump walks back his words often. It surprised me to hear people say he 'shoots from the hip w/o thinking before he speaks. Oh, bull. He very carefully chooses his words so as to give himself an ‘out’, knowing full well that the meat of what he said is what is going to get attention and repeated.
“I didn’t SAY ‘I could shoot people in the street.’ 'I said THEY say…”
“I didn’t question Cruz’s eligibility. I merely gave him advice.” etc.

Cruz, Rubio and the like are Washington Insiders. They don’t realize they are seen as dishonest. They are coached to think the American voter is stupid, and they can do/say what ever they will, and no one can touch them. We see, now with the intro of Trump, they cannot anymore. And, Trump continues to shatter boundaries that are set up, predicting his demise.

I never viewed Cruz as a “Washington insider,” and don’t know how anybody can, considering how not popular he is among the most of them. His only ‘friends’ that I’ve seen are Mike Lee and Sessions; two people for whom I have respect. “Show me your friends, and I’ll tell you what you are.”

In SC, he was facing three large demographics. Military, evangelical, and Bush Family supporters.
In spite of having previously dissed McLame, had words with the Pope, and called GWBush a liar, he won all 50 delegates. But, they still just do not get it. Amazing.

I wasn’t as surprised as others that he won in S.C. The folks who support the military can’t stand McQueery. Evangelicals would prefer to be preached to by their minister, not a politician. The GW Bush comments, though, I thought would hurt him. I know I wasn’t impressed.
However, you do realize it’s a “winner take all” state, right?

In the next 14 primaries, he is leading at least 10. A good Super Tuesday, and he’ll be hard to stop.

That much is true.

And yes, I know this race isn’t about Conservative vs. Liberal as much as it is about Conservative vs. The Machine - angry as can be at the RNC, and the desire to bring it to its knees.
But again, I’ve never viewed Cruz as part of that cabal, and still don’t.
As far as Goldman Sachs goes, I’d have to look up how much of that (whopping) $69,350 is an outright donation, how much is the personal loan he BORROWED to worry about how much influence GS will have on him as President. Either way, $69K is hardly what could be considered as influence pedaling.
And if my spouse worked for bank, I’d go to said bank, too. Wouldn’t you?

Cruz is CERTAINLY no political “insider.” Most of the political insiders hate his guts because he shows THEM for what they are–liars and wimps.

[quote=“Pappadave, post:15, topic:48323”]
Not even close to being the same thing. In the first incident, a staffer quoted a news report and drew the logical conclusion and passed it along. In the second, the staffer FAKED a conversation between Rubio and Cruz’s father. The campaign’s response was proper in the first and seriously wrong in the second.
[/quote]As far as I know, the staffer just sent something around that someone else made.

2cent

C’mon. Trump walks back his words often. It surprised me to hear people say he 'shoots from the hip w/o thinking before he speaks. Oh, bull. He very carefully chooses his words so as to give himself an ‘out’, knowing full well that the meat of what he said is what is going to get attention and repeated.
“I didn’t SAY ‘I could shoot people in the street.’ 'I said THEY say…”
“I didn’t question Cruz’s eligibility. I merely gave him advice.” etc.

Well, I guess my understanding of “walking back” is inaccurate, though I thought it meant to withdraw, not explain. He usually “doubles down”(I hope I didn’t misunderstand that term too)on what he said.
Oh, I believe he knows EXACTLY what he intends to say, but in the heat of the fight, he often goes “off the reservation”.

I never viewed Cruz as a “Washington insider,” and don’t know how anybody can, considering how not popular he is among the most of them. His only ‘friends’ that I’ve seen are Mike Lee and Sessions; two people for whom I have respect. “Show me your friends, and I’ll tell you what you are.”

Just because the other Insiders don’t like you, does not mean he isn’t also an Insider.
He clerked for two Republican judges. He practiced law in Washington for a firm connected to Republicans in Congress. He worked for George W. Bush’s Presidential Campaign, then had two jobs in Washington in the Bush administration. He was then appointed solicitor general of Texas by Rick Perry, who succeeded Bush as the state’s governor. And Cruz has been a U.S. senator since January 2013, when he isn’t on the campaign trail.

I wasn’t as surprised as others that he won in S.C. The folks who support the military can’t stand McQueery. Evangelicals would prefer to be preached to by their minister, not a politician. The GW Bush comments, though, I thought would hurt him. I know I wasn’t impressed.
However, you do realize it’s a “winner take all” state, right?

Uh, no. It is a hybrid system.
Whoever wins the SC primary wins 29 of the state’s 50 delegates. The 29 delegates come from the 13 (10 at-large and 3 for the party leadership) that every state gets, and 16 bonus delegates based on South Carolina’s loyalty to the Republican party.

After that, the remaining 21 delegates are awarded by Congressional districts — three delegates for each of the seven districts. The regional system means candidates are focusing in on specific areas of the state, hoping to win those delegates.
So, he had to win all seven districts, to win it all, which he did.

That much is true

And yes, I know this race isn’t about Conservative vs. Liberal as much as it is about Conservative vs. The Machine - angry as can be at the RNC, and the desire to bring it to its knees.
But again, I’ve never viewed Cruz as part of that cabal, and still don’t.
As far as Goldman Sachs goes, I’d have to look up how much of that (whopping) $69,350 is an outright donation, how much is the personal loan he BORROWED to worry about how much influence GS will have on him as President. Either way, $69K is hardly what could be considered as influence pedaling.
And if my spouse worked for bank, I’d go to said bank, too. Wouldn’t you?

Well, I see Cruz in a different light. While I would hold my nose and vote for him should he win the nomination, I see him as “more of the same”.
Yes, Cruz is disliked by the Establishment. But, I have to wonder if it is because of his behavior, or maybe his character. Or maybe he just isn’t a fellow who is easily liked.
Goldman Sachs was just a reference, and only one of a few banks, to illustrate that someone else will have say in his campaign. His largest donor is, in fact, a hedge fund CEO, Robert Mercer. Mercer has given more than 11 million to Cruz Super PACS. Four Cruz super PACS have solicited more than 38 million.
Facts remain, Cruz is beholding to his big money donors. If 69 grand isn’t enough to influence Mr. Cruz, my 27 bucks is a joke to him. See where I am going with this?
The biggest problem I see is Politicians being “owned” by money. We are being governed by well connected businessmen, incognito, so why not just bring it above board? Our Country has been sold to the highest bidders, and will continue, until someone comes in and changes that. It is time we power down the political class in this country. Corruption is rampant. Washington DC thinks we are all idiotic lemmings. We MUST take our country back. If we do not do this now, it will take a bloody revolution, later on.

Tiny: Okay, all well said, and done.
But how can we possibly take this country’s economy back with a return of the Smoot~Hawley Act?
Which is what, basically, Trump endorses.

And, btw, I honestly do believe that Cruz is disliked because he refuses to be a “get-along guy” with policies that are wrong for this country.