Death Toll in Seattle-Area Mall Shooting Rises to 5, Gunman at Large

Death Toll in Seattle-Area Mall Shooting Rises to 5, Gunman at Large
By DAVID CAPLAN
Sep 24, 2016, 6:36 AM ET

A gunman armed with a rifle remained at large Saturday morning after four women and a man were fatally shot Friday night at a shopping mall about 65 miles north of Seattle, Washington State Patrol said.

The victims were shot in the makeup department at Macy’s at Cascade Mall in Burlington, Washington, before 7 p.m. local time, police said.

Francis described the “one lone shooter” as a “Hispanic male wearing grey,” who was last seen walking toward Interstate 5. His motive is unknown.

A helicopter, search teams and K-9 units scoured the area around the mall for the suspect.

Sgt. Francis tweeted a photo of the suspect, writing “Here is the shooter. We believe just one shooter … Armed with rifle.”

The somewhat blurry pic is embedded just after where my quote ends. Looks like the local PD has tried to get fairly accurate info out early. The article I saw on PJMedia, a collection of social media posts from local media and police, mentions a witness who said the shooter called out one of the victims by name. Sounds like the motive, if that word is appropriate, was personal.

I’m familiar with the area, having fished/hunted extensively in the Skagit River valley. If he makes it to the Concrete, Sedro Wooly area he will be hard to capture, but by no means impossible. But, I have to tell you that is some of the most rugged terrain in North America.