Deck Staining

First off … That ain’t my deck and that ain’t my legs so whistle all ya’s want … it wont bother me!:firing:

I am getting ready to apply stain to a similar type of decking and wanted to know if there is an easy way of applying stain to about a hundred of the ‘spindles’?

For you deckless folks … that’s those individual pieces of wood (upright skinny ones) that you can see in the picture!

I don’t want to spray them … THAT was a disaster the last time I tried THAT stunt!:banghead:

That’s a nice deck. How long did it take you to construct it and what color do you plan to use for staining? Also, could you pm your leg routine to me?

Hire the neighbor kid

[quote=“sillipuddi, post:1, topic:40450”]
First off … That ain’t my deck and that ain’t my legs so whistle all ya’s want … it wont bother me!:firing:

I am getting ready to apply stain to a similar type of decking and wanted to know if there is an easy way of applying stain to about a hundred of the ‘spindles’?

For you deckless folks … that’s those individual pieces of wood (upright skinny ones) that you can see in the picture!

I don’t want to spray them … THAT was a disaster the last time I tried THAT stunt!:banghead:
[/quote]Lint free rags and rubber gloves. Pickets are tedious, but must be done. I use rags to put it on and then a relatively clean one to wipe it off. Some do not wipe it off, and just let it absorb it all. I’d spray them, but I have a professional Graco Sprayer made for shooting stain.

LOL

And I think I would’ve stained the wood before I put the deck together.
{Ducks & runs}

Tiny’s advice is best at this point, though. Tedious, but necessary.

And here I thought this thread was about Clinton and Lewinsky getting together again on a deck.

Paint mitt

[ATTACH]1929[/ATTACH]

This is late but here are a couple of thoughts for paint or staining of exterior wood.
Wood of all kinds expands and contracts with moisture and hot and cold
Wood absorbs moisture and will expand where the moisture is able to penetrate
My advice as an Architect is to paint , stain or otherwise finish wood on all sides and ends especially siding or deck boards, where you finish one side the moisture penetrates the back side and the siding or deck will begin to curl or warp, expanding on the moisture side as the finished side will remain inert. That painting glove sounds like a winner. usually my painters will set a pair of horses, place a 4x8 sheet of waste plywood and either brush paint or spray a side at a time. you can put a lot of wood on that 4x8 sheet. I do this with wood trim also, prefinish as much as you can and when in place touch up.

Watch Bob Vila. He will tell you how to do it. great show btw…

I sincerely do not have a whole lot of respect for Bob Vila, he is more publicity hound than craftsman. I used to do some advice with the DYI channel, but for each expert out there, there are 100 pseudo experts overriding you so I gave up.
I have been in the Construction business since the middle fifties,[ started at 12 with my dad] and an Architect intern from the early 60’s and a licensed Architect since the 80’s My expertise lay with construction and detailing .I’m one of the FEW Architects who can build what is drawn.

That’s pretty cool.