Deer meat not good enough for homeless in Louisiana

I wasn’t sure where to put this article. Maybe they should just serve beans… What an outrage to be sure!

Health Dept.: Homeless Can’t Eat Deer Meat | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

BS. Deer meat is great and delicious.

And I understand it is healthier than beef–less fat and cholesterol. I had deer meat once and didn’t know it until I was told after the meal. Some friends of mine in West Virginia invited me and my sister to come for a visit. They made the most delicious meal: Swiss steak (which I love anyway). It was tender, tasty, and I enjoyed every bite. Then, after I was finished, my friend’s wife told me that it was venison. I was really surprised because I would never try it before. Of course, she knew how to cook it properly. Her husband and his son used to go out regularly and hunt for deer and other meat. It keep them in meat for a year or more. I’d say that’s pretty smart! And pretty STUPID on the part of these idiots in Louisiana. What a terrible waste!!

It also helps if it doesn’t have the gamy taste. None that we ever got did, but we had a bunch given to us that did. Part of it may be the fault of the butchering and processing, though. My one cousin said it depends on what they eat; she said if they have good graze, it’s not gamy. I don’t know, though, how they would get that much good graze where we are - it’s mostly wooded around here, and none of the venison we took was gamy.

Around here, they put a stop to giving road-kill venison to the prisons. Yet, many people get and use road-kill thankfully. It has to be fresh, of course, but the people who pick it up know how to identify it.

Follks, we know that venison is plenty good down here. All this is, is our state board of health doing what they’ve done longer than I’ve been alive. Wild game cannot be served for public consumption. Period.

This law was put into place years ago to deal with the commercial hunting, and poaching that was wiping out our game. Places used to sell deer, quail, rabbit, squirrel, duck and so on, so much so that game became very rare. We almost hunted out alligators for the same thing. This law, along with robust wildlife management has restored Louisiana as one of best hunting and fishing states today.

So really, although the intention was feeding the homeless, they’d have been better off teaching them to hunt, fish or trap.
You can eat wild game all you like, you just can’t serve it to the public.

Oh… Thanks for the clarification. I guess that makes more sense. I still think it is a terrible waste of food, though.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:7, topic:38423”]
Oh… Thanks for the clarification. I guess that makes more sense. I still think it is a terrible waste of food, though.
[/quote] Sure, it’s a waste. Thing is though that most people, especially hunters and such, know about this. Also, forgot to mention this, there is no inspection process for wild game either. It’s quite common for animals in warm weather climates to carry a number of diseases, and parasites. Restauraunts and cafeterias, even bars can only serve product purchased through licensed distributers.

Anyhow, most of this came down in response to poaching, and over hunting, and over fishing. The health aspects came later, after science caught up…

Which is not applicable in this case. It isn’t commercial hunting, but donated by noncommercial interests. The law is simply putting an utterly unnecessary burden on society.

You speak of disease, but commercial herds get it, too (mad cow, anyone?). In some ways, the wild deer herds are less vulnerable than commercial cattle herds, because they’re fewer and farther between, and there’s less tendency for communicable diseases to be transmitted.

You also spoke of Louisiana law, but if such organizations for feeding the hungry had existed back in the day, I doubt that they would have made a fuss about it, because back then beggars couldn’t be choosers. Now many of the “poor” have smartphones and cable TV.

I strongly believe that this is bureaucracy run riot.

A couple of other notes on edit:

This place that was serving it is in no way funded by the state, and they’re not for profit, either.

And this quote from the linked article I feel sums up another facet of the real problem:

The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Even the State of Michigan gets this one. Michigan Sportsmen Against Hunger.

DNR - Michigan Sportsmen Against Hunger

Wow…interesting! Michigan is not known for its conservative policies, but at least this time they got something right. Also, wouldn’t the cooking process take care of the parasites and other microbes? My friend in WVa told me that venison has to be braised–cooked long and slow. Wouldn’t that also prevent some problems with possible microbes?

Very probably!

See! We’ve solved a number of worldly problems right here in our little forum! :dog:

Lots of hunters and lots of hungry people. Good teamwork!

You’ve heard of spirit of the law before? You grant exceptions for one thing and then you invalidate it.

Disease, yes. Our climate down here is different than yours. Take this, and post it into Google:
“Louisiana deer herd diseases” We’ve had some serious problems with the herd the last couple of years. Tuberculosis was spreading a couple of years back too, and we had to throw away a bunch of meat from that.

We have plenty of organizations that feed the hungry here. Catholic Charities funds several homeless shelters, and soup kitchens.

I’m not really concerned if people don’t like it. The law works, it does it’s purpose. On occasion something like this that sounds stupid happens. It’s not really as stupid as y’all are making it out to be though. You need to dig into the meat and rice and gravy a bit and look at why the laws are there.

How am I invalidating anything? The meat is not for commercial use in the mission anymore than it is with the private hunter. All too often, when you dig into laws, you find they were created for the interests of the lawyers… As to the charities, this action in one fell swoop upped their burden notably.

CT, venison needs proper handling, just like beef. Of course the animal’s diet will affect taste. So will proper field dressing, and aging. Yes, aging.
TO properly age venison, it must be hung, in carcass, at approx 38 degrees F, for seven or eight days. This tenderizes the meat, and improves the taste.
Not all venison must be braised. Fallacy. Sometimes overcooking can cause taste problems. Definitely causes texture problems. Steaks etc. can be grilled, fast and delicious. Curing or marinating can help, also.

Are they members of the public being served food for consumption?

The HUNTERS are members of the public; are their families also forbidden to be served venison?

Completely different. You can’t walk into their house and expect to be served. If they put up a Free Food stand in their front yard, they’d be subject to this.