Delicious Desserts

2½ cups sugar
1 cup water
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

Combine ingredients. Heat to the boiling point, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Continue boiling, brushing sirup from sides of pan until the temperature reaches 238o F. or until a small amount of sirup dropped into cold water will form a soft ball. Remove to shallow dish. When lukewarm, stir until white and creamy. Add any desired flavor.

If you are using this for icing, warm slightly over water when ready to use.

Uses: My mother used to use this to stuff dates at Christmas time. Actually, she made them well in advance of Christmas. Supposedly fondant is better if it is allowed to “cure.”

I have used various flavors and added colors, and have shaped it into patties. I have flavored it with peppermint (no coloring) and dipped the patties in chocolate. Peppermint patties - very good!

http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

½ stick magarine
12 oz. chocolate chips
1 bag small colored marshmallows
1 cup nuts (chopped, but not finely)

Heat margarine until melted. Turn off heat. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Add marshmallows and nuts and stir until coated with mixture. Roll in waxed paper and refrigerate overnight or 2 hours in freezer. Slice.

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup sugar
4 tbs. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup coconut
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 tsp. cream of tarter
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar

Soften gelatin in water; set aside. Mix together in saucepan, 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly till boiling. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in gelatin till dissolved. Cool. When mixture is partially set, beat until smooth. Blend in vanilla and coconut. Gently fold in whipped cream. Carefully fold into meringue.
Meringue: Beat egg whites and cream of tarter until frothy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Continue beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Top pie with toasted coconut.

2 egg whites
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp. vinegar
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon x2
9-10" pie shell

Beat together egg whites, vinegar, cinnamon and salt until stiff, but not dry. Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar and beat until very stiff. Spread meringue over bottom and sides of baked pie shell and bake in 325 oven 15-18 minutes. Let cool. Melt chocolate chips in double boiler over hot, not boiling water. Blend in egg yolks and water and stir until smooth. Spread 3 tbs. of this mixture over meringue (bottom only), then chill. The remainder of it set aside until it begins to thicken. Beat together whipping cream, 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon until thick. Spread half of it over chocolate layer in pie. Fold chilled chocolate mixture into remaining whipped cream. Spread over whipped cream in pie shell and chill at least 4 hours.

Don’t be put off by the sour cream. This pie is delicious!

1 cup sugar
4 tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup raisins
3 eggs (beaten)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 pint whipping cream

Cook raisins in a little water, drain; set aside. In double boiler cook sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk. When mixture is thick (I usually try to get it to the point where the spoon will stand up by itself) add vanilla, raisins and eggs. Remove from heat, add sour cream and pour into pre-baked pie shell. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream. Be sure the first part is thick as the sour cream will thin it down

Oh Yeah! :yes:

(just testing)

4 cups milk
2/3 cup Karo syrup, red label
2 tablespoons corn starch
2/3 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream, whipped
4 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla

Scald 3 ½ milk with Karo in top of double boiler over boiling water. Blend corn starch with remaining ½ cup milk, mix in sugar and salt. Add quickly, all at once, to scalded milk and stir until slightly thickened. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes longer. Beat add yolks, add hot milk mixture. Return to double boiler and cook 2 minutes longer. Chill. Fold in cream and stiffly beaten egg whites. Add vanilla. Pour into freezing tray of automatic refrigerator. When partially frozen, turn mixture into chilled bowl; beat with rotary beater until fluffy. Return to refrigerator and finish freezing.

Note: This can also be done in an automatic (or old fashioned crank) ice cream freezer.

Note 2: By the wording of this recipe you can tell it is old. Originally came off the Argo corn starch box.

Hmm. Lost my edit on this:
We used to make this ice cream when I was a kid. We had no refrigerator, so we had to make it in the winter time with chunks of ice from the frozen creek. We put the ice in a big old aluminum dish pan, and set the double boiler top in it, and twisted it back and forth by the “ears.”

http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2003/12/11/sh1a10_boston_cream_cupcakes_e.jpg

**Boston Creme Cupcakes **Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
User Rating:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/icons/4_stars.gif

1 1/4 cups cold whole milk
1 (3.4-ounce) box vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
12 pre-made cupcakes baked from a cake mix
1 cup heavy cream
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted

Combine milk, instant pudding mix, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Beat mixture with a hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until it thickens. Place mixture in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a medium-size plain tip. Fill cupcakes with vanilla pudding filling by inserting tip into top of cupcake and squeezing a couple of tablespoons of filling into each cupcake.

Heat cream in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat until bubbles appear around the edges. Remove from heat, add chocolate morsels to pan, and whisk until smooth. Spoon or drizzle glaze over cupcakes, or dunk the tops into the glaze. Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour, before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Episode#: SH1A10
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

http://images.scrippsweb.com/FOOD/2003/12/11/sh1a10_chocolate_thumbprint_cookies_e.jpg

Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Desserts, Miramax Books, 2003.
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 48 cookies
User Rating:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/icons/4_stars.gif

1 cup very finely ground almonds
1 (16-ounce) container dark chocolate frosting
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
48 chocolate kiss candies

Pulse almonds in a food processor until very finely ground, like coarse sand. Pour ground almonds into a pie pan or other shallow bowl and set aside. Beat chocolate frosting and butter in large bowl with a hand mixer until well blended. Stir in graham cracker crumbs and almond extract. Shape chocolate mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in almonds to coat. Place balls on a cookie sheet. Using your finger, make a deep indentation in the center of each ball. Fill the indentations with chocolate kiss candies. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until cold.

Episode#: SH1A10
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

:cry: you’re making me cry. I will have to check out this thread in a couple months, after I finish loosing this weight. 20 pounds to go. Then I will make a couple of these yummy sounding desserts, and enjoy it guilt free…for one weekend…then loose those five pounds that I will gain that weekend.

My mom and I will keep taking this dish to pot lucks until there is some left over… it always gets every bite eaten… Eclair cake…line pan with graham crackers, top with coolwhip mixed with instant pudding (any flavor), another layer of graham crackers and then top with ready made icing. We are prone to vanilla pudding and chocolate icing… its better after it sits for a bit covered in refridge.

Sounds sooooo delicious and easy to make!!!

Inept Apple Pie

[LEFT]Start with getting a wild hair in your nether-parts. Set aside approximately 40 words of profanity. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Peel and core small apples until hell freezes over. Slice and place in non-metal pie plate (not the one that you’ll be making the pie in). Note that you peeled and cored more apples than you needed. Expend one word of profanity. Add three-fourths cup sugar, ignoring the recipe’s call for two thirds cup, because the apples are too tart. Fail to read the part that says ‘mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice’ prior to adding to the apples. Then expend several words of profanity. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on as an afterthought. Plan on mixing it in later. Ask Mom how the hell much cornstarch to use, because the recipe doesn’t call for any. Sprinkle on using the TLAR method (That Looks About Right). Microwave for several minutes to cook the apples down. Mix thoroughly. Set aside. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Start making crust by dumping two cups of flour, two-thirds cup shortening, and three-fourths teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl. Ignore the requirements in the cookbook to mix flour and salt together first and sift, and don’t bother to use a measuring spoon for the salt. Instead, use an ordinary table shaker and add salt according to the TLAR method. Mix thoroughly with pastry cutter. Forget to add water, remove half of crust dough from bowl and place on floured rolling board. Then remember that you forgot the water, expend several words of profanity, place dough back in bowl, add water, mix with pastry cutter, realize that you added too much, and expend several more words of profanity. Reflour rolling board, flour rolling pin, take half the dough, place on board, and roll out for bottom crust. Peel the crust off the board, note how it sticks and tears, and expend more profanity. Place in new pie pan. Note how it doesn’t cover the whole pan in places, and patch it up, expending profanity as you go (don’t use use up your choice stuff; you’ll need that later).[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Dump in the semi-cooked apple filling. Reflour rolling board and pin. Take remainder of doh- sorry, dough- and roll it out for the top crust much the same as the bottom, except that it requires slightly less profanity. Lay on top of pie. Then remember that you should have applied water to the rim of the crust to bind the top with the bottom, and expend more profanity; two words should be sufficient. If not, add one more word. Do more patchwork to make top crust cover top of pie, using two more words of profanity. Trim off excess crust. Cut vent holes in middle of top crust (the bottom is too difficult to get at by now). Place in medium oven for one hour. When filling boils out off your patchwork seams instead of the vents, expend additional profanity. Then remember that you forgot to mix in the lemon juice. State in a clear voice: “Ah, to hell with it.”[/LEFT]

[LEFT]As the pie finishes baking, wonder why the hell you went to all this damned trouble when you could have just broken out a jar of Mom’s homemade home-canned apple pie filling, and the store-bought pie crust that you knew was sitting in the refrigerator. Expend the remainder of your profanity. If it is inadequate, add to the recipe as required. Then wait until tomorrow for the pie to cool enough to find out if the damn thing is even edible.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]This “recipe” is embellished somewhat, but it’s generally the truth of what I did today. [/LEFT]

I can vouch for it’s edibility! And I’m responsible for some of the goofs! :embarrese

Required ingredients
1 bar of cream cheese
1 package of oreos
1 package of almond bark.

Start by slowly adding the oreos in a food processor with the cream cheese.
Once that mixture is blended together you should get a consistancy of playdoh. Next you should roll one inch balls out of the recipe.

Once you have made the desired number of balls, the next step will be to melt the almond bark in a saucepan, be careful not to burn the bark!

Dip the cream cheese oreo balls in the almond bark and then set them on parchment paper and refrigerate.

The end result is pure deliciousness

NOTE: Even though this recipe calls for cream cheese you really do not taste it in the end. Just a delcious inside-out oreo.

Sounds good! And where have you been keeping yourself? Long time, no see!

always busy busy busy in good old flip-flop mass. Currently I’m trying to finish my associates degree in criminal justice, start up my own business, applying for a couple police departments, and working so much. Then, my wife is currently enrolled in nursing school, and working for the state, its tough right now but it will all pay off in the long run (at least thats what they tell me) :grin:

I heard Jay got into the sherriffs department of corrections. kudos !
Everyone that I know in corrections, around here, says its very tough, they are inmates for 8 hours a day.

You did see some of the jokes made about Jay being in the dept of corrections, didn’t you?

One of my brothers is a retired US Marshall. He was a prison guard at the Federal Pen. in Milan, MI.

yes i did. thats too funny “penn state ; state pen”

Im finishing up getting my Recovery license.
Thats a refined way of saying Bounty Hunter.