Delicious Desserts

Ya think Jay’s on the run, huh?

No, just adding my accomplishments to the pile.

I think this better be continued in the Cigar Lounge.

Since it’s fall and apple season, I thought I would share my favorite apple crisp recipe. This makes an 8 x 8 pan, but I always double it, and I use enough apples to almost fill the pan. I also like to sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon over the fruit before adding the topping.

Apple Crisp

4 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal (either whole oats or quick oats is fine)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg (you can substitute 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice if you like)
1/3 cup softened butter (if you double this, it’s 1 stick + 3 Tbsp)

Place fruit in buttered 8 x 8 pan. mix remaining ingredients and sprinkle over fruit.

Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes

It’s really good served warm with Cinnamon or Vanilla ice cream.

awww…thanx for this recipe, susanna. my grandpa used to make this ice cream when i was a kid…it was very yummy!!! he didn’t have a double boiler, so how else to do that step???

I don’t think we always had a double boiler, so we may have improvised. I know I have done myself, by setting a smaller pan in a larger pan and faking a double boiler. But I do remember the double boiler with the “ears” as I mentioned in the recipe.

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup molasses
3 eggs
1 Tbs soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
5 to 8 cups flour

Beat shortening and sugar together until smooth and creamy. Beat eggs and mix well with molasses and buttermilk and add to sugar and shortening mixture. Mix soda and spices together and add to the mixture. In a large bowl, mix above mixture alternately with flour until a good cookie dough consistency is reached. Chill 3 hours or overnight. Roll out and cut cookies. Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes.

*Substitute for buttermilk – milk + 1¾ tsp cream of tartar

thanks. I can’t wait to try that Sus.

I have to have things spelled out. When I cook I have to follow the letter of the law. By soda do you mean Baking soda?
Just asking. I am a bit strange and afraid of cooking…I am getting better but I am a little on the OCD side with this stuff.

Yep, that’s the leavening agent.

Edit: The biggest problem with this recipe is that the flour is a range, rather than a set amount. I think I used 5 1/2 cups with my last batch, and the dough wasn’t stiff enough. As a result, I had trouble with it sticking when I rolled it out - but it made really nice soft cookies! Also, I had relatively thin molasses.

Perhaps I had better make note that the surface you roll the dough out on has to be floured, and get a little flour on your rolling pin, too. I have an old fashioned “bread board” that I found in an attic of a place I lived. Got the landlady’s permission to keep it. My mother had one just like it. It has a special surface that helps to cut down on the sticking. You can also buy plastic sheets that can be used as rolling surfaces. Of course, they still need to be floured.

Flour the surface and rolling pin. noted.

New note to self: Buy a rolling pin.

hahah JK. I do need to go hunt my rolling pin down from my neighbor though.

It takes a long time for me but eventually I get to a point with a certain fave recipe where I feel comfortable to make my own modifications. So, this one lets me start off with modifying to my preference.

Gluten free lava cakes.
Sudden Impact, try this out.

10 oz semi or bittersweet chocolate (preferably 70-90 % cocoa)
3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp butter
8 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup tapioca flour[SIZE=1]
[SIZE=3]2 tablespoons sorghum flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8 ramekins and dust with cocoa powder.
Break the chocolate into small piece and melt it with 3/4 cup butter over hot water.
Beat the eggs with sugar till thick and frothy and mix with flours.
Slowly fold in the melted butter and chocolate.
Bake at 350 degrees for only 8 - 10 minutes; the outer part should be cooked and the inner part liquid.
Turn out gently onto prepared dessert plate.

I hope that, if you try this,it comes out good.

Ok I am officially sugared out

what exactly is a fondant?

Fondant is a stiff but pliable sugar rolled icing cover for cakes made in a variety of ways but difficult to make by oneself. It can be bought where cake supplies are sold. Almost all wedding cakes are covered with the stuff.

a stiff icing that you can cut and place. right?

Aww, thank you, Tiny! <3 I’ll have to find an occasion to use this…maybe New Year’s… =)

In my humble opinion, Sunrise, or Sunset for that matter, are great excuses to eat chocolate. My wife likes to make “Death By Chocolate” sundaes. You take one of my lava cakes, top it with a scoop of Dutch chocolate ice cream, use chocolate Ready Whip whipped cream, and sprinkle with chocolate beads, or sprinkles.
Talk about a sugar rush.:banana:

I never found it difficult - in fact, one of the easiest to make “candies.” My mother used to stuff dates with it. I used to - occasionally - flavor it with peppermint, press it into patties and dip it in melted chocolate. I never used it as an icing, and I don’t think my mother did, either. Just make sure you have a good candy thermometer.

If that didn’t kill me, my doctor would. ^^