Derailment proof that we need to improve our infrastructure?

Donald Trump:

The train accident that just occurred in DuPont, WA shows more than ever why our soon to be submitted infrastructure plan must be approved quickly. Seven trillion dollars spent in the Middle East while our roads, bridges, tunnels, railways (and more) crumble! Not for long!

Since this was a new section of rail, it has exactly nothing to do with crumbling infrastructure. This track was built with $181 million in federal funds to separate passenger trains from freight trains on a very short section of rails and save 10 minutes on the Portland-Seattle run. That’s a lot of money to save 10 minutes, and the older Nisqually route is better scenery anyway. If this is an example of the kinds of projects the president has in mind, well, maybe it’s time to drain the swamp.

I agree with the president’s second point at least about the amount of money we’ve squandered in the Middle East.

There’s also the matter that the train was going 167% faster than the speed limit, which also has nothing to do with infrastructure.

To the left it matters. They’ll claim that the Trump administration SHOULD have constructed that portion of track to ACCOUNT for stupid train engineers.

Wait a minute, are railroads considered a federal responsibility?

I have no idea on this subject, so I have to ask.

“In the United States, the railroad companies themselves own the railroad tracks. Land grants by the federal government to the railroads in the 1800s allowed the railroads to own the tracks. Furthermore, U.S. freight railroad companies are privately owned and operated, with no government subsidies. While railroads own some of the thousands of freight cars used, car companies and other shippers actually own most of them.”

So based on his statement, it seems to me that Trump feels that the Govt should in fact be involved in what is considered pretty much a private matter as far as railroad tracks are concerned.

Actually, Amtrak gets about $1 BILLION annually in government “subsidies.” Otherwise, they’d be a losing proposition. It should be noted that they ARE a losing proposition…to taxpayers, most of whom never USE the system.

Amtrak is private for-profit but it’s subsidized. And the track was a federal project, part of Obama’s infrastructure stimulus package. Apparently, it had no local or state funding involved either.

To save 10 minutes on the Seattle-Portland run.

Thanksgiving was my first time using Amtrak – on the route this one replaced on the 506 and 507 not the 501, which crashed. I enjoyed it, but I would prefer to have driven. The whole trip took longer overall, and I couldn’t stop at Arby’s in Centralia along the way. That made me really sad LOL Train food is not good and way overpriced.

We do need infrastructure improvements. We’re falling behind the rest of the developed world.

LOL and this is exactly the sort of failed infrastructure we must fix! Save lives! Proof positive!

Can we just smoke a bowl and have an organic raw water instead?