Detroit: Enter at Your Own Risk

Since our President rescued the car industry, how come Motor City is doing so bad?

Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors « CBS Detroit

First, he didn’t rescue anything, he bought a little time. Second, the auto industry has vacated Detroit for non-union grounds, both in the south and over borders in Mexico and Canada.

Oh, hogwash. Detroit is resisting control by a state-appointed manager, and none so viscerally as the public employee unions who face cuts in wages, benefits, and pensions. Those public service departments are as rife with corruption as have been the city government supposedly overseeing them.

Detroit is no more or less safe than it has been for decades. What it is, today, is mostly empty. You can drive around and see nary a person. I stopped keeping track of housing prices within the city when they dropped, on average, below $15,000. Fiscal debates within city government consist of which streets will have utility services terminated; the city cannot afford to light the streets. The only remarkable thing is that city leaders persist in thinking that the state should bail them out, while allowing those leaders to maintain their autonomy in disbursing such funds.

njc17 is correct, the auto industry has long since vacated the shake-down grounds of Detroit proper. It is a tragedy because, as far as infrastructure goes, it’s a huge region just begging for a few automobile manufacturing plants.

That Detroit is the punchline for a lot of jokes shouldn’t obscure the fact that many American cities resemble it more than they’d like to admit, if not in size or scope. One that does, though only whispered about, is Chicago where the lights remain on only through the foolishness of the state government, long dominated by Chicago machine pols, putting the entire state’s finances at risk. The difference between Detroit and Chicago is that Michiganders long-ago, echoing the apocryphal words of President Gerald Ford, himself a Michigander, to NYC’s bankruptcy of the seventies; “Drop Dead!”. Thus, Michigan remains solvent, while Illinois is in a fiscal death spiral.

Sway, that was very well said. You won’t believe the shlacking I got for making this statement elsewhere:

But…but…but…What about those bailouts?! I thought they supposed to save Detroit. I was wrong? Say it ain’t so!

Between (then) Mayor Kwami Kilpartric and Gov. Granholm, I think the two made a pact to destroy Detriot and the state of MI as fast as they possibly could. It was their horrible policies that caused the major exodus - [whites - blacks about 8 - 2. Call me racist is you like. Them’s the facts] - starting around 10 years ago, and really ramping up over the last 6-7 to the point where the only people left were the ones who couldn’t afford to leave.
So now, due to the lost revenue, they’ve had to shut off half the city’s lights, for crying out loud. And they think somebody’s gonna come up with $$$ for more cops? Where? In one of those falling down tenemants they refused to police when they could?

It breaks my heart to see that once beautiful and thriving city fall to utter ruination. It makes me angry that our federal government forced you and me to donate to a lost cause that they created.

I’ll just leave it at that.

The City of Detroit is filled up with whiny people with their hands out.

Michael Moore never lived a day in Flint Michigan.

Detroit’s airport is nice though.

But it’s not in Detroit proper; it’s in Romulus.

Yes, Detroit Metro, (aka, Detroit Metropolitan Wayne Co. Airport) is in Romulus. (I beg to differ on it being 'nice.)
Coleman A. Young International Airport, however, is in the city of Detroit.

And while it may be true that Detroit is no more or less safe than it was 10 years ago, that ain’t sayin’ much. If one were to say between ten and twenty years ago, then you would be.

I went job-hunting in Detroit many years ago - actually, in Wayne. My brother lives in Romulus, so I left my kids with his family while I went for the interview. But that was in '76 or '77, so it probably wasn’t quite as bad then. I think I stayed overnight with my other brother, who lives in Milan.

One thing about Detroit; they know how to drive. Commuter traffic regularly moves at 80 mph. Don’t get in the left lane unless you mean it.

If I were rich, I’d buy up all that vacant land and make something out of it.