DHS ammo buys, say agency using 1,000 more rounds per person than Army

Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz said Thursday that the Department of Homeland Security is using roughly 1,000 rounds of ammunition more per person than the U.S. Army, as he and other lawmakers sharply questioned DHS officials on their “massive” bullet buys.
“It is entirely … inexplicable why the Department of Homeland Security needs so much ammunition,” Chaffetz, R-Utah, said at a hearing.

Read more: [Reps challenge DHS ammo buys, say agency using 1,000 more rounds per person than Army | Fox News](http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/25/reps-challenge-dhs-ammo-buys-say-agency-using-1000-more-rounds-per-person-than/#ixzz2RWi0Ea5v<br /><br />M)

Maybe I am worrying to much but why the amount? Under Obama we have seen privacy stripped from citizens and a promise not to use drones but that is rapidly being worked on so that people will be under surveillance. Homeland Security has asked to be able to monitor all modes of travel.

But hey do not worry stick your head in the sand and let this happen.

Being from a very corrupt country, if I were to jump to a conclusion, it would be that there’s a deal between ammo suppliers and some high ranking people in the DHS, and those at the top on both sides are making some money. Seems more likely than the idea that the government would have to stockpile bullets for some case way down the road when they would have to use serious force to suppress the population. Ammunition supply isn’t going to be a problem for the government that contributes 40% global defense spending.

Heres an article I saw recently

But isn’t a total which might approach 90 or 100 million rounds per year excessive?

DHS is a massive umbrella agency, with over 100,000 armed law enforcement personnel according to a DHS spokesperson. If we divide 90 million by 100,000, that means each agent gets 900 rounds per year to shoot. That isn’t a whole lot, considering that civilians going through handgun training courses sometimes shoot twice as many rounds – in a single weekend.

Homeland Security’s Ammunition Purchases Should Not Worry You | Military Times GearScout

I think its odd that the millitary uses so few rounds, training and qualification can eat up rounds quickly

The agents have to qualify with hallowpoint rounds?

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:3, topic:39219”]
Heres an article I saw recently

Homeland Security’s Ammunition Purchases Should Not Worry You | Military Times GearScout

I think its odd that the millitary uses so few rounds, training and qualification can eat up rounds quickly
[/quote]Let’s not forget not all Homeland employees are field agents and they sit behind a desk. So it is inaccurate to divide the total numbers of employees against purchases since not all will be involved.

Although the numbers raise my eyebrows, handgun ammo doesn’t worry me that much (not to say that I have no concern); it would be very difficult to oppress an armed society with handguns. If they start buying up huge quantities of .223 Remington (5.56mm NATO) or through some chicanery start transferring large lots of it from the military, that’s when I’m really going to sit up and take notice.

hollowpoints are standard for most law enforcement

They arent, the total number of DHS employees is 240,000. The Fox article says 70,000 using a gun and the military times says 100,000 so I think they are on the same page

For qualification? The article said each agent would average only 900 rounds per year to SHOOT. Now, giving them the benefit of the doubt, I assume this means to shoot targets for practice and qualification. Why would they need hallowpoint rounds to qualify with, even if this is what they carry on duty? I know plenty of law enforcement people personally who carry hallowpoint ammo, but qualify with ball ammo. Sam also has a good point. This may average out to 900 per agent per year, but I wonder how many sit behind desks.

Since the DHS is only buying hollowpoint ammo I would assume they are using that for training and qualification as well

Sam also has a good point. This may average out to 900 per agent per year, but I wonder how many sit behind desks.

From my previous post

The total number of DHS employees is 240,000. The Fox article says 70,000 using a gun and the military times says 100,000 so I think they are on the same page