A great read, very to the point.

The irreconcilable dividing lines.

January 17, 2017
Dennis Prager

Source of Human Rights
Left: government
Right: the Creator

Human Nature
Left: basically good (Therefore, society is primarily responsible for evil.)

Right: not basically good (Therefore, the individual is primarily responsible for evil.)

Economic Goal
Left: equality
Right: prosperity

Primary Role of the State
Left: increase and protect equality
Right: increase and protect liberty

Left: as large as possible
Right: as small as possible

Family Ideal

Left: any loving unit of people
Right: a married father and mother, and children

Guiding Trinity
Left: race, gender and class

Right: liberty, In God We Trust and e pluribus unum

Good and Evil
Left: relative to individual and/or society
Right: based on universal absolutes

A Guide to Basic Differences Between Left and Right | Frontpage Mag

In how many points do you agree (right-side)?

I would not contribute all* conservative positions but about ~85%

Give me some specifics on that 15%…

I see it in a very simple dichotomy:

Left: COLLECTIVISM which when taken to the limits becomes totalitarianism.

Right: INDIVIDUALISM which when taken to the limits becomes anarchy.

Most sane people want something in between.

Disagree: The Right has clear authoritarian streaks that have nothing to do with what the left wants, or want no more than people on the right.

A runaway internal security apparatus that creates our own Big brother. Continuing to feed the Military Industrial complex. Fascination with other large State projects like building dams, or railroads.

To me, political compass basically has it right:

YOU have it correct! And ANYONE who has bothered to open a history book would know that, but then you would need to be smarter than a mud fence…

OK, the extremes of my simple breakdown would be the upper right hand corner and lower left hand corner of your diagram. The other two corners are confused, conflicted people:

The extreme “libertarian left” doesn’t realize that there is no freedom without economic freedom. lower left corner.

The extreme “authoritarian right” does not respect individual privacy and lifestyle choices. upper right corner.

They are both, in a sense, collective over individual and their extremes are both want total control over different aspects of my life. The upper left corner wants control over EVERYTHING and the lower right corner wants control over NOTHING.

Where do you live on that map?

Good question. I could blow it off and say read my political views survey but I’ll give it a try.

I my views are libertarian but they end at the border. I take the Bill of Rights seriously, all ten of them. In an ideal world I would repeal the 16th and 17th amendments; the individual states can raise their share as they please. Taxation, abortion, health care, welfare, education, marriage, drugs are state issues. 50 experiments in democracy. Vote at the ballot box or with your feet. Immigration and tariffs are strictly federal issues. “Free enterprise zone” ends at the border. I do not subscribe to the “live and let live” philosophy towards foreign policy advocated by many libertarians. If the United States is not the sole dominant superpower in the world then someone else will be and you might not like the result. I am not talking about nation building or needless American boots on the ground with absurd rules of engagement but protection of American interests abroad and a proactive, aggressive stance against expansionist regimes that present an immediate or future threat to the United States and our allies with treaty commitments.

If you can throw a dart at that chart and tell me where I live…go for it.

But then I took another test:

I think ontheissues also has an interesting point; where would you put “populists” on a chart like this? For them, it’s on the bottom:

These quizzes are mostly BS. I can’t even take the Political Compass one as it will not allow you to skip a question and some are unanswerable. For example:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

It is hypothetical. I’m OK with hypotheticals if they are not absurd. Economic globalisation is certainly possible. Who should it serve? This presupposes that there is a choice to be made. If there is a choice, the question pre-supposes a controlling entity; not a free market in any sense of the word. What do they mean by “humanity”? Some progressive/collectivist notion of the sans culottes versus the aristocrats? What do they mean by “serve”? Benefit? Give preference to by law?

There are at least half a dozen questions in their poll that I cannot honestly answer.

The the advocates quiz puts me smack dab in the center of the libertarian polygon. At least they don’t have loaded questions.

The ontheissues quiz puts me in the exact same spot as AlaskaSlim :wave: and we tend to disagree a lot.

Go figure.

Try this, its only a few questions, takes about a min or so and it nailed me: https://www.theadvocates.org/quiz/quiz.php#

This put me just inside the “Libertarian” quadrant from the conservative so I suppose it’s pretty close. There are things about libertarianism that I strongly disagree with, though. For example, their isolationism is stupid–especially when you can get to the other side of the world in about 20 HOURS.

This is me dead on

This is me on the money I think

Oh, I don’t disagree. The ambiguity of “corporate interests” left me scratching my head, and I couldn’t give a clear answer to death penalty because there’s no parsing of crimes from war crimes.

Political compass is also biased quite a bit by European conventions, as you can see with where Mr. Obama is placed:

Contrast this to ontheissues:

So it’s not the quizzes themselves I value, mostly just the visualization of the political landscape.

I would agree with the most (resp. all) points you displayed, but on the source website you noted are more points. In some points I would neither agree with the left position nor the right. In few points a would agree with the liberal side especially regarding god- and war-issues.

Source of Human Rights
Left: government
Right: the Creator
I would say: basic principles like a human right to freedom and self-determination

Most Important Trait to Cultivate in a Child
Left: self-esteem
Right: self-control
I would say: self-esteem, self-responsibility and autonomy (in this order)

International Ideal
Left: world governed by the United Nations, and no single country is dominant
Right: world in which America is the single strongest entity
I would say: No single country is dominant. But not: “world governed by UN”.

Left: not the answer
Right: sometimes the only answer
I would say: Never the answer excepted defense

Left: intrinsically valuable
Right: made for man
**I agree with the left side.

**source: A Guide to Basic Differences Between Left and Right | Frontpage Mag

Some of the biggest war hawks are often Democrats.

American Exceptionalism

Left: chauvinistic doctrine

Right: historical reality

I would parrot Tocqueville’s observation of us, not how the 1920s communists nor conservatives in the 1980s re-coined the term.

Primary Reason for Lack of Peace in Middle East

Left: Israeli settlements in the West Bank

Right: Palestinian, Arab and Muslim denial of Jewish state’s right to exist

As Shirvan, himself an Azeri muslim points out, even without Israel there would likely be no independent Palestinian state. Nor a peace between Arab powers.

Greatest Playwright

Left: entirely subjective; there is no greatest playwright

Right: Shakespeare

Sophocles Did far more to represent the dignity of the individual.

Left: all equal

Right: some are better than others

Tradeoffs. Some of those are more functional than others.

If you think “war isn’t the answer” maybe you should ask the Japanese and Germans whether or not is was the answer just a few years ago and then ask the British if the Revolutionary War wasn’t the answer for the U.S.