DIY nightmare

I was talked into repairing a chain link fence from someone who said they used to do that. Well it turns out that he never actually installed fencing but once drove a truck to drop off fencing for others to install.

I am repairing a fence that was damaged by a tree and he said to weave in a new piece. However I found out he really does not know how to do it. So two days later and a lot more angry over listening to the expert tell me how to do it I still have to find out how to do it right.

The problem is I have to weave in a new section between existing fence and I can not get to the other side of the fence.

I have certainly been there!

This is why I google most jobs like this instead of trusting a self proclaimed “expert”, I usually end wasting a lot of time and have the same results you seem to have gotten.

An hour or so of web research the night before almost always points me in the right direction.

[quote=“RET423, post:2, topic:27652”]
I have certainly been there!

This is why I google most jobs like this instead of trusting a self proclaimed “expert”, I usually end wasting a lot of time and have the same results you seem to have gotten.

An hour or so of web research the night before almost always points me in the right direction.
[/quote]Any job I do with him takes me five times as long as if I did it by myself. He was helping me cut a stump down so I can get the fence in place. His idea of working was to take half hearted swings with the axe two or three times and then tell me it was to hard to do. I swear I could have gotten an eight year old who woud have done a better job at swinging the axe.

Guys like that just slow everything down.
I always tell my boys that the key to doing a job that is miserable is just go all out and get it over with. Sometimes there is just no “easy way” so trying to think of one just makes the misery last longer.

Ya want a job done right, you do it yourself, John. :wink: :smile:
As a kid, I watched my dad put up a chain link fence. I was amazed at how not easy a task that is.

Sam:

Any job I do with him takes me five times as long as if I did it by myself.

Then why do you keep rehiring him?

I am not rehiring him, he is my relative and it is his property. Yesterday I completed the fence but as usual he complained all the time and came up with outlandish ways to accomplish this. He mostly got into the way of doing what needed to be done . Remember he is the expert, according to him.

He likes to take credit for others work and will claim he did something when I know he did not. He has this habit of forgetting who he is talking to when he regales me as to what he has done. Once he was telling me how he did this and his sister piped up and reminded him that it was actually me who had done it.

In the end he tells me “look what I taught you”

Good grief. Good for your sister, but thank heavens we can pick our friends, eh? :biggrin:

[quote=“2cent, post:7, topic:27652”]
Good grief. Good for your sister, but thank heavens we can pick our friends, eh? :biggrin:
[/quote]That is true. One can not pick your relatives.

But you can pick your nose.holy sheep

[quote=“Tiny1, post:9, topic:27652”]
But you can pick your nose.holy sheep
[/quote]:yeahthat::rolleyes::howler: