Don’t Be a “But..” About Self-Defense

I wonder if any of you are like me in that I get so tired of these people who say “I own a gun but we need ….etc.” when we see them in short news clips or read about them in the printed media. So this morning when I spotted a lead to this opinion column I followed it ::

Don’t Be a “But…” About Self-Defense
By Cheryl Todd
January 20, 2016
Posted on Slowfacts Wordpress

Quoting from the column–

What these phrases boil down to is “I own a gun, but I think we need more laws to restrict our rights to own guns.” Safe and responsible gun owners are not **“Buts…” ** Safe and responsible gun owners are educated and informed. They know what laws are already on the books. They know what the Constitution says. They also know their rights.
<<snip>>
“I am a gun-owner AND I will protect and defend my rights from being eroded away by politicians and the uninformed.”

I actually wonder just how many of those who are the subject of this column really do own a firearm and if they do how much do they practice with it. Please note that the photo of Whoopie Goldberg shows her with her finger on the trigger of a handgun that is obviously not pointed down range.

I practice less than I used to with the current high ammunition costs. I only carry when traveling or hiking with my dogs. At least at the level of the states we are seeing some of the ridiculous unconstitutional old anti-gun and anti-knife laws going away. We still have them in my state but they are low level misdemeanours. I got cold shivers down my back today when I heard Hillary say that she thought appointing Obama to the Supreme Court would be a great idea.

I’m a very prolific owner. :wink: