Donald Trump muses about Marco Rubio's eligibility to run for president

Donald Trump muses about Marco Rubio’s eligibility to run for president | Fox News

Fresh off his Saturday win in the South Carolina Republican primary, Trump said Sunday he didn’t know whether Rubio, a Florida senator who finished second, was eligible to run for president and that “the lawyers have to determine that.”

“I don’t know,” Trump told George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s “This Week.” “I really – I’ve never looked at it, George. I honestly have never looked at it. As somebody said, he’s not. And I retweeted it. I have 14 million people between Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and I retweet things, and we start dialogue and it’s very interesting.”

The rationale is that Rubio’s parents were NOT American citizens when he was born, though both are now. I don’t think it matters. IF “anchor babies” are considered to be citizens, then so is Rubio. He was born on U.S. soil so Trump’s being his usual idiot self if he thinks Rubio ISN’T a “natural-born citizen.”

QUOTE: “If you have to be a ‘natural-born citizen’ to run for President, that’s discriminating against everyone born caesarian.” (Anonymous college coed.)

Here we go again. Trump was FAR from the originator of the question of Rubio’s eligibility, as was the person who asked. Trump simply answered the question, and now he’s suddenly responsible for having asked it.

Gosh, this gets old.

C’mon, 2cent. Trump ADMITTED re-tweeting the claim himself. If he doesn’t believe it, why “re-tweet” it?

Trump’s birther campaign against two of his opponents that are eligible is petty at best. He may not be the originator but he sure has done much to keep repeating it.

Believe it or not, I really am trying my level best to be objective. The reason I stated what I did is because I heard someone questioning Rubio’s eligibility around a week ago. (? more or less), and this is the first I’ve heard Trump speak of it.

So…Trump re-tweets (I feel stupid even using that expression) something, and gets mountains of attention for it. It’s why he does it.
Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

As they say, “There is no such thing as bad publicity,” (…'except your own obituary"), and Trump is a master at it.

IOW, sometimes I think the mistake is ours, just as is the mother’s who picks up her baby every time the babe cries.
I’ve been just as bad. I say it aloud to help teach myself to quit falling for it.

You and PappaDave are both correct. The man is an attention hound, no doubt. Like I said, I’m trying to wean myself of giving him attention for stupid stuff. It’s getting hard to take him very seriously anymore.

Trump’s tweet, promotion of a claim or whatever concerning Rubio being ineligible to be president is not simply an example of petty campaign rhetoric or idle musing. It is Trump and his people attempting to successfully “KNEECAP” yet another challenger. The only real difference between Trump and a common street thug, is the street thug makes his intent clear and uses a tire iron to break legs. Trump uses the media.

Trump’s moral compass is lacking in integrity and, as such, often functions without boundaries. Hammering your opponents on the issues is totally fair game. Falsely accusing and/or promoting a falsehood that your competition, who happens to be of Cuban ancestry, of being ineligible for the office is bullsh*t and is designed to play off of voter fear and ignorance - of which there is an abundance. What’s next, a claim by Trump or his people that Rubio has carnal knowledge of goats?

All of the benefits associated with Trump’s presence in the campaign - and there are many - he himself has now neutralized as far as I’m concerned.

Plainly stated, Trump’s an asshole and I will not support him in his primary bid.

It should be obvious that Trump is employing in primaries the exact same tactics that democrats routinely use in general elections; it is designed to win. Not pretty but it frequently works. By the way, I have never heard a chorus of prominent democrats assert during a primary race “so-and-so is not qualified to be president of the United States”. These sound bites are not going away in the general election. What goes around comes around.

Just another reason why Trump, of all the candidates running, isn’t qualified to be the GOP nominee…let alone President.

Except for the fact that, so far, it’s working. Compare with President Dole, President McCain and President Romney. Oh, I forgot …

Yes, Old Dog, it is obvious; just like it is obvious that a thug wielding a tire iron is “employing” a strategy designed to win as well.

I’m with 2cent and her comment above - it is getting harder to ignore the “stupid stuff” and to take him seriously.

I’m a member of the voting public toward whom this comment/tweet/re-tweet was aimed. I take Trump/his people attempting to play me for a fool personally.

So, iow, the ends justify the means?

By the way, I have never heard a chorus of prominent democrats assert during a primary race “so-and-so is not qualified to be president of the United States”. These sound bites are not going away in the general election. What goes around comes around.

I don’t understand this last part of your comment. The Democrats have never done that, but this is what Trump is doing, but that’s okay because what goes around comes around?
What am I missing? That by, “not going away”, you mean the Dems are going to use it? Really. I don’t know what you’re trying to say.

“So far.” Try to remember that the one CLOSED “Primary”, Trump lost. He wins in open primaries because lots of Democrats and liberal “Independents” cross over to vote for him because they know he can’t beat THEIR nominee in November. Also, remember that roughly 70%-75% of GOP voters prefer someone OTHER than Trump to be the nominee. Let’s see how he does in OTHER closed-primary States–especially those without that stupid “same-day registration” nonsense. So far, he keeps “winning” by substantial margins, but those margins are almost ALL accounted for by cross-over voters. I reiterate: Nobody but Republicans should be allowed to select the Republican nominee. To do otherwise is to INVITE primary results to be skewed to the candidate the Democrats think they can beat…such as Dole, McCain and Romney.

The GOP establishment started the mudslinging months ago Trump will have a hard time finding a running mate who is not on record stating he is unqualified. They pack the debates with people to boo him. I think he will win the nomination, if he doesn’t, I wouldn’t blame him for going 3rd party. I don’t think he will.

So do I, Doc, and I have thought so from the day he announced. I defended SOME of his stupid stuff because it NEEDED defending against some who were willing to write him off early on and were making silly arguments like “How does he plan to get Mexico to pay for the wall.” We send Mexico billions every year. We just deduct the cost of the wall from what we’d otherwise be sending them. Easy peasy. Whether we’ll ever BUILD the wall is another question altogether. I don’t think we will–not under Trump or anyone else who sits in the White House.

I don’t believe he’ll eventually win the nomination and I believe he WILL go 3rd Party. I think that was his plan all along. He has routinely supported Democrats over Republicans. He is a close friend of both Bill and Hillary. You’ll notice that he hasn’t said much about Hillary that could be considered critical of her. His criticisms he saves for his “fellow” Republicans…or rarely, Obama. But then, LOTS of Democrats are becoming critical of Obama’s mal-administration, too.

Disagree.

He has routinely supported Democrats over Republicans.

From PunditFact:

We went to two authoritative databases of campaign finance data to examine Ferguson’s numbers: OpenSecrets.org, to find federal donations, and FollowtheMoney.org, for state-level donations.

Trump has actually been relatively evenhanded in doling out cash to the two parties, but since 1989, he’s contributed over $350,000 more to Republicans running for federal and state offices, campaign finance records show.

Donald Trump’s campaign contributions to Democrats and Republicans | PunditFact

He is a close friend of both Bill and Hillary. You’ll notice that he hasn’t said much about Hillary that could be considered critical of her.

Except for maybe how dare she even pretend to stick up for women with her record of sticking up with the most notorious philanderer of all time?

His criticisms he saves for his “fellow” Republicans…or rarely, Obama. But then, LOTS of Democrats are becoming critical of Obama’s mal-administration, too.

Who have the other Republican candidates been critical of, besides each other?

Your “Politifact” article says that he’s changed his giving to candidates since 2012…not so coincidentally the same year that he first decided to run for the Presidency as a Republican. It also leaves out the $100,000+ that he “donated” to the Clinton FOUNDATION in 2014. No, it didn’t go to a political CAMPAIGN, but it certainly was beneficial to Hillary and Bill.

He has called her a criminal on many occasions.