Dumping on the Military

AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka bashed President Obama and Vice President Biden for “valorizing” Walmart pledges to hire returning veterans.
“Walmart’s recent announcement of a plan to hire returning honorably discharged veterans is more about public relations than honoring our heroes,” Trumka said. "That this effort was valorized by President Obama and Vice President Biden reflects an acceptance of economic failure out of line with America’s history or future.

[Trumka blasts Obama on Walmart - POLITICO.com](http://www.politico.com/politico44/2013/05/trumka-blasts-obama-on-walmart-163338.html?hp=l14<br /><br />H)

How dare Walmart show patriotism for our soldiers.

The unions hate the military because that is one place they will probably never be able to sink their corrupt claws.

Wal mart is a hellish place to toil for meager wages. Their managers make good money though, the blue and red smocks make caca.

I worked at Walmart, unloading trucks, when I decided I needed something more, and joined the Marine Corps. Trucks would come in, an we’d unload them.

Walmart was the worst job I’ve ever had. I’ve had jobs that I hated equally, but they paid substantially more, and involved much less physical labor.

Your Wal-Mart experience sounds familiar to what others have told me. However, you decided to do something about it and do something much better for yourself.

With the economy the way that it is, I find it refreshing that any employer would give preference to vets. They deserve that benefit of the doubt.

It’s true that Wal-Mart hires veterans, but for less than full-time, at minimum wage, without any health or dental benefits, and no chance to unionize. It is a dead-end for everyone.

The only thing worse than shopping at Wal-Mart is working there.

No, that depends entirely on the applicant, location, and so forth. Health benefits were offerred back when I worked there, and they still are today.

I don’t recall anyone working at Walmart for the minimum wage. I never did. Unloaders were the lowest paid position back then. I don’t know about now though, since the stores are almost all 24 hours.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:4, topic:39385”]
Your Wal-Mart experience sounds familiar to what others have told me. However, you decided to do something about it and do something much better for yourself.

With the economy the way that it is, I find it refreshing that any employer would give preference to vets. They deserve that benefit of the doubt.
[/quote]I have not seen door greeters lately at Walmart. There was this one old gentleman who was there for a long time but I guess something happened to him.

[quote=“JT78, post:5, topic:39385”]
It’s true that Wal-Mart hires veterans, but for less than full-time, at minimum wage, without any health or dental benefits, and no chance to unionize. It is a dead-end for everyone.

The only thing worse than shopping at Wal-Mart is working there.
[/quote]I have seen the same people working at Walmart for years and I have not heard any complaints.

Yeah, I haven’t seen them for a few months. Must be this great Obama economy, there are too many good jobs out there for anyone to settle for being a greeter at Walmart.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/SusannaHarriff/Smilies/sarcasm.gif

(I used to pretty much avoid my “rude” category on my smiley pad, but I find myself using it more than anything else these days).

[quote=“samspade, post:1, topic:39385”]
AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka bashed President Obama and Vice President Biden for “valorizing” Walmart pledges to hire returning veterans.
“Walmart’s recent announcement of a plan to hire returning honorably discharged veterans is more about public relations than honoring our heroes,” Trumka said. "That this effort was valorized by President Obama and Vice President Biden reflects an acceptance of economic failure out of line with America’s history or future.

[Trumka blasts Obama on Walmart - POLITICO.com](http://www.politico.com/politico44/2013/05/trumka-blasts-obama-on-walmart-163338.html?hp=l14<br /><br />H)

How dare Walmart show patriotism for our soldiers.
[/quote]Sam, would it be possible for you to increase the size of your font? Even with my glasses, it is a bit hard to see.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:10, topic:39385”]
Sam, would it be possible for you to increase the size of your font? Even with my glasses, it is a bit hard to see.
[/quote]Tiny I am sorry about that. When I go to post lately it seems like I sometimes encounter some funny stuff like reduced fonts after the article posts. In the future I will work on this. Some of these sites are making it difficult to copy and past their stuff.

[quote=“samspade, post:11, topic:39385”]
Tiny I am sorry about that. When I go to post lately it seems like I sometimes encounter some funny stuff like reduced fonts after the article posts. In the future I will work on this. Some of these sites are making it difficult to copy and past their stuff.
[/quote]Oh believe me, I get it. Just my old eyes are tired, and I have trouble with text that size. Mucho appreciado.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:12, topic:39385”]
Oh believe me, I get it. Just my old eyes are tired, and I have trouble with text that size. Mucho appreciado.
[/quote]My eyes get tired too so I go to the upper right corner of my browser and increase the size of the font. Currently I have the font set at 150%. Years ago the font was okay but it seems that when ie released the newer versions of it that the font started to shrink on me.

[quote=“samspade, post:13, topic:39385”]
My eyes get tired too so I go to the upper right corner of my browser and increase the size of the font. Currently I have the font set at 150%. Years ago the font was okay but it seems that when ie released the newer versions of it that the font started to shrink on me.
[/quote]I am on my work station. I cannot increase the font, because my underwriting programs go berserk.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:14, topic:39385”]
I am on my work station. I cannot increase the font, because my underwriting programs go berserk.
[/quote]I see.

But Tiny doesn’t.:wink:

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:16, topic:39385”]
[/quote]:coffee_spray:

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:16, topic:39385”]
[/quote]Not well, anyway. Thanx for your support.:wink:

Just doing my part…when I’m allowed to do so.

I actually agree with the guy that wrote the report noted in the op. Walmart can say all they want that they are going to hire former vets. It doesn’t mean that I have to believe it. Actually hiring vets and letting the word get out means more than any person saying they are commited to hiring them. Plus, its no secret that Walmart is one of the worst companies to work for. I can’t stand even stepping into the door. And I believe that I saw somewhere not to long ago, that Walmart was either going to completely stop hiring new employees for full time work, or cut everyones hours back so they aren’t considered full time because Walmart didn’t want to pay for their insurance due to Obamacare. Its not like the Waltons don’t have enough money to do so. They just don’t want to chip away at their personal billions to take care of the people that actually help make them the money.

There’s not a company out there that I can think of that has done more to destroy the American economy buy getting all of their garbage they sell from overseas, killing off American jobs in the process. And frankly it sickens me that people who spent however many years defending the American way of life have to come home and work for a company that does everything that it can to kill the American way of life. I would feel much better if some of the remaining truly American companies put out this statement.

And besides all of that, I think that there are much better avenues for our returning vets to go through to put all of their skills they acquired in the military to good use. Private security, personal trainers, communications and broadcasting, construction, heavy equipment operation, piloting, etc. Anything is better for them and the country than coming back and working unappreciated at Walmart.