DYI aftermaths

I enjoy DYI shows and one question always comes to mind. I wonder what happens after the show. From what I have read some use the DYI project as a cheap way to get someone else to upgrade their property then they sell it.

When it comes to landscaping the thing now seems to put pergolas and water devices in the yard along with fire pits. Well there was an episode where Yard Crashers the show revisited some of their previous work. Of the five places they visited only one owner had attempted to keep up the work. The rest let all the flowers die and turned the landscape back to less than beautiful.

True be told those owners probably did not care for their landscape before and would do the same afterwards.

Keeping so many things up takes a lot of work. Some people don’t have the time or energy to do it, some don’t have the knowledge, and there are probably others who are just plain lazy.

Sorry I’m so ignorant, but what on earth is a DYI show?

Addendum - there are probably some who expect it to just take care of itself . . .

[quote=“Pappadave, post:3, topic:44233”]
Sorry I’m so ignorant, but what on earth is a DYI show?
[/quote]Do it yourself show. In some episodes the homeowners fit up the place while in many cases a show is done by a crew coming in and remodeling or landscaping. I guess one can say the correct terminology would be DIY

[quote=“Susanna, post:4, topic:44233”]
Addendum - there are probably some who expect it to just take care of itself . . .
[/quote]True in one sense when say a landscaper puts in tons of flowers that need to be cared for or some fancy landscaping that requires special care to keep up. However, I have watched these shows for years and some of these owners just in my opinion would never have cared for their dwelling anyway. I figure some think that if they can get someone to fit it up they do not have to do it.

I was a advisor for a short while on a DYI program and local builders really got jerky over my comments and suggestions. so I left it. These DYI shows are ego building platforms for mediocre builders with a certain charisma.

[quote=“Susanna, post:2, topic:44233”]
Keeping so many things up takes a lot of work. Some people don’t have the time or energy to do it, some don’t have the knowledge, and there are probably others who are just plain lazy.
[/quote]There was that one episode about landscaping I saw where the host revisited several of their previous projects and one of five only one owner had worked to keep up the landscape. Many times the show wants to put in plenty of flowers which require upkeep or special features like fire pits and some sort of water feature. The problem I see is that they need to be cared for and when it comes to things like the water features, one must be mindful of drawing bugs and stagnant water.

Then there is those features where they install outdoor electronics and I feeling is that is an invitation to theft.

In the end, I would like to see more stories of aftermaths of these shows.

Remember that show where crews would come in a demolish a sub-standard home and build the owners a brand-new one? It eventually disappeared…in part because the owners let those properties rapidly deteriorate to the condition of their PREVIOUS home. Also, some put them up for sale or obtained mortgages for them that they couldn’t possibly pay off and lost them.

[quote=“Pappadave, post:9, topic:44233”]
Remember that show where crews would come in a demolish a sub-standard home and build the owners a brand-new one? It eventually disappeared…in part because the owners let those properties rapidly deteriorate to the condition of their PREVIOUS home. Also, some put them up for sale or obtained mortgages for them that they couldn’t possibly pay off and lost them.
[/quote]I do not remember those shows but from what I have seen I believe many of these makeovers end up either with the owner selling the property or just letting the renovation go downhill.

I watch Ask this Old House as one of my regulars and sometimes the owner just refuses to help. Not all of those shows have owners helping because of age or the job is just a one man job or when experts have to come it.

I remember one particular one where Ask this Old House came in to help redo the outside shutters and the man of the house just got up and left so they did the show with the wife.

In the end I would like to see more revelations of what happened to past projects but I surmise those owners would have a fit.

Holmes on Homes spends thousands working on a house. There was one show called In a Fix where the crew would do one room. In this episode they were redoing the Kitchen. The crew made cabinets and moved things around at the insistence of the owner and later he locked them out and ordered new cabinets which the crew had to install. This fellow had the nerve of saying to his wife when she showed up “Look at what I did”. Besides the fact he never lifted a finger to help do the remodel he was a jerk.

The show I’m thinking of was called “Extreme Home Makeover” and was a very popular, Sunday evening, broadcast (ABC, I think) program.

There is far too much ‘drama’ that goes into the making of these shows, and the skill level for the various trades is marginal from what I can see.
I was a member of the HGTV forums a number of years ago. But I found the ego level of these folks far exceeds their realtime skills. I figured I had been in the industry far longer than any of them, having started doing survey work at the age of twelve in 53’ with my dad, to running bull dozers at seventeen, carpentry, masonry, sheet metal [hated that] and on into Architecture. I finally left that forum. And I don’t watch these DIY shows and makeover shows or any other reality shows. All it shows is the networks have lost their sense of imagination and there are no more writers out there of any skill.
Let’s all boycott for the return of Carol Burnett.

Now I’m 100% for this!!!

Lately I put in a new tank for a relative’s well. I had to replace everything. I noticed her water softener is bad. The thing is stuck in regeneration cycle and the bypass leaks and sprays water all over the new pressure switch for the well tank. I cut the softener out of the line and have been making inquires about a new one. Except for the fact softeners are very heavy it looks like it would not be much of a job to hook a new one up.

I gave a water sample to a business and they are supposed to get back to me. Meanwhile, I have been looking at the relative’s pipes and she has pipes that are very old and in this one spot a valve leaking. I have never sweated copper before and that would be the cheapest way to replace that section of pipe while the water softener is gone.

I had hauled the old softener out to the alley and it was gone an hour later. That softener was very heavy and since there is only me, it is difficult to do some things. I had to laugh in there is a cart out in the garage but when I tried to use it the tires went flat and I could not pull it upstairs at all. I ended up giving that softener a bear hug and lifting it one step at a time till I got it out of the basement.

Later on today I will be installing a water softener I purchased from Sears. I had gone to another place and gotten a price which was supposed to include delivery and set up. Later they called and tried to add another $500 to the bill. All I have to do is sweat two male adapters on or even use compression fittings and screw two hoses on. Not much thinking there. attach the overflow hose, add salt, plug it in to the outlet next to it, and set the time for regeneration. Not a big deal.

I brought the softener home with me so no delivery charge.

We had a water softener for a couple of years in Texas. What we saved in SOAP alone paid for the thing in about 1 year! Where before we had to use 1/2 cup of detergent per laundry load, we got perfectly satisfactory results with a tablespoon full after adding the softener.

You got it right with the “drama” part. Yikes. Being flat on my back w/sporadic sleep hours, I found myself channel flipping, and caved to watching various house/bar/diner "make-overs."
One was a (I think?) husband & wife team, and HOPEFULLY, his demeanor toward his wife was just for drama’s sake. Why any woman would put up with that is beyond me.

Not sure if it was that one or the other “make-overs”, you’re right about the “skill level” of many of the so-called “pro’s.” One actually said that spray texturing the walls would help insulate the house. I think that was my favorite.

Bottom line, though, is that you are SO RIGHT about Hollywood having lost any ability to come up with anything that actually imaginative. So have their viewers.

Let’s all boycott for the return of Carol Burnett.

Hear! Hear!

Now THOSE people showed, not only imagination, but true acting skills!

Water finds its own level.

Show me someone who’s living in a place fit only for animals; and I’ll show you an animal. You can take the pig out of the pen but you can’t take the pen out of the pig.

GIVING them luxury digs, for nothing (for the video story) and then expecting them to maintain it, is folly. They WILL let it go; it WILL become as rundown as it was, and very quickly.

1 Like

I believe it. I once saw a follow up to a landscaping show and out of five homes only one guy had maintained the renovations that the landscaping show had done. Seriously the show comes in and plants all sort of plants and does other stuff and owners let it go or just as you said end up selling the property figuring they got something for nothing. Honestly these shows all want to built pergolases , make water works, fire pits or fancy grills. New decks are built. Fancy electronics are installed which I figure last till someone comes and steals them.

The owners say they have no time to do anything but it seems they have time to party and go on fancy vacations. I can see fixing things up for an older person or simplifying yard work but in some cases the owners did not do anything and will continue to do nothing after the show.

This is like watching Bar Rescue. Some of the places close soon after and some take what was done and go right back to doing what was making their business fail in the first place.

Ooops.