Easter Bread and Using a Bread Machine - Questions

My wife makes Easter bread every year but she is at a point where she is trying to get the daughters to take over this task. She started by dropping hints but has recently started threatening to stop making the bread altogether. :grin:

Well, my wife does all the cooking in our house but I always wanted to make bread (that Easter Bread is so good) so I bought a Bread Machine.

All the recipes I have found do not resemble my wife’s in any way. Hers is very sweet and uses a lot of eggs.

I want to adapt her recipe to a bread machine. I know the eggs must be offset by less liquid but I need to know if I increase the sugar if I should then reduce the flour. In a way adding one DRY ingredient and subtracting another sounds reasonable but I’m not sure.

Before I start wasting ingredients I thought maybe someone here has experience with bread machines and could help out. Thanks if you can.

[quote=“Bucks, post:1, topic:34261”]
My wife makes Easter bread every year but she is at a point where she is trying to get the daughters to take over this task. She started by dropping hints but has recently started threatening to stop making the bread altogether. :grin:

Well, my wife does all the cooking in our house but I always wanted to make bread (that Easter Bread is so good) so I bought a Bread Machine.

All the recipes I have found do not resemble my wife’s in any way. Hers is very sweet and uses a lot of eggs.

I want to adapt her recipe to a bread machine. I know the eggs must be offset by less liquid but I need to know if I increase the sugar if I should then reduce the flour. In a way adding one DRY ingredient and subtracting another sounds reasonable but I’m not sure.

Before I start wasting ingredients I thought maybe someone here has experience with bread machines and could help out. Thanks if you can.

[/quote]I got a bread machine used it once and it walked off the counter. I received a replacement and left it in the box until I donated it to charity

My wife says sugar will immediately become a liquid when it hits the eggs so substituting sugar for flour will not work.

She says you should try your wife’s recipe intact but cut it in half, she thinks it will probably work even though your wife’s recipe is wetter than the ones you have found designed for bread machines. She also said any bread with more sugar than normal needs to be cooked at a lower temp for a longer duration so if your bread machine has the option to reduce the temp from 350 to 325 and extend the bake time about 30 percent it should work in the bread machine. You may have to tweak those temps and times a little as you see how it goes.

She says another option if this does not turn out well would be to use the bread machine to process the entire loaf but instead of allowing it to bake (the final step) just remove it and place it in the oven and bake normally.

I know nothing of baking bread but my wife bakes a pretty mean loaf and she has used the bread machine I bought her 20 years ago quite a bit as well.

Good luck!

Thanks.

I bought a Breville “custom loaf” bread maker. I made my first loaf and it turned out pretty good.

I tried this recipe from the manual;

Milk, 80°F (27°C) . 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
Sour cream . 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
Hazelnut oil (or butter) 2 1/2 tablespoons
Eggs, 2oz (60g), at room temperature, beaten 2
Hazelnut butter . 1/4 cup
Salt 1 1/2 teaspoons
Sugar, granulated . ¼ cup + 1 tbls
Cocoa powder . 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
Bread flour 5 cups
Vital wheat gluten (optional) 1 1/2 tablespoons
Yeast: Active Dry 2 3/4. teaspoons

ADD TO THE AUTOMATIC FRUIT AND NUT DISPENSER
Semi sweet chocolate chips 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
Toasted hazelnuts 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon

But I modified the recipe to;

Milk 1% (80*F) = 1 1/2 cups
Eggs (room temp) = 2 (1 egg = 1/4 cup liquid)
Butter = ¼ cup (melted) 1/2 stick 2oz
Salt = 1 ½ tsp
Sugar = ¼ cup + 1 tbls
Flour = 5 cups
Yeast = 2 ¾ tsp (1 packet)

(I eliminated the nuts and chocolate)

This is my first and only bread and it turned out great. My wife said I was crazy to try and modify a recipe my first try. :grin:

I bake bread, and have used a bread maker a time or twelve.
I use a ratio of 3 cups of flour, to 1 1/4 cups of liquid. More flour in summer, a little less, in winter. Texture is important. 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. For sweet bread, I double the yeast, use less salt, 1/8 teaspoon ascorbic acid(Fruit Fresh), and allow more rise time, then bake in the oven.
The ascorbic acid aids the yeast, acts as a preservative, and deters bacterial and mold growth. Do not overdo.

Bread making is an art. You can experiment with rise times, and yeasts to achieve the desired results. good luck.

I am about to try out a couple of recipes I got from the internet (not bread) and I intend modifying both.

Well Susanna, did the recipes work with your modifications?

I’ve just tried one, so far. Worked fine. FC said it was “eminently edible”.