Education dept tells schools they are racist

“Students of color, students with disabilities and male students” are suspended at a disproportionate rate than their peers, in “potential violation of civil rights laws,” an Education Department official said Wednesday at the first ever congressional hearing on the so-called school-to-prison pipeline.
“We are alarmed by the disparities in disciplinary sanctions, particularly for students of color, students with disabilities, and male students,” said Deborah Delisle, assistant secretary for the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education at the Education Department. In written testimony, she said such disparities are a “potential violation of civil rights laws.”

“When African-American students are more than 3 ½ times as likely to be suspended or expelled as their White peers, or students with disabilities are more than twice as likely to receive out-of-school suspensions as their non-disabled peers, as they are today – it raises substantial concerns,”Delisle told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“These concerns are reflected in our department’s enforcement efforts and in the stories we’ve heard from the field, which demonstrate too often that students face disciplinary actions on the basis of their race,” she said.

For example, Delisle noted that an African-American student in kindergarten was suspended for five days for setting off a fire alarm while a white studentin 9th grade in the same district was suspended for one day for doing the same thing.

Rep. Danny Davis (D-Ill.), a member of the Congressional Black Caucus,testified at the hearing, that he and the CBC have “advocated vigorously forover a decade that the federal government should lead the effort to address the over-disciplining of youth – a key factor involved in the educational crisis of African-Americans and especially African-American men.”

Education Dept. Official: Higher Rate of School Suspensions for Blacks, Disabled, Males

Obama said he was going to impose more rules to help blacks, the rest is window dressing

Ok I will be honest. Most here know that I am black. I went to a large school with both a large black and white population. Black kids get into fights and in trouble more often that other kids. Fact. I grew up in it and witnessed it. Not saying that white people don’t get in trouble just that more often blacks do. Plus it also depends on what kind of area the school is located in and were the kids attending live. In a school in Oak Cliff, you can bet there are going to be some bad kids there as opposed to a rural or suburbia school. Environment plays a big role in the quality of children and their behavior in school.

So…I guess schools need to get busy expelling Asian girls with a 4.0 GPA to “prove” they are not “Racist’s”?

Read the quote. It gave examples of students who did the same action but got different punishments. This is the concern, that race plays a factor in punishment, not only that blacks and males are more likely to be punished.

[quote=“Trekky0623, post:4, topic:37485”]
Read the quote. It gave examples of students who did the same action but got different punishments. This is the concern, that race plays a factor in punishment, not only that blacks and males are more likely to be punished.
[/quote]What you have is not actual proof but someone who wants to try to undermine disciple because white people are “picking” on black kids. Do you believe in the Easter bunny to if someone is trying to sell Easter candy? Self serving statements does not constitute proof.

Nowhere in this post did you make a coherent point. May God have mercy on your soul.

Quoting you because I have Trekky on ignore. The instance he described does not give any context. One incident each - I’m guessing that it was a single incident with the white teen, and a behaviour pattern for the black youngster. On the other hand, they may both have been in the same context, but still only one example of each, certainly not enough to make a pattern.

Oh, and thank you, Seravee, for posting as you did. Too few people think that the actual behaviour of the youngsters might have something to do with the frequency of chastisement.

Maybe, but the incidents combined with statistics that show males and blacks usually are punished more often gives at least some concern that the reason they are punished more may have to do with race as seen with the isolated incidents. Nothing substantial or conclusive, but something to look into more closely.

[quote=“Trekky0623, post:8, topic:37485”]
Maybe, but the incidents combined with statistics that show males and blacks usually are punished more often gives at least some concern that the reason they are punished more may have to do with race as seen with the isolated incidents. Nothing substantial or conclusive, but something to look into more closely.
[/quote]As usual trying to weasel out of admitting you are wrong again.

Well first off I never made any claims in this thread besides pointing out the anecdotal evidence in the link to RET, mostly because there isn’t any real strong evidence here. However,

1. Statistics show blacks and males are punished more than other students.
  2. There is anecdotal evidence of the same action by two different students receiving different punishments based on race.

I’m not wrong, and neither are you. The fact is that this does point to some concern that some punishments are more severe based on race or gender, and I do think that maybe there should be some looking into it because of that.

However, you seem to be on a crusade to antagonize me at every turn, so whatever. Pretend like I posted stuff in this thread I really didn’t.

I know of several white people (now in their 60’s) who suffered all kinds of bullying at the hands of black kids in public schools–and this was back when public schools were less satanic than they are today. I had a friend who had to carry his lunch money in secret pocket in his belt. When I was in my early 20’s a friend and I took the “L” to downtown Chicago. Along the way, there was a young, black man (high on something) who sat next to me and threatened me with a broken pop bottle. The train was full of people–almost all of them black. When I pushed through him to get to the door to get off the train, he fell to the floor, then grabbed onto my leg and I dragged him to the train door. He got up, told me and my girlfriend that we were “dead” once we got off the train and then proceeded to hit my girlfriend in the face. All these black people saw and heard what was happening for well over 10 minutes. They did nothing. There was one older-looking white man sitting . I went up to him and begged him to help us. He turned out to be a retired cop. The train came to an immediate halt and dozens of train security guards knocked this fool to the ground. Once we got onto the platform, we were greeted by another dozen men–this time Chicago cops. To make a long story short, we were told to show up in the courthouse the next morning before 9 a.m. Me and several friends (mostly white males) arrived at the courthouse before 8 a.m. As we heard case after case, and it was almost noontime, I went to the bailiff and asked him when our case would be called. He told me, “That case has been called and dismissed.” When I argued that we had been there since before court began, he simply repeated what he had said. That was and is Chicago’s brand of “justice”. Were it a white man who attacked and threatened us, he would still be serving time to this day…