Eighth-Grader Who Refused to Remove NRA Shirt Could Face Year in Prison

The clothing kerfuffle began when Marcum wore a shirt bearing the NRA’s logo and a hunting rifle. As he stood in line in the cafeteria, a teacher ordered him to either change shirts or turn it inside out.
Marcum declined and was sent to the office, where an officer was dispatched after he again refused to comply with the school’s request.
Cops arrested him and charged him with disrupting the educational process and obstructing an officer.

Late last week Marcum “appeared before a judge and was officially charged with obstructing an officer,” reports Fox News. If convicted, he could face up to a $500 fine or a year in prison. He will be back in front of the judge on July 11 if his attorney cannot get the charge dismissed before then.

Eighth-Grader Who Refused to Remove NRA Shirt Could Face Year in Prison | National Review Online
What is this? Is this some foreign country that locks up people for disrespecting the government? Are we akin to Muslim countries that lock up people for perceived slights? Where is the first amendment?

Anymore we are punishing people for pop tarts, toy guns, and any other wild thing someone thinks needs clamping down on the people. All this under a democrat administration. So who are the racists, bigots, regulatory group that wants to control everything? Yep it sure looks like the democrats.

Does the school have a dress code that forbids clothing with pictures of guns?

[quote=“WhoIsJohnGalt, post:2, topic:39866”]
Does the school have a dress code that forbids clothing with pictures of guns?
[/quote]I don’t know, but you can bet that George W. Bush put him up to it.

I saw on the news this morning that the claim was that the sleeveless style of the shirt was against the dress code but, it hadn’t been enforced except in his case. It was obvious that a liberal teacher finally got bent out of shape over it while he was in the lunch line. They are lucky the boy wasn’t diabetic. They interrupted his eating schedule.

The only reason that they charged the boy with obstructing a police officer is that he kept trying to explain to the police officer that he had done nothing wrong even though he complied with the police officer that the principal called to the school to arrest him. This is yet another fine example of progressive liberal commie control of our schools.

The school district’s dress code prohibits any profanity, violence, discriminatory messages, but the report noted that gun images are not on the list.

Dad of West Virginia boy arrested over NRA shirt says he’ll fight punishment | Fox News

Per your linked article, other students wore similar NRA shirts and were not singled out as he was. Also, they arrested him for disrupting an educational process. How was being singled out while in line for lunch disrupting an educational process? Progressive liberal commies sure are lying, vile, and loathsome creatures.

I found the schools actual dress code

Since there is a direct relationship between dress and behavior, it is believed that students and staff should dress appropriately for the school setting. Appropriate, will be defined here as right and correct for the school setting and functions, conducive to learning, and shall not distract from or be disruptive to the learning process.

If in the judgment of the administration, a student is dressed inappropriately, the student will be required to change clothes or cover up inappropriate clothing before returning to classes. Time out of class will be regarded as unexcused. Additional measures may be taken if deemed necessary by the administration. The administration has the final authority on all matters relating to the dress code.

Logan Co. Schools Dress Code

Looks like basically if any teacher doesnt like what your shirt says they can make you change

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:7, topic:39866”]
I found the schools actual dress code

Logan Co. Schools Dress Code

Looks like basically if any teacher doesnt like what your shirt says they can make you change
[/quote]So this makes it arbitrary on what the teacher likes. What if he or she hated Mickey Mouse? Yep sounds like a Muslim country to me.

Teenager, 14, Executed By Islamist Rebels in Syria - ABC News

That’s your excuse for everything, it’s tiresome and I actually though you were making a rather decent point otherwise.

There is absolutely no comparison to that events and the event in West Virginia.

Nope, we just send them to jail.

LOL! Like I always say, LET’S GIVE THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS MORE MONEY FROM THE TAXPAYER’S POCKETS!!! YEAH!!! MONEY WELL SPENT, EH?? I wonder why we never hear of these kinds of nutty incidents in private schools?

Because private schools can institute a dress code without getting sued

Because private schools cover them up? Because private schools are allowed to implement dress codes? Because people who go to private schools tend to have children from families of a higher income? Because there are more public schools? I honestly have no idea I’m throwing out random guesses.

Your random guesses seethe with envy.

Cover them up? You’ve got to be kidding!!! If anything private schools are held to much more scrutiny than the public schools! One reason that private schools don’t have these kinds of problems is because there is usually a DISCIPLINE policy that is implemented AND enforced in the school. In the last few schools that I taught in, parents were required to sign a copy of the discipline policy to show that they read and accepted it. Kids do not run the schools unlike in public schools where you might as well have class in the middle of a jungle. Kids usually wear uniforms in private schools–that alone resolves a whole host of problems that are typically found in p.s. Kids in private schools are usually held to higher standards because many of them are religious schools…unlike p.s. where God has been kicked out. And, for your information, I have taught and been a principal in numerous private schools in my 25+ years in education and I can tell you that most of the parents who put their kids in a private school are middle income–and make great sacrifices to ensure that their children are not faced with the idiocy that is found in public schools. Teachers are actually able to teach in a private school unlike their counterparts in p.s. My own sister teaches in a “very good” public school in Virginia and even she is frustrated with what goes on there. You know, not all private schools are elitist–there are some, but for the most part, private schools are attended by middle class families. Teachers in private schools typically get 40% LESS than teachers in p.s. When I was a principal–and I taught some math classes, too–I was making $30,000. My sister was making $46,500 as a new (only 3 years of experience) first grade teacher. Why do I bring this up? Because teachers in private schools have something that public school teachers do not: dedication and love of teaching and their students. My sister, as much as I love her, leaves her students at 3:00 p.m. every afternoon and doesn’t think about them until 7:00 a.m. the next morning. When I was going to college for my teaching degree, I was appalled at how many of my fellow classmates were in the teaching field for the Christmas and summer breaks. I don’t think I remember a single classmate of mine who intended on teaching in a private school–or even considering it.

Again, guessing…also I’m *starting *to think that you might not be a big fan of the public school system :slight_smile:
Actually my old teachers were one of the only redeeming features of my very public high school. My parents couldn’t afford to send me to a private school, which to be honest is really one of my few complaints about private schools, they aren’t necessaily affordable; personally a bigger fan of charter schools.

Actually my random guesses seeth with ignorance…I had no idea how to answer.

Robert: Thanks for your reply. I am sorry if I come off sometimes as aggressive–if you knew me, you’d know I’m the complete opposite in most cases! I’m pretty much a kitten–with retracted claws! :grin: I can’t speak for other private schools, but in Catholic schools there is usually a process parents can go through to get a scholarship for their kids. There is, of course, a limit to the number of scholarships awarded, but for the most part, if parents are truly unable to pay tuition–or pay all of the tuition–schools will make exceptions and award either a full or partial scholarship. I know that other private schools like “Heritage” also have scholarships because their tuition is very high.

I know how difficult it is for parents to send their kids to private schools. It takes great sacrifices most of the time. My own parents sacrificed greatly to send me to a private high school. I am forever grateful to them because if I would have had to have gone to the local public high school, I probably would have dropped out and become a bum.

Allow me to submit a “random” guess: Because parents of private school students can pull their child out if something like that was done to their child.

Parents who are scraping and sacrificing (which is the case much more often than stereotypes acknowledge) to send their child(ren) to private schools are able to “transfer” that to affording another private school or make different but analogous financial adjustments to homeschool their child(ren).

Public stonings and beheadings are so much more entertaining though.