EmDrive May Generate Warp-Like Field, NASA Engineers Discover

NASA May Have Accidentally Created a Warp Field | Mysterious Universe

So here’s the necessary backstory. Way back in 2000 Roger J. Shawyer developed the EmDrive, a proposed spacecraft propulsion system that doesn’t need fuel as a propellent. By 2006, the concept faced heavy criticism for violating the law of conservation of momentum - not to mention a distinct lack of peer review to his research. Eventually teams in China and the US, including a group at NASA that investigates fringe proposals, constructed their own versions for testing. These devices promptly surprised everyone by working even when nobody quite understood how. It wasn’t enough to get us to space, but was interesting enough to warrant future research.

Skip ahead to this month, where we have a propulsion device that somehow produces microwaves to generate thrust. According to posts on NASASpaceFlight.com, someone at NASA wondered where the thrust came from and used a tool to measure variances in light’s path-time. What this tool recorded is that when lasers are fired through the EmDrive’s resonance chamber, some of the beams [COLOR=#ff0000]start moving faster than the speed of light. If everything checks out - and on the surface the math does - it means the EmDrive is producing some kind of warp field.[/COLOR]

My own disclaimer, these tests are still brand new, haven’t been peer-reviewed, and the tests need to be RECREATED by others to confirm. They also need to test in a vacuum. But the EmDrive is flipping weird, so… if they HAVE accidentally created a Faster Than Light Warp field by total accident… holy crap.

1 Like

Well, rocket travel was total fantasy in Buck Rogers day; Dick Tracy’s wrist TV/radio watch was same; death rays in “ancient” science fiction also, so ------!!

I KNEW this could happen some day. I just knew it!
It’s always been my contention, that if it’s imaginable, it’s doable.

This is very exciting! Oh, how I do hope to get to see it in my lifetime.

Sadly, not any day soon. Even if it’s real (NASA has not actually made an announcement to this effect, so it’s a bit suspicious), it runs on Anti-matter. We don’t exactly have a stockpile of that laying around somewhere.

lol But that’s okay. I still have every confidence that we will some day get there.

And, fwiw, there are times that I wish my kitchen had a huge stockpile of Anti-matter.

I was reading about a Russian supply ship which is self guided missing its mark to resupply the space station. We have come a long way baby

Russian Supply Ship Docks at Space Station on 2nd Try

Meanwhile our muslim appreciation efforts at NASA are paying off

[quote=“Alaska_Slim, post:4, topic:46589”]
Sadly, not any day soon. Even if it’s real (NASA has not actually made an announcement to this effect, so it’s a bit suspicious), it runs on Anti-matter. We don’t exactly have a stockpile of that laying around somewhere.
[/quote] First I’ve heard that the EMDrive uses anti-matter, let alone ANY real engine using it as a power source. Source please.

Treating this with total skepticism for the moment. Makes me wonder: from what are they trying to distract us?

Considering just how little press this has received… if they are using it to “distract” us from “something”, then it is doing a poor job in that role…

Yeah, I know. Right now I would be stunned to find that the muslim outreach program could find it’s collective arse with both hands and a map, though, so… yeah. Until they are warping my arse to Gliese 581-D or something, I won’t believe a word of it is anything more than feel-good propaganda. And I know that’s a crappy attitude to take, but then, our government has earned it.

EDIT: I** hope t**hey have found the basis for a working warp drive, and we can open up a whole new frontier for the people who want to live with little government intervention, preferably soon enough that I can go… That would be way too cool for words. But I don’t believe it, because it comes from a government agency. They lie so routinely they have to work hard to let any kind of truth escape their “lips”.

So, does this mean you don’t believe the Higgs Boson was found?

I’ll believe it when I see one for myself. …:wink:

How about his wife, Higgs’ Boson Mate?.. [/Tongue in cheek]

2 Likes