EneMedia's long history of covering for Biden

By Jeffrey Lord | May 9, 2020 4:00 PM EDT

In a nearby flashback, this September, 2019 post from NB colleagues Rich Noyes and Scott Whitlock recalled the 1987 flame-out of then Delaware Senator Joe Biden’s 1988 presidential campaign over the issue of plagiarized speeches.

The flashback caught my eye because, as I have mentioned over time in other venues, I was involved. And were the situation to occur in today’s media world, there is no question I would have proceeded differently.

Biden’s problem arose when the campaign manager for the rival campaign of Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis leaked a video that had side-by-side comparisons of a Biden speech and a speech by British Labour Party leader Neil Kinnock. As is pointed out in the flashback, the side-by-side “clips showed Biden aping Kinnock talking about his wife being the first in her family to go to college, and about his ancestors playing football for hours after a long day of working in the mines.”

The video raised an immediate ruckus, which in turn resulted in a statement from the Biden campaign that this was simply a crediting mistake and that Biden did not plagiarize. Cue my younger self.