Engineering Grads Earn The Most

New college graduates may be entering the worst job market in decades, but there are still some majors that pay off—and all of them are in the applied sciences.
A new report from the National Association of Colleges and Employers finds that eight of the top 10 best-paid majors are in engineering, with petroleum engineering topping off the list at $86,220.See Table.
“Petroleum engineering has been at the top for the last three years,” said Edwin Koc, director of strategic and foundation research at NACE. "The oil industry for the last couple of years has been a bit more active and a bit better off than some of the other sectors. Texas had a better employment picture than other locations, and a lot of the [petroleum engineering job] offers came out of Texas schools."
Computer science was the fourth most lucrative degree, with graduates starting at $61,205 on average. The average salary for computer science majors has increased by at least 5% each year since 2007, said Mr. Koc.

Here’s the list of top 10 majors, with starting salaries:
Petroleum Engineering: $93,500
Computer Engineering: $71,700
Chemical Engineering: $67,600
Computer Science: $64,800
Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering: $64,400
Mechanical Engineering: $64,000
Electrical/Electronics and Communications Engineering: $63,400
Management Information Systems/Business: $63,100
Engineering Technology: $62,200
Finance: $57,400

Highest-Paid College Majors - Graduates’ Starting Salaries - At Work - WSJ
[http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703625304575116170339369354.html

S](http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703625304575116170339369354.html)tarting salaries for professions other than liberal arts studies. I would say none of them is involved in learning the theory of evolution.

Of course…none of the top jobbers believe their petroleum was created since the flood or plate tectonics don’t exist.

That they simply GRADUATED from college means it is much more likely that they believe in evolution. That they graduated in technical fields makes it much more likely that they are open to and understand the importance of verifiable data. Unlike HS grads and Community College cosmetology majors.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/lvtmmfl19eqfl0cpgxojzw.gif

Even a post like this is all about your religious belief that the theory evolution is an indisputable fact that requires any dissent to be met with the power of the state to crush it. {Insult deleted by PeteS}

I work around many engineers and have worked with hundreds over the years. None of their abilities and careers have been impacted by their beliefs in TOE or Creationism and you are wrong for implying that to be the case. While not all of them are creationists, many are. Unlike yourself, most of the ones that are not Creationists or lean toward TOE do not believe that TOE is indisputable fact because it has not been proven so. By it’s very nature, that will require more than the last 150 years (of info that you have been able to read via Google) or so that TOW has been around. {Insult deleted by PeteS}, Engineers tend to know actual process of scientific proof.

Technical degrees are the ones that are the most employable right out of college.

{Insult deleted by PeteS}…read the last line of the first post to see who made it about evolution. And yes…I’m reporting your post as a personal attack.
Where are all the posts calling this out as classless???

I did and my post still stands. Report away.

THis is what insecure beings do when people are able to provide info that negates their claims.

I think you should be talking to Sam about his insecurities if he feels the need to make a news story about engineering degrees and their earnings about evolution and creationism.

Nearly 100 grand starting salary… and here I am doing a joint degree in history and politics :confused:

But you could grow up to be rich politician one day!! Hang in there!! LOL

I know it might be hard to believe, but RO Staff folk have lives. At the time of your post, WIJG was probably still asleep, it being early Monday AM for him. I was enjoying dinner with Mrs. S in CA and one of my munchkins. RwNj also lives in the Pacific Time Zone. I’ll leave to FC whether to dignify your snark with a response.

FWIW…the snark was directed at a group inclusive of but much larger than the mods. FWIW there were at least half a dozen posts that went WAY beyond Hitler today and NO **mod or socon **called them out as classless or objected to them in any way. And there was at least ONE molluskator who clearly saw them in addition to the socon regulars. And …I don’t accuse you of not reacting to these comments AFTER seeing them during the day. You did not participate in these threads and easily could not have been aware of them until my report. I’m only sure about one person with mod access ignoring at least some of them after seeing them. As I said…the comment was addressed to the broader audience. The rest I’ve already said to you in private where it belongs.

but are they the most enjoyable? That’s the most important question. Don’t choose a career that you wont enjoy. However, you choose one that you do enjoy and it hardly feels like work. Many college students find this out way too late in the process.

It all depends on the person. I think I would have done well with an engineering degree, but I don’t think I could have handled the credit load. When I was in college, an engineering student carried more than twice the credits considered a full load today. In fact, when I went back to school to get my programming training, my adviser was concerned that I wanted to take 18 credits, since 15 was considered a full load. When I got my bachelor’s degree, I never had less that 18 credits per semester. Engineering students were carrying 32, with probably a lot more homework than I had.

Sounds like we were really pumping out engineering grads back then. Hope they learned all they needed to learn.

We were certainly “pumping them out” in the late '50’s, early '60’s - right after Sputnik. But the number of credit hours didn’t decrease the number of years of study; are current engineering students carrying lighter loads? If so, they don’t measure up to the former quality.

That’s a good question and a no-brainer for me. The answer is a resounding YES. Being presented with technical problems that need to be solved or developing a new process is what gives me enjoyment in the workplace.

My advice is that one shouldn’t get a Liberals Arts degree and then complain that they can’t find a $100K salary job suited to their training. Even on the technical side, your first job usually starts with lots of OJT.

When I went to college through the 80s we typically carried 18-20 credit hour loads. However, all of my core ENG courses usually had labs assocviated with them that were not counted toward the total number of credit hours but were effectively a separate class with the grade being added to the class with it was associated. Unlike the Liberal Arts and Business majors, we pulled all-nighters on a regular basis just to keep up with the workload. Later on, I had to work full-time too so, I had to lighten my class load to 13-15 credit hours and still pull lots of all nighters.

So, when these Liberal Arts majors complain about their lack of employment opportunities or higher salaries upon graduation, they can kiss my __________.

Funny thing, when I was in high school, my chemistry teacher recommended a liberal arts degree over a teaching degree - but that was sound sense, when I found out you can get an education degree in a specific subject with far fewer hours in the subject matter than you would have in a liberal arts degree. But then, you wouldn’t be able to get a teaching job with a liberal arts degree by the time I was in college. You needed all those extra education indoctrination courses to be “qualified” to teach. In Dr. Gayley’s time, you could teach grade school with just one year of normal school, and probably a college degree automatically qualified you to teach high school. This was a long, long time ago, you understand.

Haha we don’t agree on anything but they really need to put your second statement on the college pamphlets. I always think it’s hilarious when people can’t find a job with the degree I’m in and they are surprised.

(I’m joining the military, war will be my business and unfortunately, business is good)

I believe that engineer degrees are generally considered 5-year degrees now. And yes the ENG students do work very hard. Several people in my major pull all nighters too but I think that may be due to incompetency more than workload.