English Hospital Report Cites ‘Appalling’ Suffering

English Hospital Report Cites ‘Appalling’ Suffering
By SARAH LYALL

Published: February 6, 2013

LONDON — Shockingly bad care and inhumane treatment at a hospital in the Midlands led to hundreds of unnecessary deaths and stripped countless patients of their dignity and self-respect, according to a scathing report published on Wednesday.

The report, which examined conditions at Stafford Hospital in Staffordshire over a 50-month period between 2005 and 2009, cites example after example of horrific treatment: patients left unbathed and lying in their own urine and excrement; patients left so thirsty that they drank water from vases; patients denied medication, pain relief and food by callous and overworked staff members; patients who contracted infections due to filthy conditions; and patients sent home to die after being given the wrong diagnoses.

“They were failed by a system which ignored the warning signs and put corporate interests and cost control ahead of patients and their safety,” he added. “There was a lack of care, compassion, humanity and leadership. The most basic standards of care were not observed, and fundamental rights to dignity were not respected.”

This is what inevitably happens when distant bureaucrats dictate the actions, in detail, of the on-the-spot people who actually know what the Hades they are doing!

British Hospital Carnage a Window into US Future
Walter Russell Mead
Blogs.The-American-Interest.com
2013/02/07

ritain was rocked this week by one of the biggest scandals in the recent history of its health system—and it just might be a taste of things to come in the U.S.

The scandal surrounds a recent hospital report’s findings that Stafford Hospital in Staffordshire ignored even the most basic standards of treatment to disastrous, and disgusting, effect. …

As the piece goes on to explain, the hospital’s actions sprung from its single-minded pursuit of cost control. It drastically reduced its operating budget in hopes of qualifying for foundation-trust status, a legal category that would grant it more freedom from central government control. It’s a textbook case of how structural incentives in government-dominated health care systems can lead to terrible outcomes.

Expect problems like this to crop up in the U.S. as Obamacare moves us further down the road of wonk-based health care …

Not to worry … this is just the UK’s scandal-of-the-month. The bureaucrats will surf the sewage wave, study it to death and boredom, and prevent anything remotely resembling meaningful change or solutions.

I lived in Britain for over 2 years, I was very young and do not remember it very well, but my parents told me that tried their best to avoid the healthcare there, we sometimes traveled back to the US for medical issues.

Socialized medicine at its best coming to a hospital near you by 2014.

Yes, one hospital’s bad care represents the whole. My mom works at the health dept, this kind of thing happens a lot. How they manged to kill so many is the question. I question the regulatory org that is supposed to provide oversight and not the “socialized medicine”

Yes, one hospital’s bad care represents the whole.

Well, if you like, next time I can post an unsupported opinion, such as, “The UK’s national healthcare sucks!” So yeah, this is a sample of one, AKA an example. But with a fair amount of Searching here on RO, I’m sure you’ll be able to find quite a few more such examples … speaking as one who posted quite a few.

BOP; you don’t get it , do you? American Nursing homes are a forrunner of some of this. Even with regulations and regulatory boards, too many slip through the cracks. I have designed nursing homes and am well familiar with regulations for building them, getting them open, and then running them. Somewhere in the chain the regulatory process breaks down. When there is a cost control for staff, hospitals , nursing homes, and other health facilities get what they pay for. Look at what happens now in certain hospitals where billing is farmed out, specialized services are farmed out, you no longer have a doctor who is in chatge of your particular problem acting as a coordinator. The Whole socialized process will take the drive to excel and make it a stroll to cope.

Should I google how bad our healthcare is? Anyone can find isolated incidents.

Get bent. If my wife had been diagnosed with cancer after 2014, the bureaucracy would have delayed surgery and treatment enough to cause her death. Anytine that you have to wait on extra layers of Bureaucrats, you have to go through several iterations of them AUTOMATICALLY saying no.

We have the best healthcare depending on your perspective. If you have the dough then we have the best healthcare. On the otherhand American diabetics suffer twice as many foot amputations as diabetics in Europe because they cant afford care to prevent foot infections from turning deadly. The United States leads the industrialized world in deaths preventable with timely care but there are 15 other countries providing every citizen with lifesaving treatments denied to many unfortunate Americans. A patient diagnosed with lung cancer in this country carries a 7 percent chance of bankruptcy within five years. Most family bankruptcies are precipitated by medical crises, and most of those families had insurance when the crisis began. Is this what “the best” looks like?

BS. People in Canada come US to keep from waiting to years to get much needed surgeries and treatments.

I’m not rich yet, my wife was scheduled for surgery anf treatment for her breast cancer immediately after diagnosis. What you prefer is a commie system that would have her wait on some idiotic bureacrat to delay/deny her treatment.

I’m not rich yet and I’m diabetic. I have had to work toward prventing such things. It’s called following my doctor’s advice instead of expect others to do it for me. I know several people that are haveing problems with their diabetes. The reason is because they refuse to follow the medical advice that they get because they think it’s hassle.

You are full of bovine excrement.

We do have the best health care available and it is available to everyone regardless of their ability to pay. You just want everyone to have equally bad healthcare via Obamacare.

Likek I said to the other “fellow”, GET BENT. You want a system that would have killed my wife.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:11, topic:38163”]
BS. People in Canada come US to keep from waiting to years to get much needed surgeries and treatments.

I’m not rich yet, my wife was scheduled for surgery anf treatment for her breast cancer immediately after diagnosis. What you prefer is a commie system that would have her wait on some idiotic bureacrat to delay/deny her treatment.

I’m not rich yet and I’m diabetic. I have had to work toward prventing such things. It’s called following my doctor’s advice instead of expect others to do it for me. I know several people that are haveing problems with their diabetes. The reason is because they refuse to follow the medical advice that they get because they think it’s hassle.

You are full of bovine excrement.

We do have the best health care available and it is available to everyone regardless of their ability to pay. You just want everyone to have equally bad healthcare via Obamacare.

Likek I said to the other “fellow”, GET BENT. You want a system that would have killed my wife.
[/quote] Your wrong wrong wrong. Enough with the personal attacks. My mother fought cancer for ten years. She became too sick to work, COBRA ran out and couldn’t buy private coverage due to her pre-existing condition. I cant even discuss this cause I’m too PO’d

From the report:

The NHS is a service of which the country can be justly proud, offering as it does universal access to free medical care, often of the highest order. It is a service staffed by thousands of dedicated and committed staff and managers who have been shocked by what they heard of the events surrounding the Trust. It is inconceivable to many of them that conditions of the type described by so many patients can have been allowed to exist let alone persist. Those responsible for the oversight of the service, from Ministers to senior civil servants to those in charge of regulatory and commissioning bodies, have been bewildered at how this could have happened without it being discovered sooner.

Important to note this was confined to one corrupt hospital. I’m sure you can find similar situations in America, especially instances where people are denied coverage.

As for ConLib, he’s right in that America has the best health care in the world, and in several instances people come here to receive care instead of going to a local place to get care. The trouble is, most of the public in America cannot afford this top-notch care, so it’s irrelevant when discussing systems like the NHS or Canada’s health care system, which services everybody at no or low cost. Indeed, on average, people in these countries often get better care simply because the poor in America cannot pay for good care.

Good. Because Obamacare would not have fixed what happened to your mother. It would have shortened her stay on this Earth. How dare you expect my wife and others to die via a substandard Obamacare just to make you feel better about what happened to your mother.

I also refuted your other claims about diabetes.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:14, topic:38163”]
Good. Because Obamacare would not have fixed what happened to your mother. It would have shortened her stay on this Earth. How dare you expect my wife and others to die via a substandard Obamacare just to make you feel better about what happened to your mother.

I also refuted your other claims about diabetes.
[/quote] Refute all you want. My family has been through all of it. And people are denied coverage all of the time. I’m happy that it worked out for you but that isnt the case for other Americans. You find yourself without coverage and the funds to pay for life saving treatments then good luck. And besides my own personal experiences I can point to hell of a lot of other examples.

People get denied coverage but they are denied treatment. If they are, the health care facility can be sued. I saw it all the time when I worked in a hospital and I see it all of the time now. People get the same treatments that my wife gets for free. So, yes, covereage from insurance does get denied, treatment is much less likely to be denied.

If my wife were in the same situation and I had no coverage, I would sell everything that I own and work until there is nothing let of me to pay for it as opposed to sitting around, whining, and letting her die because someone else did come along and pay for it. That’s the difference between a responsible person and a Liberal.

Haha okay.

You make light of such facts and laugh at it. You are a young posterior orafice.

Nothing you said was fact. It was personal experience capped with a wide generalization.

And yes, I laughed at it. I’m also laughing at this one I’m quoting.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:18, topic:38163”]
You make light of such facts and laugh at it. You are young anus.
[/quote]His mire at your wife’s health tells me that he really did not care about his mother and is using her sickness as a ploy to get sympathy for himself. Typical liberal thinking. Others hurt, woe is me.