EPA Deprives Farmers of Essential Nutrient

Science-in-Farming Part 4

Sulfur, like magnesium, has always been considered an essential element needed by the plant in fairly large amounts, but it is only in recent years that sulfur or its compounds have been used as fertilizer materials.

The sulfur needed by crop plants comes largely from the [SIZE=4]air, rainwater, and the decay of organic matter in the soil. Where fertilizer is used the sulfates present are important particularly in the low-analysis superphosphate that contains approximately 50 percent calcium sulfate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Sulfur deficiency may be expected, therefore, in areas distant from industrial centers, especially where there is not much decomposing organic matter and where fertilizers containing little sulfates are used.[/SIZE]

Manganese Iron and Sulfur from Science-in-Farming Part 4

So now that the EPA is trying to stop factories from emitting Sulfur, farmers now need to add this element to their soil.

Every time government does one thing it usually affects another. :drink3:

Every time we try to fool with nature, we mess things up.

Remember that old ad “It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature!”

i wish the EPA would limit the use of phosphate based fertilizers period. All the backwash trickles down the river systems into the Gulf causing red tides and killing everything.

There are ways to prevent this problem, the question is are farmers (or corporate farms) doing what they should be doing to minimize “contaminated” water runoff and the resulting erosion.

Here is a story about farmers just trying to save money and in the process helped the contaminated water problem.

Skaneateles farm honored for keeping streams cleaner, using less fertilizer and protecting the land | syracuse.com

Phosphate blooms only occur in Fresh Water.

Or were large amounts of fresh water flows into salt water, 47 percent of the US’s drainage and 52 percent of the agricultural waste and runoff flows down the Mississippi to the Gulf.

The bloom occurs in fresh and flows into marine.
Well, vitamins b1 and b12 also cause these blooms. Wanna outlaw them too?
We old folks remember the Phosphate Debate from the 60s and 70s. Not as damaging as people make it out, to be.

Yeah, I remember when with all the phosphates in Lake Erie, it would not be “cleaned up” enough to support fish for 100 years …

Exactly,and it was phosphate that was destroying the ozone, back then. Somehow, that remarkably changed to CO2, sometime last decade.
And, wasn’t it the phosphates in the detergents that caused the blooms, back then? Runoff from gardens would not release near as much phosphate as doing laundry.

I might be losing track of what you’re talking about, but if it’s Lake Erie, it recovered long before that. By around 1980, it gained a reputation as the walleye capital of the world.

I don’t remember hearing about the blooms, but I do remember when phosphates in detergents were baaaad!

BADDDDD TO the BONE

http://www.3cbang.com/UploadImg/EnImg/2010/8/54759_924006430.jpeg

And in every EPA building there is a picture of Poe Pot hanging on the wall behind the reception desk, commemorating him and his “Year Zero” idea.

Yeah, it recovered because it was a “manufactured crisis”. Just like DDT and refrigerants. They said it would be irreversible, then said it would take a century, then 12 years later, fishermen were flocking to the Great Lakes, and other “troubled” ecosystems to catch the biggest trophies they ever caught. And, we still use phosphate and surfactant detergents today. Time to expose the Econuts for what they are, liars.

Oh yeah,they CLAIMED it caused blooms, though a friend of mine had a lake on their property,and they plumbed their washer out to the pond. I stood in one spot and caught 17 large mouth bass in less than an hour, and a few were large, up to three pounds.