Ex-49ers great Dwight Clark reveals ALS diagnosis

Ex-49ers great Dwight Clark reveals ALS diagnosis
Published March 20, 2017

Legendary San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Dwight Clark, who is remembered for his 1982 NFC Championship game heroics when he hauled in “The Catch” from quarterback Joe Montana, revealed he has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

I would not wish this disease on anyone, but it’s sad to hear that a class guy like Dwight Clark has been afflicted with it.

Very sad, as Clarks generation of 49er’s greats ages it is a reminder of the stark contrast between their era and the “screw America” era that we are seeing today from the 49ers.

Best wishes for Dwight and all of his family as they walk this difficult path.

Is it just me, or do lots of athletes seem to get ALS? Sad news about a man who is truly one of the all-time greats.

The morning drive talkshow host from whom I heard of Dwight Clark’s situation - Brian Sussman, who sometimes subs for Mark Levin and Michael Savage - mentioned that former NFL player have 4X the rate of ALS as the general population.

So not just me. Makes me wonder, but since I’m in the building trades and not in the life sciences, I will just be left hoping others can satisfy my curiosity…