Examine Yourself

Many years ago, I tore my knee and after a few months it appeared to have healed. It did not seem completely healed, but close. However, one wrong awkward step and it tweaked and was swollen once again with a limited range of motion. It appeared to be worse than before and this time it looked like I might need surgery. After listening to Joel Osteen and reading his books and hearing of the healing power and positive thinking, my knee healed quicker than expected and I was sucked into the prosperity teaching.

I had realized my morally depraved state and referred back to the times in which I said the sinners’ prayer and all the times I “asked Jesus into my heart.” I was sincere about things I did wrong and of sins I committed. I was sincere about being sorry for the things I had done. But, was this really godly sorrow or worldly sorrow? Worldly sorrow is about being sorry one has been caught, for example. It is superficial, shallow, not genuine and only leads eventually to death. It leads to death, because it is not true repentance. Godly sorrow leads to repentance and to salvation. Godly sorrow says one has sinned against a sovereign Lord and weeps over the sin and begs God for mercy. This sorrow leads to repentance, i.e. turning from sin and to God. This leads to salvation as forgiveness is found in the Lord Jesus Christ.

In the years since then, I have forsaken the demonic new age false gospel teachings of the prosperity gospel. I realize these teachers such as Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, and Jesse Duplantis are leading people astray and away from the true gospel, so they are eventually leading people to death. Not one thing happens apart from the will of God and these things can be used by God to glorify His Name and lead people to the true Gospel and eternal life. I have also forsaken the teaching of reducing the gospel to five minutes of instruction, repeating a prayer, and popishly declaring someone saved.

I have found the true Gospel. I have learned about regeneration, sanctification, and justification. I have learned the depravity of man and the wrath of God show the need for the Savior. God cannot be just and excuse or ignore sin (Proverbs 17:15). Mankind is morally depraved and deserving of Hell. God is not obligated to save us and would be perfectly just in condemning all of mankind to Hell. A third of the angels were swept from Heaven, thus, they became demons and they have no chance at salvation. In the same way, if mankind had no chance, God would still be just and Holy. Yet, since God is love, He desires to save us.

To maintain His holiness and justice and to forgive us, God took His wrath toward sin out on Christ. Christ lived the life we cannot live and died the death we deserve. He drank the full cup of God’s wrath on the cross as this wrath was poured out on our sin and filth which was imputed onto the One who knew know sin. Thus, His righteousness was imputed onto believers who have faith and repentance. Our righteousness and right standing before God is Jesus Christ, the only Name in which one can be saved.

I have learned about examining ourselves to see if we are in the faith mentioned in 2 Corinthians 13:5-6. [SUP][SIZE=2]5 [/SIZE][/SUP]Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test! [SUP][SIZE=2]6 [/SIZE][/SUP]I hope you will find out that we have not failed the test.

(I John 2:15-17)[SUP][SIZE=2]15 [/SIZE][/SUP]Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. [SUP][SIZE=2]16 [/SIZE][/SUP]For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. [SUP][SIZE=2]17 [/SIZE][/SUP]And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. Also about how in 1 John, the scripture says we know we love God if we obey His commands and walk in godliness.

(1John 2:1-6) My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. [SUP][SIZE=2]2 [/SIZE][/SUP]He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. [SUP][SIZE=2]3 [/SIZE][/SUP]And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. [SUP][SIZE=2]4 [/SIZE][/SUP]Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, [SUP][SIZE=2]5 [/SIZE][/SUP]but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: [SUP][SIZE=2]6 [/SIZE][/SUP]whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

This is not sinless perfection as the Greek word translated to walk means to walk in a style of life. The scripture also says if we say we have no sin we make God out to be a liar.

(1 John 1:8-10) [SUP][SIZE=2]8 [/SIZE][/SUP]If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [SUP][SIZE=2]9 [/SIZE][/SUP]If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [SUP][SIZE=2]10 [/SIZE][/SUP]If we say we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and his word is not in us.

So, we are no longer in a state of sin, embracing sin and loving sin. We are in a style of life of walking with God, hating sin, knowing sin is wrong, and desiring to be with God. When we do sin, we feel the guilt and the pain as we have been convicted by the Holy Spirit and we are led to repentance.

To have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, to have a heart of flesh given to me by God to replace a heart of stone, to be regenerated and to walk with God and know my only right standing before God is my Lord Jesus Christ has replaced the decisional evangelism and the prosperity gospel and I feel more alive than I ever have before. I feel alive. I feel alive, because I am eternally alive and eternally secure in Jesus Christ.