FactCheck.org weighs in: Planned Parenthood does not perform mammograms

WASHINGTON, D.C., October 22, 2012, (LifeSiteNews.com) – Barack Obama, take note. FactCheck.org, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center, has stated definitively that Planned Parenthood does not provide mammograms.

“Women can’t walk into a Planned Parenthood clinic and get a mammogram on the spot,” the website clarifies. “The clinics don’t have mammography equipment.” Instead, the abortion provider “refers women to other facilities to have mammograms performed.”
In the second presidential debate, President Obama stated that “millions of women all across the country” rely on Planned Parenthood “for mammograms.” He made a similar claim just days earlier in an interview with Glamour magazine, whose readership consists of teenage girls.
Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards has also claimed her organization provided “mammograms” last February, feeding the persistent myth that the organization provides these screenings.
The myth had been shattered before, most notably in 2011 when Live Action called 30 Planned Parenthood clinics in 27 states to schedule mammograms. None offered the service.
Following Obama’s misstatement, more than 1,000 people called their local Planned Parenthood facility to schedule a mammogram. They, too, were unable to schedule that service.
“For so long PP has touted that they are a provider of mammogram services,” said former Planned Parenthood Director Abby Johnson. “This is just one of the lies that PP uses to draw people into their clinics.”

LifeSiteNews Mobile | FactCheck.org weighs in: Planned Parenthood does not perform mammograms

If you source factcheck.org, they do provide breast exams and pap smears and sometimes mobile mammogram services at individuals clinics, but no, the organization as a whole does not on principle provide mammogram services. It also helps poor women find financial help for mammograms.

In a statement sent to FactCheck.org, Dr. Deborah Nucatola, senior director of medical services for Planned Parenthood, said that “Planned Parenthood does help women nationwide get access to mammograms,” as part of the health care services it provides to nearly 3 million persons each year. “Women rely on Planned Parenthood for referrals for and financial help with mammograms and specialized diagnostic follow-up tests (like ultrasounds and biopsies) when indicated by age, history and/or clinical breast exam.”

Nucatola said that “for many women,” Planned Parenthood is their only health care provider and “thus the only way they will get a referral for a mammogram.”

The president said that “millions” of women rely on Planned Parenthood “for not just contraceptive care.” Contraception is one of the group’s largest categories of services provided — 33.5 percent of services in 2010. But that means Planned Parenthood provides other services, too. The largest category is testing and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases (38 percent). Cancer screening and prevention services — which would include breast exams — made up 14.5 percent of all medical services. Abortion made up 3 percent, with 329,445 abortion procedures in 2010.

FactCheck.org : Planned Parenthood and Mammograms

If you read the source, it tells a different story. Planned Parenthood is not simply lying to lure in women. They do provide services to help women get mammograms, as well as tests for breast cancer, and some individual clinics do provide mammograms.

Near enough. They ARE luring women for abortions, and fighting tooth and nail against anything that might make people- especially women- think about the issue too much and too objectively. When they do, the cause of abortion suffers.

Instead, the abortion provider “refers women to other facilities to have mammograms performed.”

Nice to see FactCheck.org catch up to what Live Action demonstrated nearly a year ago. A referral to places who do perform mammograms … something that can be gotten from any Ob/Gyn, probably any Family Practitioner, by any intelligently done Internet search. And for that “service” the Komen Foundation gives PP several hundred thousand bucks a year. Just searched “free mammogram” for my city and guess what I found? Maybe PP also uses Komen Foundation $$ to contract for some other group to do the same; the organization whose webpage I linked, on the other hand, owns the equipment and has the skilled people to do this!

PP makes most of its money on contraception–not abortion. I know you would think otherwise, but they would be dead in the water if they had to rely solely on abortion funds. Mammograms? Forget it. Besides, as a woman, the last place I’d go for a mammogram would be in a place stained with the blood of murdered babies. I’d rather die of breast cancer than do that…seriously.

I’m with you!

Ya I normally take the middle road in most arguments but Planned Parenthood is a infection in our society. PPP should just own up to what they are they are a abortion clinic that offers a few other random womens services. When I think of the hundreds of thousands of children that should have been alive today but were murdered by PPP it makes me angry.

Correction: *** MILLIONS.*** 55 million to be exact.

Wow, we’re in agreement?:Thud:

No, they’re lying to lure in federal funding, and support from people who have no idea about what they actually do or do not do.

If you really want to know what PP is all about, read some of Margaret Sanger’s (its foundress) rants. Not hard to find.